Forums > Geeks corner > I finally got a Mac

I FINALLY GOT A MAC
Previous | 1 | Next

I still didn't make my mind up and wasn't willing to spend my own money on one so asked for one as a Christmas present which I got a week early so I can use it from now for my essays. It's only the 13 inch Air with 3 year Apple care.

I've already booked some man dates so I can spend hours on end in Starbucks on my mac doing fvck all.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

I accidentally dragged the settings icon from the launchpad off onto the right hand side of the screen and it has now disappeared. How can I get it back?
:(

--

Turn the screen to the left so that the icon will fall back into the screen :lol:
(should that work?)

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Yes :lol:

It's somehow returned. Going to install minecraft to see if it works at all.

--

Minecraft works fine. That's all my i7/8GB Air does. So glad I got the Thunderbolt Display with it.

--

Out of step with the forum.

Mitoboy, such is the random nature of what you get inside your laptop these days, your Apple probably has the same internal components as this:

;)

Updated December 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

--

Speed holes.

Probably :lol:

Minecraft does work fine in normal mode but its a bit laggy with my HD texture pack. Oh well no big surprise, good enough for the train journey. Pretty happy with it just because its so light so great for lectures and I'm happy I didn't buy one myself/get the Pro since once you spend a few hours on it the novelty wears off and I'm no Photoshop/video editing expert so the extra spec would have been a waste for me.

Never had a flash drive before so the 4 gigs of ram and the i5 processor feels as quick as my overclocked 16gb i7 Alienware which is awesome in such a thin laptop and the battery has lasted a proper 5 hours with hard use.

Only negative so far is that it gets super hot when playing games or using it hard so you need to be careful to not kill your bollocks :shock:

--

terraria++

I keep threatening to kill my son if he keeps leaving Minecraft running in full screen after he's finished playing it. The number of times I walk into the study and find it with the fan running flat out...grrrrr.

--

Yours too!

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

I got a week early so I can use it from now for my essays.
house for rent in Beeston

Can someone sum up concisely for me what the appeal of Minecraft is? Am I missing out? It looks suspiciously like a game my ex's kid played called Roblox, and indeed I thought Minecraft was just for kids with a lot of spare time who want to build a virtual (blocky) environment?

_ said...

Can someone sum up concisely for me what the appeal of Minecraft is? Am I missing out? It looks suspiciously like a game my ex's kid played called Roblox, and indeed I thought Minecraft was just for kids with a lot of spare time who want to build a virtual (blocky) environment?

You make and build things out of blocks in a world with enemies and animals etc. My 8 year old loves it, spending 90% of his computer time either playing it or watching YouTube videos of others building stuff. When he's not on the computer, he spends 90% of his time talking about it.

I personally don't get it.

--

I tried a demo version of Minecraft last week, and similarly don't get it. There's no goal, so it's basically just a way of killing time.

I think the goal-less thing is partly what makes it. My son and his friends come up with their own goals. My mate's son has built a hotel that "people" stay in and he puts treasure chests in their rooms with useful stuff for them to keep.

--

NotoriousREV said...

I think the goal-less thing is partly what makes it. My son and his friends come up with their own goals. My mate's son has built a hotel that "people" stay in and he puts treasure chests in their rooms with useful stuff for them to keep.

Your first sentence is missing a final adjective. Might I suggest 'dull' or 'aimless'? ;)

Your friend's son sounds like he'll grow up to be a decent chap, though he may have cynicism drummed into him at a young age if people take advantage of his good nature and generosity now.

It's really hard to get into it unless you were there from the early days when there were no more than 50 blocks or so and the game was simple.

It's just like Lego in some respects but digital so with more possibilities. Once you master the basics you can move onto tekkit where you can make nuclear power plants, your own computer systems and automate any tedious tasks but that sh1t is really complicated. It's a good way to waste a few spare hours :lol:

A lot of people are put off by the textures but you can change them to HD. I really like the Sphax texture pack.

Also as soon as you're about to get bored of the game Notch releases a big update. A few weeks ago a new boss was released as were witches, bats, beacons etc.

--

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular