Forums > General > Insurance Sexism

INSURANCE SEXISM
Previous | 1 | Next

Insurance companies are now not allowed to charge less for lower risk groups as it's discrimination?? Surely that's the basis of insurance, seems mental.

As a man I shouldn't complain, but I'm sure we'll all just end up paying more...:roll:

--

Cheers,
Mike

Gender is the only change, gender only pricing for car insurance should mean woman pay, men pay less.

We'll see :D

carlos said...

Gender is the only change, gender only pricing for car insurance should mean woman pay, men pay less.

We'll see :D

Indeed it's only gender, but why can't the same argument be expanded to people with a history of crashing every car they've ever driven...or people with dangerously fast barely leagal cars.....surely it's discrimination to make them pay extra for their insurance?

--

Cheers,
Mike

Too much money is to be made from increasing women's premiums to be in line with men's, it'll never go down. Infact, they may find some excuse to raise everyone's.

It does seem daft. Surely insurance is all about statistics? And statistically women cause less (cheaper) damage to vehicles. That's not sexism, it's fact.
It's a self regulating system operating in the free market. And should stay that way.

What worries me is all the talk of black boxes. Anyone here fancy having all their driving data beamed directly back to their insurance company?

For the sake of enjoying driving, let's hope, with every fibre in our bodies, that black boxes don't become compulsory.

I watched an interview with the head of the association of insurers or similar about it. He was saying 'We didn't want this.' When asked whether men would see the equivalent benefit of the increase in women's premiums he more or less admitted that we wouldn't, and when asked if this meant more profits for insurers he said it would... so I'm struggling to see why they didn't want it!:?

Thanks a bunch EU, great rule, the only real result of which is more profit for insurers.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Some food for thought for you:

Sex discrimination is illegal under European law, which is how a Belgian consumer group managed to get this ruling made.

Age discrimination is also illegal under European law.

The average car insurance premium in the UK is £971. The average premium for males under 22 is £3600, which drives the overall average up somewhat. It's only a matter of time before some asshat decides to take that one to court.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

NotoriousREV said...

Insurances supplementing the public healthcare are also based on age (as older people typically cost more, which seems reasonable) - so we should also expect prices increases for younger people in the future...

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

I wasn't aware that insurance companies used statistics for calculating risk, I though they just used dice;)

People earning different wages is discrimination, we should all be living on minimum wage and spooning each other to survive. It's what North Korea do and you don't ever hear them complain ;)

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

They could lower male insurance premiums in line with the increase in female premiums to average it all out. Very complicated and no gain in profit but that would be better for the young motorist.

Let's bring in age discrimination and say goodbye to the £200/annum insurance policies a lot of us enjoy on a small car :(

NotoriousREV said...

Sex discrimination is illegal under European law, which is how a Belgian consumer group managed to get this ruling made.

The average car insurance premium in the UK is £971. The average premium for males under 22 is £3600, which drives the overall average up somewhat. It's only a matter of time before some asshat decides to take that one to court.

Worrying indeed.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Women tend to claim less as they're blissfully unaware most of the time, and most scrapes on their vehicles occur "out of nowhere".

NotoriousREV said...

I wondered about this. Saga insurance (unless it's for £1000) all round?...

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular