Forums > General > OT: Something for the kids at Xmas

OT: SOMETHING FOR THE KIDS AT XMAS
Previous | 1 | Next

OK, so you've opened all the presents, the kids are climbing the walls and you need to get out of the house to work off that turkey + Christmas pudding.. How about some Geocaching ?

It's probably old hat to some of you but I'd never heard of it until this week. Essentially there are some 1,500,000 locations around the world where people have placed a small box with worthless trinkets in, and usually a pad + pen to record visits. It's like a treasure hunt on a worldwide scale.

So you get the geocache app on your smartphone and locate your nearest cache using your phones compass, I found there were 4 in less than a half mile from our house today ! In fact, that would explain why we've been seeing various people walking the perimeter of our grounds with a compass.

After much searching we found our first cache, a small tupperware box under a tree stump! Some 20 odd names were down on the list from people who had found it before and inside was an assortment of things like pencil erasers, hair bobbles etc. Harry took out a car-shaped eraser and put in a spangly pencil. He was super chuffed.. and of course it's free.

It certainly gives the toddlers an interest in getting out and about in the countryside.

Here's their website http://www.geocaching.com/ whack in your postcode, you'll be surprised how many there are near you.

Updated December 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

Her indoors likes to do this every so often and I can see the allure too.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

DeskJockey said...

Her indoors likes to do this every so often and I can see the allure too.

Arthur Daley... Is that you?;)

--

Tree Trunks, I'm all jacked up because of you. Look at my jacked up face!

I guess it's good fun for kids, but I always think it's a strange wee hobby for adults. Don't know how true it is, but I herd of someone who was arrested because the police thought he was planing a bomb under one of those big flower pots they have in town centers.

--

Entirely pointless

Aware of the existence of it.

It's fvcking sad. Sad for adults and sad for children.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Good way of making a walk in the countryside a lot more interesting :)

Just be careful folks - farmers having been finding theseboxes on their land far off the route of public footpaths/ rights of way etc and getting upset with people 'trespassing' to get to a few of the boxes.

B_T_S

Updated December 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM

--

There's no replacement for displacement

What a great iiidea, I'm out with the kids and dog every day so now I Have. 80+ things to look for within 4 miles. :lol:

KIDS WILL BE THRILLED :D

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular