Forums > General > A free pass for Aston's Dr Bez... again?

A FREE PASS FOR ASTON'S DR BEZ... AGAIN?
Previous | 1 | Next

Just finished the story about the new Vanquish and the follow-up interview with the companies CEO.

Here's the thing...

When is Dr Bez ever going to face some direct questions from a knowledgeable journalist about the big 'Q' problems at Aston Martin -- you know, QUALITY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmL2rl1j8Q

Here's video about a 9,000 mile DB9 that destroyed its engine (complete with an engine teardown and investigation into the catastrophic failure, which clearly resulted from poor oil management within the engine...) The worst is when the pistons are revealed to be nothing but off-the-shelf Ford units... Unbelievable.

Updated December 15, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Speaking to a Ford engineer recently described the Mondeo V6 as "more like half an Aston engine rather than a pair of V6's bolted together".

Maybe people should think of if another way around? Either way Porsche engineered the motor first.

Yeah the good old days of pointlessly unique components, the inability to interchange with any other car in production and an ever dwindling worldwide supply.

--

Whiskey is my yoga

So what is your beef, is that your car?

--

Whiskey is my yoga

Clearly not interested and just spreading.

I wonder how many "off the shelf" vag bits you might find on a Bugatti or Lamborghini engine?

The air con units in the gallardo are I believe out the A6 - I wouldn't see that as a problem at all.

--

Strong Broo Racing

It revs about as high and will have similar gas pressure so why do the pistons need redesigning, if they are proven to work reliably in the Ford engine?

--

Cheers,
Mike

caneswell said...

It revs about as high and will have similar gas pressure so why do the pistons need redesigning, if they are proven to work reliably in the Ford engine?

I would imagine they looked at the ford items that had had thousands of hours of testing already and had been out in thousands of road cars already and thought - yep they'll do!

--

Strong Broo Racing

scotta said...

caneswell said...

I would imagine they looked at the ford items that had had thousands of hours of testing already and had been out in thousands of road cars already and thought - yep they'll do!

Technically running less power per cylinder too, so should in theory be more reliable. As the video states it looks like oil issues however they're not all falling over at 9k miles. More info required.

I'm indignant! about..something! brrrfffgggshshs.

I don't think there will be any more understanding of why the component failed as the geeza seems quite surprised that there are alloy components inside the engine in the first place.
The rear two cyl are furthest away from the pump a 7 yr old car that has done 9000 miles. The newer pistons are better no question about that and have a better oil jacket. But they won't last long if they are starved of oil either.

--

Whiskey is my yoga

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular