Forums > General > Recommend me a network cable...?

RECOMMEND ME A NETWORK CABLE...?
Previous | 12 | Next

So after much frustration trying to sort my home networking woes out, I'm tempted to ditch all of my existing cables and buy some new ones. For whatever reason my devices seem reluctant to stay at gigabit reliably, and keep on dropping back to 100Mb.

So, what cables would you recommend?

These are what I'm using at the moment, they're about 3 years old:

http://www.ebuyer.com/130694-plexus-cat6-snagless-utp-patch-cable-red-5m-plex-0162

Dude, most CAT5 will hold a gigabit connection all day.

Get a better switch. Your one is clearly either shit, or fucked, or both.

It's a netgear GS608. That should be ok shoudldn't it, I thought they were fairly solid?

My ROUTER, on the other hand, *is* shit . A thomson 585 v7. But that shouldn't affect stuff the other side of my switch one iota should it?

Updated December 14, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Beany's right, there's no need for Cat6 at all.

Sounds like the switch is faulty.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

_ said...

It's a netgear GS608. That should be ok shoudldn't it, I thought they were fairly solid?

My ROUTER, on the other hand, *is* shit . A thomson 585 v7. But that shouldn't affect stuff the other side of my switch one iota should it?

The router is probably the gateway so yes it would.

Diesel Taxi said...

Ah, that's interesting. Can you explain to me like I'm 5? :)

Diesel Taxi said...

_ said...

No. Devices talking to the switch should negotiate the fastest speed both are capable of eg hopefully 1G/Full Duplex. The switch will open a direct connection between the 2 devices talking. Assuming it is a switch and not a hub. So 2 devices connected to the switch talking to each other shouldn't be affected by the speed of any other device.

If the router is 100Mb, then obviously you can only talk to it at that speed and the Internet is limited by the broadband connection.

Updated December 14, 2012 at 7:45 PM

--

If you're feeling flush, this should be ideal. Your link text

Or if you want a cheaper option, this one is half the price. Probably not as good though. Your link text

If I remember rightly, Gig Ethernet uses all 4 twisted pairs, where as 10/100 only uses 1 pair. Is the Cable working loose at all, and are the contacts clean ( Wipe with Isopropyl Alcohol? ) I've seen some CAT 5 patch leads that didn't like Netgear Switches (because the cable wouldn't stay seated correctly)

I have repositioned my switch to give the cables a straighter run into it, and it seems to be staying green at the moment... I'll see if it's still good in a day or two.

Still having problems with the networking between my mac and my PCs though, even when everything appears to be 1gbit-ing.

Have booked the mac into the genius bar at apple on Monday, starting to think it's a hardware issue within it.

Rev is correct about the switching, FWIW - but you knew that.

If the NIC on your mac is dying, I'll choke on my chips - I'm around broken macs all day, I've never heard of NIC, specifically, dying. Bear in mind the Mac gear are mostly high end intel chipsets, and chipset components, in a custom board. The PC equivelant would be a Dell Precision in terms of the quality of components.

I'd strongly suggest that if raw network speed is a requirement, get a basic, SME class managed switch (they can be had for well under £100), enable Jumbo Packets, and read up on Samba/SMB tuning.

Updated December 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I don't *need* 100MB/sec, but at the moment I don't even have enough speed to the mac to stream a 1080p film from my Windows box. Which should be no more than 3-5MB/sec really.

And I've no idea why.

I did have a thread about this months ago, but in the end I gave up trying to fix it and just accepted it. Since then I've reinstalled the mac completely, which I had hoped would fix it. It has not :(

Everything was perfect up until the day that I installed Boxee 1.5. A part of me thinks that Boxee have somehow crippled my Mac in an effort to persuade me to buy a Boxee box instead...

But like I say, I've reinstalled it fully, and using XBMC now.

Both machines are running at gigabit now, but I still can barely stream stuff from windows to mac.

Link me to something useful about samba/SMB? Pretty please? :)

Ah no it's not, my windows machine has dropped back down to 100Mbit again.

Still, 100Mbit should be *plenty*, and the fact of the matter is it still wasn't working even when it was on gigabit.

_ said...

Still, 100Mbit should be *plenty*, and the fact of the matter is it still wasn't working even when it was on gigabit.

Can you borrow a switch off someone just as a test?

Updated December 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM

--

Lies

Updated December 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM

NotoriousREV said...

_ said...

Can you borrow a switch off someone just as a test?

Maybe. Or I can just buy one from PCworld tomorrow and take it back.

I picked up a DLINK 8 port Gig switch from Scan.co.uk for £19 last week, they also had 5 port ones for about 12 IIRC.

Worth a shot. Netgears consumer gear is shit these days though, look at the Prosafe business stuff, it's still reasonably/usefully overspec'd.

TBH if you have a GB link then you shouldn't need SMB tuning to get HD films to stream, especially not compressed content (torrents etc, of license free films of course ;) ) - I'd put money on Boxee being knacked.

If you get a switch that'll hold a 1000mb connection and you still have trouble, try setting up just basic sharing from device to device, see if the problem remains - bypass Boxee.

Beany said...

TBH if you have a GB link then you shouldn't need SMB tuning to get HD films to stream, especially not compressed content (torrents etc, of license free films of course ;) ) - I'd put money on Boxee being knacked.

If you get a switch that'll hold a 1000mb connection and you still have trouble, try setting up just basic sharing from device to device, see if the problem remains - bypass Boxee.

1) using xbmc now, not boxee

2) even just copying files in windows/finder shows the network to the mac to be heinously slow. As does the fact that it only gets 10Mbit on speedtest.net when my windows PCs both manage 18/19.

My HD camcorder stuff is 25Mb/s, and that streams fine even over 100Mb/s mains plug (though not over Wi-Fi ) So if it's not working on you switch, there something badly wrong!

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular