Forums > General > BMW M135 - Manual or Auto?

BMW M135 - MANUAL OR AUTO?
Previous | 1 | Next

One seems to think that the manual BMW M135 has been forgotten by road testers. Is the Auto that much better (and more importantly worth the AUD 4K investment) to burry the manual gearbox and never mention it again?

Would love to hear about your experiences, insights, videos, or articles...! :)

With the lack of manual cars available here in Sydney, I personally test-drove the Auto and it's truly fast, precise and extremely efficient, but far from the balanced feeling of a perfect DIY gearchange. To me it felt as if the Auto plus all the other electronics is overkill and the driver is there to floor it and that's it - similar to playing GranTurismo (great game no doubt).

Test drive a manual. If this is never going to be pssible buy an E36 M3 manual. Very analogue! ;)

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

The balanced feeling of a manual gearchange? Not sure I understand what you're trying to describe.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Just another guy who thinks he's Senna and quotes some journalistic bullsh1t about how satisfying manual boxes are etc ...

--

How about not having a sig at all?

It's a bit of an odd question to ask really. If you like manual boxes, go for a manual; if you like autos, go for an auto. Otherwise you're constantly going to be questioning your decision and find reasons to dislike it.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

MartinSydney said...

One seems to think that the manual BMW M135 has been forgotten by road testers. Is the Auto that much better (and more importantly worth the AUD 4K investment) to burry the manual gearbox and never mention it again?

Would love to hear about your experiences, insights, videos, or articles...! :)

With the lack of manual cars available here in Sydney, I personally test-drove the Auto and it's truly fast, precise and extremely efficient, but far from the balanced feeling of a perfect DIY gearchange. To me it felt as if the Auto plus all the other electronics is overkill and the driver is there to floor it and that's it - similar to playing GranTurismo (great game no doubt).

What I would do is personally test drive one and see if it gives you the perfectly balanced feeling of a DIY gearchange and whether or not you feel the auto plus all the other electronics are overkill. That should give you the answer you seek.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

Test drive before you buy? That's too fvcking straightforward.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mito Man said...

Test drive before you buy? That's too fvcking straightforward.

In this case it's more a question of "decide which gearbox you want after driving the auto and deciding you don't like it and the only other option is manual"

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

I swear I'm getting old, because I've been looking at these and all I'm hearing is the "Auto" is the one to have - and I'm tending to agree!

Fool proof - but I'm Mr Manual - Auto sounds satanic!

--

The Clio 200 - has gone :(
The ST220 - has gone :(
The Golf R - is HERE!

If I was in the position to be able to buy one I'd be swayed by the manual. I'd want to try one first though to make sure it's a decent 'box, no point if it's clunky and crap.

Quite nice to have the choice still. I expect the next model generation won't have a manual option at all on the top end sporty versions.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

auto for me, quicker and more economical, and those new 'boxes are fantastic

Auto works better for this engine, IMO.
Guess how I came to this conclusion. That's right... Testdrives! ;)

dudeluk said...

Auto works better for this engine, IMO.
Guess how I came to this conclusion. That's right... Testdrives! ;)

Same experience here as well. I think the engine mapping is more aggressive w/ the auto--not sure but I think the car maintains more boost during upshifts, and with the shorter gears it feels quicker (even if it might not).

Been looking at these today...manual for me...if only because the cash asked for the auto can be spent on other tasty options (Estoril Blue for example).

--

BMW Car Magazine @QuentlyBentin

ShockDiamonds said...

Been looking at these today...manual for me...if only because the cash asked for the auto can be spent on other tasty options (Estoril Blue for example).

Have you learnt nothing?!! :lol: ;)

I'm not drawn to autos, but it must be hard to ignore what everyone is saying about the one in the M135? I wonder which will be more popular on the 2nd hand market? Will it go the way of the E46 M3 where most enthusiasts want a manuel with a lot of SMGs out there.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

mattcambs said...

ShockDiamonds said...

I'm not drawn to autos, but it must be hard to ignore what everyone is saying about the one in the M135? I wonder which will be more popular on the 2nd hand market? Will it go the way of the E46 M3 where most enthusiasts want a manuel with a lot of SMGs out there.

Will boil down to the manual being the rare, pure, trad etc "driver's choice" etc etc as manuals become phased out. For that reason, they may well command a premium.

And no, I probably haven't ;) Seriously, it sounds like a lot of car for £30k will be trying to arrange a drive in one me thinks.

--

BMW Car Magazine @QuentlyBentin

Are there any reviews of the manual out there? I'd be interested to hear how you find it.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

ShockDiamonds said...

mattcambs said...

ShockDiamonds said...

Will boil down to the manual being the rare, pure, trad etc "driver's choice" etc etc as manuals become phased out. For that reason, they may well command a premium.

After three years, that premium will be about £1k tops.

Go for what you prefer if buying new, it's going to depreciate like any other new car anyway.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular