Forums > General > Is it the best time of year for driving fun ?

IS IT THE BEST TIME OF YEAR FOR DRIVING FUN ?
Previous | 12 | Next

So grip is minimal at this time of year so anything RWD becomes lethal right ? Well maybe not, every journey I have taken in the last 2 week's has been a sideways one. Every round about and junction is an invitation to have fun :)

So what's everyone's opinion on this ?

--

New Skool Turbo Power

YouTube Channel

Great fun when it is consistently minimal. I was on a fast road at the weekend however which was very inconsistent. Mostly dry and grippy but some icey patches on some corners. Inconsistent = slow down and/or 5hit yourself. :?

It's the best time of year for low speed fun. I know BMW owners who abandon their cars in this weather but I've stuck some heavy salt bags over the rear wheels for extra traction and most quiet none treated roads become a low speed playground. Lots of sliding action whilst I shout "watch this" in a clarkson accent.

Updated December 14, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Nah, autumn / spring are good. Nothing wrong with a bit of rain to make it interesting, but ice or the potential for ice has me backing off a lot.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

The local council seems to have been a bit overenthusisatic with the salt over the last couple of weeks, which makes me a bit less keen to get the TVR out of its warm, dry hibernation cave.

And it's just too bloody cold for the screen-less, roof-less, heater-less Westfield. (yes, I know I need to just regrow my testicles and/or buy a bigger coat)

--

Chief Wheel and Cake Monkey - Strong Broo Racing

3rd gear drifting :D

--

Whiskey is my yoga

I hope we get some decent snow again this year. I do miss my various RWD cars (S14 200sx, mk3 Supra, Monza), but when we had loads two years ago I discovered that a long-wheelbase van is oh-so-stable once a slide is initiated with the handbrake :D

It was a touch scary the other day driving an S2000 in these conditions. Hurtling down a B road, the one Hankook on the rear gripping while the budget tyre is spinning so the car was snaking up the road. Apart from that I might be driving round in a new car before Christmas if all goes to plan. 8)

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

I mostly drive with kids in the car so no. It is all very well getting your rear end out but on slippery roads it is the idiot in the large van or 4x4 hogging the middle of the road coming in the opposite direction that worries me!

djchocice said...

It was a touch scary the other day driving an S2000 in these conditions. Hurtling down a B road, the one Hankook on the rear gripping while the budget tyre is spinning so the car was snaking up the road. Apart from that I might be driving round in a new car before Christmas if all goes to plan. 8)

8)

:?:

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

djchocice said...

It was a touch scary the other day driving an S2000 in these conditions. Hurtling down a B road, the one Hankook on the rear gripping while the budget tyre is spinning so the car was snaking up the road.

:shock:
Please tell me this is a very temporary situation?

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

mattcambs said...

djchocice said...

It was a touch scary the other day driving an S2000 in these conditions. Hurtling down a B road, the one Hankook on the rear gripping while the budget tyre is spinning so the car was snaking up the road.

:shock:
Please tell me this is a very temporary situation?

I'm close to buying it. Basically I need to have my car sold soon and if I can get the price down a bit then I'll be buying it. Mileage is high but apart from a scuff and the shit tyres it's in good nick. If it gets bought the first place it's going is for a new Hankook tyre on the rear (Ventus btw) and for a wheel alignment, geo set-up at the local tuna.

Considering I've wanted an S2000 since I first saw one in 1999, it was every bit as brilliant as I expected. I was more surprised how it rides better than the Civic and is a lot more comfy. Then there is the gearbox and that engine, which are frankly leagues ahead of anything I've driven before on the road. 8)

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Marvellous. Is it me, or has the number of proper performance cars owned on this forum been steadily rising over the last year or two?

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

duncs500 said...

Marvellous. Is it me, or has the number of proper performance cars owned on this forum been steadily rising over the last year or two?

I'd say the number hasn't risen that much, but the quality has increased dramatically (VXR8's, Exige, Elise's, VX220's, 911) to name a few.

--

Can't say I enjoy these conditions. Having the steering wheel suddenly go light as I'm pushing on mid corner does give the arse muscles some good exercise.

Updated December 14, 2012 at 1:55 PM

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Mito Man said...

Having the steering wheel suddenly go light as I'm pushing on mid corner does give the arse muscles some good exercise.

It's Christmas holidays as well, so no doubt it's not the only thing giving them good exercise, I'm sure daddy makes you work for those Christmas presents.;)

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

What?

--

Mito Man said...

What?

I'm implying that your father buggers you in return for expensive Christmas presents. HTH.;)

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

Just because that's what happens in your family does not make it normal to go assuming that everyone else does it.

--

I prefer spring. Nice cool air for my Turbo to suck up, cleaner roads, probably quite dry too.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular