Forums > General > Known Faults?

KNOWN FAULTS?
Previous | 12 | Next

Whilst pondering possible replacement cars, as one does, I was staggered by the amount of "known" faults on premium cars.

Land Rover/RR seems to have loads, as do BMW, VAG etc.

Why would you buy a car that you knew was going to go wrong? :shock:

Buy Japanese.

:lol:

Marv said...

Buy Japanese.

Yes just do that - at least you can use your car between two recalls :lol:

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

The car in front doesn't belong to the driver, because their car is in for a recall with Toyota?

TADTS

Comments about one of the Power surveys a few years back mentioned Skoda (still riding high on the butt-of-jokes wave)doing well for not being as crap as expected, and Imprezas being scored down for lack of cup holders :roll:
Out of curiosity, are these known faults on new cars or older models?

--

Moon on a stick.

The more kit a car has, the more there is to go wrong. Browse any one make forum regardless of the car and you'll find a plethora of known faults. Those posts will represent a minority of real owners experience as most people sign up to one make fora to diagnose issues they're having.

--

Out of step with the forum.

nuttinnew said...

Comments about one of the Power surveys a few years back mentioned Skoda (still riding high on the butt-of-jokes wave)doing well for not being as crap as expected, and Imprezas being scored down for lack of cup holders :roll:
Out of curiosity, are these known faults on new cars or older models?

My Scooby had a cup holder?

On newish cars. On here the guys with Discos were saying what "WOULD" go wrong. Just sounded inevitable.

As are lokasil bore wear on Porkers, and X5s gearboxes going.

I know what you mean about one make fora but some marques have enthusiasts rather than owners so it's not all bad. :)

An exception to this is the 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe CRTD i bought for my wife a couple of years ago, when looking for one i couldnt find any common faults on-line, in fact almost no issues of any kind.

I commented on here about it at the time and JL quipped that its only because they are that dull and unloved no-one can be bothered to post about them on one make forums :lol:

Daddydadbo said...

On here the guys with Discos were saying what "WOULD" go wrong. Just sounded inevitable.

Yeah, they are kinda like that, unfortunately. I haven't yet had a unique issue. The upside of that is that there's a lot of straightforward fixes for stuff.

For example, when mine decided to start lurching when setting off from a standing start, dropping out of drive and sometimes not selecting drive at all I was fearing the worst and counting out my pennies for a new gearbox. In the end the fix was 10 minutes under the car with some WD40 and some copper grease.

--

nuttinnew said...

Comments about one of the Power surveys a few years back mentioned Skoda (still riding high on the butt-of-jokes wave)doing well for not being as crap as expected

Let's just hope Barry doesn't see this fred.

Too late.

In fairness to my motor, sticky vvt is common, and the only other real failing was the alternator seizing and resultant tensioner failure taking out some pipework. The rest is age related and/or my own stupid fault :lol:

That said, I'm going back to Japanese petrol as soon as I can..

Marv said...

nuttinnew said...

Comments about one of the Power surveys a few years back mentioned Skoda (still riding high on the butt-of-jokes wave)doing well for not being as crap as expected

Let's just hope Barry doesn't see this fred.

I'm well aware they're not, hence the (), twas a comment on how things are reported; a Skoda could be as unreliable as it's VW counterpoint but score higher in surveys.
I muchly prefer the Superb to the Passat, if the mk1 came as an estate I'd have that now instead of the Passat. I think they should do a vRS Roomster as well.

--

Moon on a stick.

New cars are so good that anytime something does go wrong it stands out and people go shouting about it to anyone that will listen. It's as if people have become convinced that there was some point in history when everything always worked all the time. I blame journalists.

There is also marketing involved - one having problems with an Audi will feel that he's just particularly unlucky (and will still give Audi high ratings) whereas one having problems with a Peugeot will say "I knew it, french cars are crap" :lol:

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Loganmotor said...

New cars are so good that anytime something does go wrong it stands out and people go shouting about it to anyone that will listen. It's as if people have become convinced that there was some point in history when everything always worked all the time. I blame journalists.

Yep, my Golf has had a few things wear out on it, but so far it hasn't broken down in the 11 years and 140k I've had it.

My dad kept having to de-coke the carbs back in the 70s and the engines would be knackered by 100k. They needed alot more maintenance back then!

I found a 1960s copy of The Autocar once in a tyre fitting place waiting room. In the advice column a bloke was asking how to decoke the cylinder head after 20,000 miles and he was advised to consider a bearing refresh at the same time.

We've come a long way, baby.

--

pilouil said...

There is also marketing involved - one having problems with an Audi will feel that he's just particularly unlucky (and will still give Audi high ratings) whereas one having problems with a Peugeot will say "I knew it, french cars are crap" :lol:

A year or two bak the Audi A5 was the car that recorded most faults per 1000 cars, closely followed by the S Max. Even allowing for toy count that is poor though.

Say 6 years down the line will there be a market for these cars? Look at Mercedes AMG models from the early noughties. £90k cars barely fetching £7k because they are so expensive to fix. I would love a Range Rover but am too poor and too scared to buy one. :(

NotoriousREV said...

I found a 1960s copy of The Autocar once in a tyre fitting place waiting room. In the advice column a bloke was asking how to decoke the cylinder head after 20,000 miles and he was advised to consider a bearing refresh at the same time.

We've come a long way, baby.

Land Cruiser engine (240 bhp from 4.5l straight six, not exactly overstressed) is designed to run 300k kms before needing opening up for a bearing refresh, and has a 1m km design life. I know I've said it a few times, but I do respect that sort of aspiration for it!

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular