Forums > Geeks corner > Oil for my 996

OIL FOR MY 996
Previous | 1 | Next

My car needs a top-up so I checked with my tuna to see what oil they used in the last service. Mobil 2000 was the answer. A 10w40 semi-synth, nothing special at all.

Oil choices always seem to cause huge arguments on forums but if they use this when servicing hundreds of cars a year I'm happy to go with the results of their experience rather than half-baked thoughts from assorted intertards.

Plus it's about half the price of Mobil 1, with the current ECP promo it comes to just £19.32 for five litres :)

--

It's not a Golf

The OPC will use 0-40 Mobil 1 in anything from a 10k miler to a 200k miler :roll:

There is a TSB from Porsche that says you can use 0-40, 5-40 or 10-40.

In cars that have some miles on them, oil will run along the bores into the combustion chamber when parked at certain angles when using using 0-40.

10-40 is the same when hot but thicker when cool and it prevents the shameful belch of smoke on start up.

People flounce over an oil debate on the Porsche forum :lol:

Updated December 21, 2012 at 12:31 PM

My conclusion from all the oil chat is get a fully synthetic oil, as they degrade much more slowly. The remainder of the oil "technologies" are predominantly smoke and mirrors.

--

Cheers,
Mike

Do semi-synththetic or all mineral oils even exist now? That's sh1ts from like the 60's :lol:

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Mito Man said...

Do semi-synththetic or all mineral oils even exist now? That's sh1ts from like the 60's :lol:

Yes

Millers Oil NANODRIVE

This seems to be favoured by most on the 911 forums. I'll be changing from the 0W-40 Mobil 1 to this come next oil change.

Taran

Updated December 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM

--

996 Carrera | B7 RS4 Avant | B5 A4 TDI | Leon 1.6SE

Anyone remember Paul Waite, with the nutcase 600bhp 911? I remember him saying he did some comprehensive oil testing for his car and Millers CFS came out best.

So I've used Millers CFS in my lowly powered 968 since I've had it.

The only problem is, I like buying my oil locally, normally. Millers can be hard to get hold of that way though...

--

Yes, yes, yes, I'm doing that all the time. You don't have to remind me every 10 seconds.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular