Forums > General > New do it all car?

NEW DO IT ALL CAR?
Previous | 1234 | Next

Next summer my Wife is likely to start teaching in the village school. I work 5 minutes walk from our house already and that will make two cars a bit silly.

Sensibly I should sell the Saab and keep the CRV but I know I will get itchy feet with just the CRV.

Ideally I need a car that will push on when needed but still be able to tow our caravan. I also want it to be safe.

So far I have considered an X5 4.4i as they are stupidly cheap but tyres are probably quite dear and I am worried the gearbox is the same as in Jobbo's car.

Audi A6 Allroad 2.7T any thoughts?

Skoda Octavia Estate VRS (non-diesel obv' ;)).

Updated December 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM

David Yu will be along shortly to tell you to get the Volvo XC90 V8, and he could well be right.

The Allroad is nice as well. Maybe some sort of E-Class or 5-Series Touring?

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

Skoda Octavia Estate VRS (non-diesel obv' ;)).

The diesel has loads more torques, so will be better for towing his caravan.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Subaru Impreza Wagon - AWD and lovely cars to live with (if you can get past the looks of the "Wagon"). Saloons are nicer, but you "seem" to be stuck in the mind-set of "needing" something bigger.

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

I'd want more than 1400kg's to tow a caravan..

Depends how old the X5 is - they changed to the 6sp box which is shared with my car around 2004 with the facelift. You'll be pleased to know the Midlands ZF dealer told me they seem to be less reliable in 4wd applications, so perhaps worth avoiding :lol:

Prior to that the pre-facelift cars had the ZF 5HP24 which was in my old 540i Touring, and which was fine at 162k miles when I sold it (and still fine at 189k when the head gaskets blew, apparently). I did change the oil a couple of times. However, IIRC Sundayjumper had problems with this box in his X5 4.4 so they're not immune to problems.

JL said...

David Yu will be along shortly to tell you to get the Volvo XC90 V8, and he could well be right.

The Allroad is nice as well.

Funnily enough, I've owned both.

The Audi was nicer to drive, but the 2.7Ts are getting on a bit now. Should be a lot less thirsty than a 4.4 X5 though, although we seldom got above 19mpg in ours on average.

Decently quick (even I never got round to that remap), probably the best riding Audi of recent times.

Air suspension does go wrong though and it's damn near £1k a corner to get it sorted (usually one air spring fails by itself).

However the cost saving over an XC90 V8 will pay for quite a few replacement air springs...

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Daddydadbo said...

Next summer my Wife is likely to start teaching in the village school. I work 5 minutes walk from our house already and that will make two cars a bit silly.

Having two or more cars at one time often is, but it's what we do:lol:

Mike Rainbird said...

Subaru Impreza Wagon - AWD and lovely cars to live with (if you can get past the looks of the "Wagon"). Saloons are nicer, but you "seem" to be stuck in the mind-set of "needing" something bigger.

It is handy for towing and fitting kids and bikes and trikes etc in. Also handy for putting my bike in when doing triathlons.

The XC90 V8 does appeal but they are probably more than I want to spend tbh.

The CRV makes the interior of the 95 estate seem small.

Wonder how good a Passat R36 is?? :D

Jobbo said...

However, IIRC Sundayjumper had problems with this box in his X5 4.4 so they're not immune to problems.

Correct, mine was only just over 100k miles and the gearbox was about to let go. Juddering during changes and sometimes losing reverse gear. If you read up on the X5 forums you'll see gearbox failures are extremely common. I definitely would not buy one that was still on its original un-rebuilt gearbox as it *will* fail. That's why they're so cheap :)

Nice to drive though, surprisingly nippy for their size and I averaged 20mpg commuting which I thought was OK for that kind of car. It'd just about top 25mpg on a steady motorway run.

If one turned up with a rebuilt and warranteed gearbox, and most of the rear suspension recently replaced (they get through bushes & ball joints fairly quickly) then it could be worth considering.

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this

Do they ever come with manual 'boxes? I still shake my head in bewilderment that in this day and age, they are unable to make a reliable slush-box.

Daddydadbo said...

Wonder how good a Passat R36 is?? :D

No idea about the R36 but we have a 56-reg 2.0TDi Passat estate now and I'm quite impressed with it. Loads of space, feels well built, and easily does 60mpg on the motorway.

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this

My dad's best mate has a 3.6 Passat - not sure if the newest ones are still called R36? Anyway, exactly as you'd expect - rather lovely but buy shares in BP first.

Keep it Swedish and go for an XC70 like this (warning: evonomics at play)!

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Ford Mondeo ST Estate.... I mean Ford Focus ST Estate ;)

Sundayjumper said...

No idea about the R36 but we have a 56-reg 2.0TDi Passat estate now and I'm quite impressed with it. Loads of space, feels well built, and easily does 60mpg on the motorway.

I found the Passat one of the most uncomfortable cars I've even driven, even the later version didn't seem any better. Couldn't quite put my finger on why, seats were too soft which didn't help. Even the 4x4 jacked up version was just as bad.

V8 Allroad ?

Updated December 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Marv said...

:(

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

The XC70 T6 at £32k is a bit steep. Don't really want to be going much over £10k.

We will probably only do 6k a year so mpg not so important. If I go petrol should get a bargain as everyone seem to want diseasels atm. :D

duncs500 said...

Marv said...

:(

beat me to it :lol:

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular