Forums > General > Trailer hitch advice wanted...

TRAILER HITCH ADVICE WANTED...
Previous | 1 | Next

I'm looking to fit a hitch to the old family bus (Touran). Can anyone recommend a place in the UK that fits them for reasonable money. Or should I attempt to do it myself...?!
Thanks! :)

Updated December 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Very easy to fit. All the mounting points for the tow bar will be on your car and if you buy a dedicated wiring loom it will plug into a socket already fitted to your car.

Like John says it's a pretty easy fit, takes about 3 hours all in even when you have captive nuts that are heavily corroded on the threads. This was with twin electrics fitting too.
For buying the towbar and electrics kit itself towequipe are the place to go, I have been using them for about 10 years and the only towbar I had trouble with didn't come from them.

Carl.

Don't do it!!! All of a sudden you'll be dragging your house behind you, badly tarmacking peoples driveways and having an unreasonable amount of Dags in your moveable home.

McSwede said...

Don't do it!!! All of a sudden you'll be dragging your house behind you, badly tarmacking peoples driveways and having an unreasonable amount of Dags in your moveable home.

Yeah, that's not going to happen EVAR!!!! That house dragging should be banned if you ask me anyway!

Thanks for your help John and Dr C!

McSwede said...

:lol::lol: It's a means to an end though, you need somewhere to kip when you are away racing the thing in my avatar.

Carl.

dudeluk said...

I'm looking to fit a hitch to the old family bus (Touran). Can anyone recommend a place in the UK that fits them for reasonable money. Or should I attempt to do it myself...?!

Pretty straightforward to fit, although some need the underside of the rear bumper trimming neatly to suit.

Some also require the removal of the bumper to actually fit the framework.

I've found that most vehicles from 2000 onwards have any mounting holes pre punched for easy identification although some are hidden beneath the sound deadning.

Best bet is to use a manufacturers fitting kit for the wiring as it will come with everything prewires and any bypass relays required too. Scotch locks don't work well with Can-Bus wiring either, avoid using them.

Last thing I can add is that your Touran may need hooking up to diagnostics to program the ECU to recognise the extended length of the trailer wiring coupled to the car.

Flewy said...

Scotch locks don't work well

Racist.

Its not Mik's fault he's from north of the border.

--

Done.

Flewy said...

dudeluk said...

Pretty straightforward to fit, although some need the underside of the rear bumper trimming neatly to suit.

I've found that most vehicles from 2000 onwards have any mounting holes pre punched for easy identification although some are hidden beneath the sound deadning.

Best bet is to use a manufacturers fitting kit for the wiring as it will come with everything prewires and any bypass relays required too. Scotch locks don't work well with Can-Bus wiring either, avoid using them.

Last thing I can add is that your Touran may need hooking up to diagnostics to program the ECU to recognise the extended length of the trailer wiring coupled to the car.

good advice. Most appreciated. So how much do you charge to do it for me..? ;)

dudeluk said...

Flewy said...

dudeluk said...

good advice. Most appreciated. So how much do you charge to do it for me..? ;)

PM me the vehicle reg and your email address I can provide a proper quote.

I'm assuming you like a price for the tow bar and complete kit fitted?

Also I'm near Bristol, so you may find it better value to use a local centre.

Only too happy to help either way!

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular