Forums > General > Audi A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Tronic review

AUDI A4 3.0TDI QUATTRO S-TRONIC REVIEW
Previous | 123 | Next

After trying a late E90 330D last week, I thought it was a bit pointless test driving the A4 today as I'd arranged, but since I've not driven a current A4 or A5, I went along anyway. They managed to find almost the right spec for me to try; a 62-plate (but pre-facelift) A4 saloon in Black Edition form (i.e. 19" 5-arm alloys, as seen on virtually all A3s these days); I'd be after an Avant but otherwise the spec would be what I'd choose. Even the white paint looked good; unexpected.

Didn't faff around fiddling with the car until after I'd driven it. So straight off, the S-Tronic box is basically the same as a DSG and feels really good - smooth but none of the normal auto slurring of ratios. Unlike the DSG Scirocco I tried a few years ago it pulls away without feeling like it's abusing the clutch, though it did rev slightly while changing up a couple of times.

The engine frankly craps on the BMW's 3.0 diesel. It might just be the way it's encapsulated, but it's quieter, smoother, feels more responsive (gearbox no doubt helps) and makes a nicer noise when you extend it enough to hear it. Most unexpected and by no means a disappointment after the 545's V8.

Second surprise was the steering; excellent weighting, and a much nicer steering wheel than the MSport 3-series. It also tramlined less than the BMW despite having 1" larger diameter wheels. The ride was nowhere near as brittle and uncomfortable as I'd expected, so S-Line spec would be fine for me.

Overall, I was intrigued by S-line spec. It's not the crashy sporty model I anticipated; it has a higher basic spec than the SE as well as looking nicer. The seats are more bolstered than the SE but less figure-hugging than the 3-series MSport seats. The leather quality (and in fact the interior in general) is much nicer than the 3-series (E90 or F30); it didn't feel like the step down from my 545 which I was anticipating.

Fuel economy was the bad bit; I didn't drive it far enough to get a proper figure and the car was only 25 miles old, but it was below 30mpg trundling round Solihull :lol: Think it would be better when warmed up, run in and not just playing with it to see what it'll do.

Anyway, I really liked it and am fairly confident an A4 Avant S-Line 3.0TDI S-Tronic will be my next car. There are very few around; I can only assume that's because nobody has tried them, because they're really quite brilliant.

Updated December 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Jobbo said...

Anyway, I really liked it and am fairly confident an A4 Avant S-Line 3.0TDI S-Tronic will be my next car. There are very few around; I can only assume that's because nobody has tried them, because they're really quite brilliant.

They are rare cars and second hand ones command strong premiums, even the old shape.

I'm not suprised you liked it. E90's have terrible steering IMO.

The E90 steering itself isn't terrible, but the tramlining and the thick steering wheel don't do it any favours.

Is this to replace the 545?

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

It would indeed. Not that I feel the 545 needs replacing; it's an economy measure, finally switching to a diesel and paying £500 a month... Hang on... ;) :lol:

You can probably see why I've not signed on the line. Auto Express got 31.2mpg out of the 3.0TDI, as well; that's not good enough in itself to be persuasive.

Jobbo said...

You can probably see why I've not signed on the line. Auto Express got 31.2mpg out of the 3.0TDI, as well; that's not good enough in itself to be persuasive.

I was getting a relatively easy 30mpg from the 3.0 tdi in the Q7 so I would think 40mpg average would be doable if you were commuting in it?

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

I'm not surprised at all.

I fvcking hate the 3.0 diesel that BMW make. It's not bad, but should be so much better. The interiors in the 3 series are also quite plasticky feeling.
Only thing I dislike about Audi is that all their cars look the same but not bad looking. I suppose that's better than BMW where all their cars looks different but sh1t.

Updated December 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

--

How about not having a sig at all?

What does the 545 get in town Jobbo, I bet its not far off 30mpg?

Incidentally, what are 545s worth these days <idle pondering>

I'd probably get £5-5.5k for mine, despite it having a brand new gearbox. As for it getting 30mpg round town... Are you 'aving a larf? I did manage 31mpg on cruise control on the autoroute (or whatever they're called in Belgium and Holland) but it's not going to do more than 22mpg driving into Birmingham; less if there are any proper traffic jams.

AFAIK my boss doesn't get more than 35mpg out of his A5 3.0, and he reckons it's improved after a remap.

Great engine though.

it is a good engine, and seems to have got even better in the new A6.

Love the look of the s-line avant too, make sure it is white !

This review comes as no surprise to me at all.

Isn't the engine different to the one we had in the A5 coupe ?

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

I don't think there was any change until the facelift in the middle of this year (the one I drove was pre-facelift); it gained 5bhp and lost a bit of CO2 but I think it's basically the same engine.

Surprised by the MPG so - we hit mid 30's from new and ended at 38mpg or 39mpg by 9K miles.

--

Surprised at the mpg. I can get easily 40mpg from our 1.8T avant. Which for a petrol estate car I think is fairly impressive!

--

Strong Broo Racing

scotta said...

Surprised at the mpg. I can get easily 40mpg from our 1.8T avant. Which for a petrol estate car I think is fairly impressive!

that is good, and better to drive than the diesel too I suspect ?

How many BHP does the 3.0 V6 Audi lump produce these days?

scotta said...

You are Morgan Freeman AICMVP!! ;)

Most I got out of 3, albeit 2.0t VAG engines was 27 and that was with the missus driving it 60% of the time. There can't be that much difference between the old 1.8 and the 2.0

I suspect you're DIW

HTH :D

--

I've found most modern diesels disappointing in terms of mpg, which is surely their USP?

My old 1.5 dci Clio was good mind. Mum still has it and it returns no less than 50mpg even when being thraped.

My point is that if you drive the 3.0tdi in the same manner that would return 40mpg from the VAG 1.8t, you'll get way north of 50 from the Tdi.

241hp and 400ft/lb IIRC - or near enough

--

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular