Forums > General > My TTRS - initial impressions

MY TTRS - INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
Previous | 1 | Next

Not been here for a while but I thought I would come back and share some thoughts. I haven't driven the car as much as i would have liked but I've now got enough km under wheels to have formed my impressions.

The TTRS was a replacement for my C63 which some regard as a strange choice but I like small cars with big engines so the TTRS was one of only a few cars that fitted the bill. The TTRS is billed as a 2+2, its not. If you want to take more than one passenger buy another car.

I have the "plus" version which has 360 bhp which to put it into perspective is 5 bhp more than my 911 Carerra S had when I bought it in 2005. In addition, the RS has a stonking middle range due to that turbo.

This is a car that is all about the engine and as other have said its an absolute peach. Ballistic off the line and strong in the mid range is really flies. Probably very slightly slower than the C63 but when you have feet like pigs trotters like mine, so much easier to hook up.

The noise is also something to behold and that five cylnder engine is a real gem. I have the DSG box and it makes a lovely turbo "thwap" through the gears. Certainly not tired of that yet.

Comparisons with the Porsche Cayman are inevitable and of course you will get the purists who will turn their noses up at anything which doesn't hang its arse out at the whiff of throttle. The handling is fine for me - secure and predictable. I was thinking about my C63 the other night as I was driving home in a snow storm - the TT is a joy in those conditions.

Ok, banzai engine so what's not to like?

First of all I specified the magnetic suspension thingy - which comes with the sport button for the exhaust. Waste of money. The handling doesn't need it and to be honest it just makes the car jump around like a pogo stick. Might be worth it if you do a lot of track days. The extra noise is really also not needed. On the standard RS the sport button also releases an extra 30 kmh on the top end but that's standard on the plus so again, a bit of a waste of money.

The brakes. As far a functionality goes they are perfect - but and its a HUGE but they squeal like a stuck pig on light load. Frankly its a shambles and Audi need to sort it out. There are lots of reports about this on the internet and I am currently in discussion with Audi (they are telling me its normal!).

The interior is excellent Audi quality but this is now a six year old model and the controls (particularly the electronics show that), we also have a 2012 Audi Q5 which really shows the TTs age. In particular I wished I had saved the suspension money and bought a decent stereo, the standard fit is rubbish and frankly for a top end car not good enough.

Finally (and this is a small one) I deleted the fix wing on the back and I should not have done.

So in conclusion I am pleased with the Audi, I love its looks, I love the engine and the speed and i love the fact that I now have about 30% better fuel consumption. The next one (provided it keeps the same engine has 400 bhp and latest gizmo's) will be an absolute belter.

Nice car. Pics???

Also, I completely agree about the spoiler. There's one near me, and it just looks great with it. Without, you look like all the others ;).

--

Nuts on the road

I'm not an Audi lover but I've always wanted a TT RS. I expect it's a real weapon to use on the public roads.

--

For sure

Glad you like it.

RACE pads always squeal, don't worry about it.

--

Cheers,
Mike

focus69 said...

Nice car. Pics???
Also, I completely agree about the spoiler. There's one near me, and it just looks great with it. Without, you look like all the others ;).

imo, the spoiler ruins the shape of the tt; though, i'm interested to know why he is sorry about not ticking that option box?;)

as above I think the wrong ruins the lines. It's also totally devoid of function, is it not? I approve of the deletion.

...and yes, they sound delightful

phut said...

as above I think the wrong ruins the lines. It's also totally devoid of function, is it not? I approve of the deletion.

...and yes, they sound delightful

I approve too, nice car, but all the better without the spoiler. I like the subtlety without it too

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular