Forums > Moaning forum > Computer says no...

COMPUTER SAYS NO...
Previous | 1 | Next

Is there not a real human being left working in customer services, rather than brainless automatons that can do nothing but read from the computer screen - even when they already know the information is wrong!

Have just spent best part of a week arguing with my bank after a computer error reset my address to a house I lived at more than 10 years ago.

First of all, they wouldn't even let me report the problem, because I failed the security check by giving the "wrong" address. Things didn't get much better from there.

Even when they admitted that they had a known fault which had caused the problem, they wouldn't authorise a change of address without written permission. And guess where they wanted to send the form?

Today, I spent nearly an hour on the phone with some apparently senior "resolution manager", who was insisting that the letter, card and chequebook I was holding in my hand didn't exist, because the computer had no record of sending them out.

Some days it really feels like your either stuck in a Kafka novel, or it's all some elaborate practical joke that I'm yet to hear the punchline for. :roll:

--

Chief Wheel and Cake Monkey - Strong Broo Racing

I take it this was an English bank with no branches in Edinburgh? Bloody irritating.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

It was Lloyds, and going into branch was my solution to the change of address form problem.

The issue is that the problem has evolved, and I haven't wanted to go down to my little provincial branch every 5 minutes, only to be told that they don't have the authority to do X, Y or Z, and I have to deal with customer services instead.

--

Are you still having issues? I'll get the CFEG to chuck some advice across if you are (ie what to say and who to speak to)

Get a HSBC Premier account.

Scottish People will speak to you.

:D

--

Waiting for the Technological Singularity.

Orange Cola said...

Are you still having issues? I'll get the CFEG to chuck some advice across if you are (ie what to say and who to speak to)

*Looks* like it's sorted now - although I've thought that before and more issues emerged. Cheers for the offer though.

I have also now had £300 off them in compensation, which is better than a kick in the teeth.

Fortunately, I still own the old address and the tenants have been very good about forwarding stuff on to me, so I know what's going on.
I shudder to think what would have happened to the torrent of cards, PINs, chequebooks etc if I didn't have contact or the people were less honest.

Updated December 13, 2012 at 7:46 AM

--

I'm surprised you had the problem with Lloyds, I've had a current account with them since I was a youth, and in general thought they've been very good. Had a Barclays account and it was horrendous by comparison!

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

NatWest once amalgamated two of my addresses to create a new, unique address, then started to send my correspondence there.

They didn't give me £300 in compensation though :(

Updated December 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM

--

Food | Large format print & graphics

Your issue is banking with an enormous bank. You are one of hundreds of thousands of customers. With so many customers, everything has to be automated. This will cause the occasional cock-up. More occasionally this cock-up wont be able to be fixed easily by the first-line less than minimum wage call centre operative, who probably spends most of their day telling old ladies that they will send out a new cheque book for them. This guy wont be allowed to fix the problem himself, because a, he's probably an idiot, and b, there would be a huge security problem when/if he made a mistake using his unlimited customer record editing power.

If you want a more personal service, you have to pay more and get a private bank account with one of the smaller banking firms, a C.Hoare and Co, etc. Otherwise you are just another cog in a very big machine.

It was an annoying problem, and you'd think it could be easily sorted. However, exactly because it was so difficult to fix, is why most of us have nice, safe, cheap banking

Ignore what Mary Portas says, your bank owe you nothing. (Sadly). If you dont like it, move bank. They will be shit too though.

This advice is the can be extrapolated to almost anything - supermarket, utility supplier, mobile phone company, any high street retailer, Airline etc etc etc

Updated December 13, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Totally agree with most of that. Especially about it applying to virtually every major customer-facing institution. They all seem to have now twigged on to the strategy of deliberately employing powerless gimps in call centres to simply make the noises of helpfulness without actually being able to actually do anything that might be inconvenient for the company.

RichardMajor86 said...

your bank owe you nothing. (Sadly).

On that point I disagree. They are paying me next to sod-all on a large amount of my money, which they are busy lending to some poor first-time buyers at an extortionate rate of interest. The least they can do is competently manage the transactional side of things, in line with their FSA, Data protection etc obligations.

--

Got a premium account with Barclay's. I have a direct number (and email and mobile) for my "personal" manager. It is worth it just to be able to call him and request he gets it sorted.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Barclaycard refused a ~£600 payment on my card and locked the account after ringing my parents house for confirmation....not the mobile number they also have. I then had to ring up and go through security to un-lock the account. I failed numberous levels of "security". The first question was asking the value of a transaction I made at some random garage in the middle of the month 5 MONTHS EARLIER. I told him that was stupid...eventually after numerous other failures we went to another level of multiple choice answers. Begining with..

India: "Which of these names means something to you"
Me: "That's not a question!"
India: Lists 4 random names and "none of these"...:roll:

....Eventually they unlocked it, and I had to ring John Lewis to put the order through again.

This is the card I buy everything on every month for about 10 years now...how about I ring you when someone other than me uses it, rather than randomly block payments.

--

Cheers,
Mike

nefarious_ said...

I shudder to think what would have happened to the torrent of cards, PINs, chequebooks etc if I didn't have contact or the people were less honest.

I had exactly this scenario with my business account at HSBC. They even sent the replacement set there as well. It took months to sort out, by which time I'd binned them for NatWest.

Some tit also sent a load of stickers I had made there too. :lol:

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

Tim said...

nefarious_ said...

I had exactly this scenario with my business account at HSBC when I forgot to tell them I'd moved. They even sent the replacement set there as well. It took months to sort out, by which time I'd binned them for NatWest.

Some tit also sent a load of stickers I had made there for free too. :lol:

EFA

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular