Forums > General > FTAO BMW Owners

FTAO BMW OWNERS
Previous | 12 | Next

Purely out of interest who would use this app?

Start me up

--

How are you doing? Is you good becos' I want to know.

My parents.

Used once when the car was lost in Brugge. Used other times to easily find an address on the iPhone and send it to the nav. Used last week in the morning when it was freezing cold to bring the car to a lovely 20 degrees Celsius while all the other plebs were scraping away.

Not as daft an app as it seems.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Me. I've used it since I first got the car.

It's great. I can remote lock or unlock the car. Locate it on google maps and then find locations in a google search and email them to the car so that they're in the idrive menu waiting for me when I get there.

All cars should have this stuff. For someone like me it's a real boon as I can plan my day out at home and send it all to the car in preparation for the following days travel.

If you can't be fussed to do it yourself then ring BMW from the idrive menu and they'll email it for you.

It's full of win :):):)

Why the hell would you want to be able to unlock the car when it's out of sight?

Jobbo said...

Why the hell would you want to be able to unlock the car when it's out of sight?

Sitting on the train wondering if you had locked the car at the station. Getting something out of the car without needing the key would be handy also.

--

Strong Broo Racing

Jobbo said...

With my absent mindedness I sometimes forget whether I've lock the car so it's quite handy to send a lock command to the car just to be sure.

Locking, fair enough - but unlocking?

Jobbo said...

Would you like me to quote a situation where it is really handy to be able to remote lock it too? :D

Jobbo said...

For every action there is an equal or opposite reaction ;)

McSwede said...

Jobbo said...

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction ;)

...only when there is equilibrium ;)

Updated December 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Jobbo said...

The newer BMW's automatically lock after something like 5 minutes if left unlocked when parked (annoying when washing the car) So entirely pointless in most circumstances.

Only time it's useful is if you have keyless entry, don't use the key for a while, battery dies in the key, you can use the app to unlock your car without doing it via the key manually thus stopping the alarm from going off.

--

Jobbo said...

Bit of a stretch but a meet you back at the car scenario when shopping with the wife is the only reason I can think of.

--

Strong Broo Racing

If it's possible for me to use my phone to unlock my car, I can't see it being hard for a thief to find a way to hack into this and unlock it. Offering the facility at all just seems to create potential problems.

It's be interesting to see how the data is sent to the car. It'll be using a pre-shared key for authentication so theoretically you just need to crack that and you're in.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

No ones forcing you to use it!

Orange Cola said...

If you have a post-September 2008 BMW, the functionality is built in whether or not you've got an iPhone. So no, you don't have to use it but I wonder how easy it is for somebody else to hack?

Jobbo said...

Orange Cola said...

If you have a post-September 2008 BMW, the functionality is built in whether or not you've got an iPhone. So no, you don't have to use it but I wonder how easy it is for somebody else to hack?

Just don't renew your BMW online subscription or ask BMW to disable it if you're so paranoid.

The app itself has its own password to enter. If someone's that desperate to steal something from your car then they might aswell smash a window or program their own key like the mafias are doing.

--

Mito Man said...

My parents.

Used once when the car was lost in Brugge. Used other times to easily find an address on the iPhone and send it to the nav. Used last week in the morning when it was freezing cold to bring the car to a lovely 20 degrees Celsius while all the other plebs were scraping away.

Not as daft an app as it seems.

not good for an engine to idle for a long time with low oil pressure, especially when its cold

Updated December 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM

--

WIBBLE

Good thing it doesn't use the engine then.

--

Mito Man said...

Good thing it doesn't use the engine then.

ohh, hows that work then?

--

WIBBLE

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular