Forums > General > Tesla Model S...

TESLA MODEL S...
Previous | 1 | Next

..doing a burnout. 8)

--

Cockwallet

I thought it was going to be a picture of one going up in flames.

They have a 17 Inch screen in the interior :shock:

_Mick_N said...

They have a 17 Inch screen in the interior :shock:

This is something I imagined would happen.
Why bother with loads of switchgear when the whole dashboard could be virtual. No stereo controls, just use an ipad/Poweramp style app etc.

Particularly bad example of it in use there though...

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GT-R/ 320d MSport

To use the Tesla isn't so bad.
No a bad example of a touch screen would be the CUE in the new Cadillac. It has pop up screens circa AOL 1998 and you need to go thru various steps to adjust the volume.
This will be a killer in Miami OAP's

--

Whiskey is my yoga

Been poking and prodding one in work today

Sadly didn't get to drive it.

Bigger in the flesh than I thought, huge boot and and lots of space in the front too. The touch screen was much better than I thought and positioned well.

Cannot see the point of the the fold out third row seat. Typical Yank build quality. No robustness to the interior trim at all with some of the exterior worst panel gaps and flushness I've seen in a long time. But hey, they sell well.

Lots of leather and soft trim covered finishers. The frameless rear view mirror is particularly nice.

21" wheels :shock:

From a usability POV, touchscreens generally suck for cars, for the simple reason that there is no tactile feedback. I can change to radio preset 3 in my car simply by feeling for the button. Or turning up the fan because I know where the knob is, and I know that 4 'clicks' puts it on max. All that gets defenestrated with a touchscreen. I can see _why_ they've done it, but they're wrong.

--

Meh

_Who_ said...

All that gets defenestrated with a touchscreen.

I see what you did there.

_Who_ said...

From a usability POV, touchscreens generally suck for cars, for the simple reason that there is no tactile feedback. I can change to radio preset 3 in my car simply by feeling for the button. Or turning up the fan because I know where the knob is, and I know that 4 'clicks' puts it on max. All that gets defenestrated with a touchscreen. I can see _why_ they've done it, but they're wrong.

Even if the touchscreen had haptic feedback, it has nothing physical to grab so you can't precisely turn/press the temperature controls unless you look at it and your finger isn't jiggling around.

I dread to think how bad it is having a 17" light infront of you driving at night. Bad enough when people have a 4" sat nav in day mode on the dash.

Ok so it probably auto dims but my old man's old Saab used to be able to turn off all lights but the speedo. Even in dimmest most it's still going to be a glaring eyesore by the looks of things (happy to be proven wrong)

No windscreen reflections issues from what I can see that would be the main piss off factor for me. Lots of vids on Youtube and doesn't look too bad. You can also just have the top and bottom half of the screen showing.

Updated May 22, 2015 at 7:05 AM

_Mick_N said...

No windscreen reflections issues from what I can see that would be the main piss off factor for me. Lots of vids on Youtube and doesn't look too bad. You can also just have the top and bottom half of the screen showing.

So, you can have the whole screen showing, at the same time? wow. Tesla have really gone to town there! :roll:

Ali. said...

..doing a burnout. 8)

I'm amazed it took this long for somebody to film this.

First thing I did when I drove one at a press event was to turn off all the TC (something the onboard computer strongly suggests you don't do, in a HAL-esque way) and thoroughly enjoyed what a closet hooligan it is.
The insta-torque combined with a very low CoG made it a lovely driftmobile.

What impressed me most about the car was the superb damping. Compared to the harsh and crashy M5 Competition Pack I'd borrowed for a few weeks just before I drove the Tesla, I seriously believe the Tesla had a much better ride/handling set up.

For a relatively new start-up, it was mindlblowingly polished and well-developed.

The 690hp AWD version must be simply the fastest car cross country of that size.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

securitycheck said...

_Mick_N said...

So, you can have the whole screen showing, at the same time? wow. Tesla have really gone to town there! :roll:

:lol:

--

Meh

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular