Forums > General > Illegal to have a decat?

ILLEGAL TO HAVE A DECAT?
Previous | 12 | Next

Some rather exciting chaps over on meganesport are debating wether it's legal/illegal to decat a car.

One camp are going down the route of a car needs a mot to be insured. As your car shouldn't be able to pass the mot with a decat then technically you are nt insured.

The others are saying that as you are declaring turbo back exhaust mods your sorted.

Any takes on this?

( guess what my next planned mod is? )

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

Logic should dictate whether it caused the accident so ok but some insurers have obviously learnt a thing or two.

My only insurance claim in the UK I was at fault. Held my hands up and my insurer refused to pay other party and it went to the High Court so that tells you something!

--

I'd rather be wrong than dull

If you get caught (which is extremely unlikely unless you have a silly loud exhuast) then you'll be fine. Technically it is illegal for on road use because the car won't pass its MOT, you would have to be extremely unlucky to get caught though. IMO, a de-cat is the best pound for pound mod, doesn't cost a lot and liberates a few horses and makes 99% of cars sound more 'real.'

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

My only personal experiences with de-catting were with 90s cars, and they passed the emmissions tests at mot time without problem. I know emm.regs. are tighter on newer vehicles, but has anyone with a decatted Megane had it tested?

in straya, the company i work for do not technically stipulate anywhere that mods have to be legal, only that your car is registered for road use.

the only things we won't insure are t/s-chargers, and hilariously race cages and harnesses. :o

I thought the bit of the MOT only specified meeting emmissions? I am sure it was quoted in EVO when someone asked about taking a DPF out when it went faulty.

I would suggest sticking the question in the "Ask EVO" section but you will likely have moved the car on before anyone checks that!

Daddydadbo said...

I thought the bit of the MOT only specified meeting emmissions? I am sure it was quoted in EVO when someone asked about taking a DPF out when it went faulty.

I would suggest sticking the question in the "Ask EVO" section but you will likely have moved the car on before anyone checks that!

If it's the R5T, he won't ;) May be worth sending the question for print in the mag though.

I was under the impression that it technically wasn't legal, though the argument about stating turbot-back mods is interesting. How do you get around it with an N/A car if that's the argument?

--

MarDoubleT

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."

robinoz said...

Logic should dictate whether it caused the accident so ok but some insurers have obviously learnt a thing or two.

My only insurance claim in the UK I was at fault. Held my hands up and my insurer refused to pay other party and it went to the High Court so that tells you something!

Why did they refuse the pay them?

Having an MOT or not doesn't affect your insurance either way so you can quit that shít right now.

Not having a cat will mean an MOT fail and you will also fail a roadside emissions test without it so I believe it's against construction & use regs. So yes, technically illegal but you'd most likely just get a 7 day rectification notice as its not unsafe.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

Daddydadbo said...

Missing cat is a fail, whether you meet emissions numbers or not. Which you won't without a cat anyway.

--

Jobbo said...

On a car made pre 1992, no CAT is legal.

Post 1992, no CAT is illegal.

No idea about the insurance.

Updated December 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM

robinoz said...

Something not right here. Insurers by law would have to pay out to a 3rd party where you were at fault regardless of whether the 3rd party had an MOT, their own insurance or whatever. They may have believed that some of the blame fell to the 3rd party and were trying to argue the payout down, which is what all ins cos do.

--

Jobbo said...

Marv said...

No idea about the insurance.

So here's my proof re: insurance:

Several times I've declared a decat as a mod - so not an issue as they have accepted it as a declared risk

My friend, Ally, had her Seat Ibiza written off when she got sideswiped by a truck on the M60. They soon realised that they'd forgotten to get it MOT'd (2 months since previous one expired). They told the insurance company, who knocked £35 off the payout (cost of MOT).

--

Jobbo said...

Always a popular TVR modification. Cars would be run between tests with just a straight piece of pipe in place , with the CAT being replaced for MOTs.

Like most things only illegal if you get caught.As for insurance, with the number of claims these days I don't know if assessors have the time or inclination to do a check on such things.

Updated December 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM

For what's involved Andy I'd consider the sports-cat turbo downpipe. More power, no warning lights and no messing about come MoT time.

I can get the lights de lighted Russel. I also have a friendly tester.

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

Only concern I would have is with the traffic wombles and that I think they can stop the car being driven if they catch you. it would then end up on a database somewhere that if there was an accident it would probably flag the car for inspection. This is the sort of thing I did with my first Civic VTi (it even passed emissions without the cat) when I was 25, but now I doubt I'd bother with the Fabia as although diesels don't need them it's just not worth the hassle.

Carl.

p7ulg said...

Always a popular TVR modification. Cars would be run between tests with just a straight piece of pipe in place , with the CAT being replaced for MOTs.

Like most things only illegal if you get caught.As for insurance, with the number of claims these days I don't know if assessors have the time or inclination to do a check on such things.

for example, if youre familiar with TVRs and i tell you to look under my Golf to see if it has a CAT, is it something youd necessariliy be able to spot with 100% certainty?

some cars have a cat so far up the downpipe theyre almost impossible to see so i doubt an insurer would care

id be more fussed about the faff for the MOT and how much power it doesnt seem to gain, or can someone verify it makes a big difference on a Megane?

Seems a lot of fuss for a little power gain. Why not go for the best of both worlds with a sports cat?

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mito Man said...

Seems a lot of fuss for a little power gain. Why not go for the best of both worlds with a sports cat?

Piece of pipe: £50
Sports cat: £300

Power gain from piece of pipe > power gain from sports cat

Also, the power gain from removing the cat on a turbo engine can be huge, plus you get faster spool up so more power lower down and a more responsive engine.

--

Jobbo said...

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular