Forums > Geeks corner > Laptops

LAPTOPS
Previous | 12 | Next

I can't get comfortable using a tablet so a new laptop is on the horizon. What's good? Needs plenty of storage for photos and music, needs to be able to connect via HDMI to the telebox and mainly just for internet, photo editing....maybe a bit of video editing one day but I don't play games.

<£400

--

Cheers,
Mike

This isn't 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure any laptop which costs £400 will have everything that you're looking for. Just buy one of the place which gives you the longest warranty like Peter Jones.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mito Man said...

This isn't 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure any laptop which costs £400 will have everything that you're looking for. Just buy one of the place which gives you the longest warranty like Peter Jones.

Yep not looked at Laptops for ~6 years. Are Acer, Lenovo, Advent etc any good or better with a more well known brand.....or am I just so out of touch these are now well known brands?

There seems to be infinite choice are they all basically the same now, or anything worth going for/avoiding?

Windows 8 any good?

Updated December 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM

--

Cheers,
Mike

Avoid Advent as from personal experience, POS!

How about this Acer:

Acer Aspire

Mate just got an Acer V3-571 for £419-ish. I'm setting it up and it is quite impressive for a budget box. Main drawback is the 1366x768 display. Otherwise it has all you need.

Get the G version if you want dedicated graphics (a must if playing anything more challenging than Hearts).

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

How about this Acer:

Acer Aspire

Ah. Go with this one. Mate's has exactly the same specs except 6 GB RAM and he paid £20 more.

Updated December 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM

--

DeskJockey
---

My ACER Aspire is still going strong after six years, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Seems like decent kit these days too.

Just remember to get rid of all the bloatware. They still come heavily loaded.

If you get a Win8 one and want something that doesn't look like a toy for toddlers, I used this to get it back to something akin to Win7.

Updated December 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM

--

DeskJockey
---

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

How about this Acer:

Acer Aspire

Cheers Alex. We were on the lookout for a new laptop to replace our ageing Acer Aspire & this one fits the bill nicely. A quick look around the net & it's a good price too as it comes with the i5 processor instead of the slower i3. Ordered. 8)

Updated December 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Just to counter anything above - all the Acer's we've had at work have been utterly shite. Power hungry pointless apps, that render them useless and astoundingly slow and then they break.

HTH :D

Budget Acer breaks at work shocker ;)

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Yep, the last two places I worked had Acers. They were sh*te.

That was a few years ago now, so to be fair, their quality may have improved. Though they are an Italian company, so I very much doubt it ;)

--

Speed holes.

The one I linked is pretty good value. Like most objects, things break so check the warranty and if the do, it's not going to hurt your wallet too much.

I'm just amazing that 5 years ago, I paid four times as much for a similar spec Dell laptop and that had nothing but problems and faults.

Dell Outlet is your friend.

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Open up any laptops and you'll see it's a mish mash of various components. It's probably not even assembled by the manufacturer but rather a bigger company who makes multiple latptops for multiple brands.

I've bought sh1t Vaio's upwards of a grand and great Lenovo's which cost £300. It must be a element of luck.

I remember my dad bought himself and me identical dell XPS laptops about 5 years ago. When we opened the slot to upgrade their RAM they were different makes! On the exact same laptop.

So just buy whatever works well and you like and maybe if you're lucky it won't be an absolute pos.

--

Mito Man said...

Open up any laptops and you'll see it's a mish mash of various components. It's probably not even assembled by the manufacturer but rather a bigger company who makes multiple latptops for multiple brands.

I've bought sh1t Vaio's upwards of a grand and great Lenovo's which cost £300. It must be a element of luck.

I remember my dad bought himself and me identical dell XPS laptops about 5 years ago. When we opened the slot to upgrade their RAM they were different makes! On the exact same laptop.

So just buy whatever works well and you like and maybe if you're lucky it won't be an absolute pos.

Do you ever say anything that's true?

--

Out of step with the forum.

Want to open the case of your latop and take a picture and then post it here to show that I am correct?

--

I've run fleets of laptops of pretty much every decent make and model over the last 16 years of my career. I've opened more laptops more times than you've had sex. You're talking shite.

Edit: to be clear, the bit you're talking shite about is the opening of two "identical" laptops and finding them to be different "makes".

Dell generally use proprietary motherboards (especially back then) and the motherboard will have been the same as would the vast majority of components.

Memory will be taken from a pile that is the right spec from whoever is delivering them the cheapest that day.

Lenovo run the largest assembly plant on the planet.

Just because individual chips or components are manufactured by different companies doesn't mean the laptop is a different "make".

Stop being so naive and learn how the world works before making these great declarations of truth that you've learned.

Updated December 16, 2012 at 8:27 PM

--

NotoriousREV said...

I've opened more laptops more times than you've had sex.

You've opened three laptops? :?

mik said...

NotoriousREV said...

I've opened more laptops more times than you've had sex.

You've opened three laptops? :?

No, just the one.

--

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular