Forums > General > Bloody Student Finance *shakes fist*

BLOODY STUDENT FINANCE *SHAKES FIST*
Previous | 12 | Next

I'm currently a third year student who expects to graduate in June 2013.

I was home this weekend and recieved a letter from said company. It stated i was to start making contributions from my part time work, from April 2013 before i have graduated.

I rang up to ask why this was the case. I was told that because i had loans for two years and self funded this year, they automatically assume you have either graduated or dropped out.

I've emailed staff at uni who have said they will get me a letter stating i'm still on my course. The biggest pain is that they will send it to me and not directly to the student loans company.

The other magnificently stupid advice i was given by student finance was that i could apply again for a loan, but put £0 in all the boxes. Genius.

rant over :D

Updated December 11, 2012 at 10:07 AM

--

Do not act as if thou wert going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over thee. While thou livest, while it is in thy power, be good.

The Student Loans Company is a terribly run outfit. My ex wanted to pay hers off in a oner and she had a nightmare with it involving all sorts of credits and over paying etc.

I do like getting my statements now though, nine years after graduating I can actually see light at the end of the tunnel in terms of when it will be paid off. Can't wait to get that monkey off my back!

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

I can imagine duncs!

I've worked out that i'll be able to pay off my loan by the time i'm 23/24 depending if i can sublease my halls room to an international student!8)

--

Do not act as if thou wert going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over thee. While thou livest, while it is in thy power, be good.

Shame you guys aren't Scottish :D.

Back in the days, I did take out the minimum student loan available. Once graduated, I asked for the total amount and paid without hassle.

Updated December 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM

MrsREV will be 39 in January and is still deferring hers :lol:

--

Out of step with the forum.

MrsRev can't have much of a student loan; if she went to university straight out of 6th form, they would only have been introduced in her 3rd year I think (and the max was about £600/year originally IIRC).

Simon_667 said...

I can imagine duncs!

I've worked out that i'll be able to pay off my loan by the time i'm 23/24 depending if i can sublease my halls room to an international student!8)

Sub letting is usually illegal.

It's a few grand, IIRC. I think she qualified for additional loans 'cos her dad was a pensioner or something.

--

Out of step with the forum.

I took the maximum I could possibly get at the time, and then pleaded poverty to get some more.8)

I think it finished up around the £18k mark. No doubt it would be far more in the current climate.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Orange Cola said...

Simon_667 said...

I can imagine duncs!

Sub letting is usually illegal.

I'm still going to give it a shot! :D

--

I apply for this next year, is it really that bad? :?

--

Cheers,
James

TwinTurbot said...

You'll be alright James. Applying for the money is easy, its just saying no is when they'll kick up a fuss.

This is the first problem i've ever had dealing with them to be fair, its just quite annoying i've got to do really stupid admin when i should be revising for an exam on the 19th

--

It's after uni when the headache starts with them. £24k in and it's not so bad.

It's the folk paying £12k/ year and they reckon 50% of school leavers will go to uni. So, we have an increasing number of people who have physically paid £12k/annum to go to uni and "if you don't get a good job, so what, you'll only pay nothing or a small amount back and therefore it's the best time ever to go to uni". Well that's alright, when the economy is further fvcked from the growing debt we will take you from your low paid job and make you redundant :lol:

I'm so fucking pleased I went to uni when I did - it was still in the days of grants from the govt and my student loan was about 2.5k in total. The amount of debt you need to rack up now would seriously have dented my wishes to go to uni.

Simon_667 said...

TwinTurbot said...

You'll be alright James. Applying for the money is easy, its just saying no is when they'll kick up a fuss.

This is the first problem i've ever had dealing with them to be fair, its just quite annoying i've got to do really stupid admin when i should be revising for an exam on the 19th

Hope so as otherwise its certainly a pain in the ass, which uni/course do you attend/study?

--

Cheers,
James

I don't like the student loans company. PITA.

--

Large format print & graphics

They lost all records of my loan back in the 2006ish system crash.

:P

--

Bunta's Tofu

Simon_667 said...

I'm currently a third year student who expects to graduate in June 2013.

I was home this weekend and recieved a letter from said company. It stated i was to start making contributions from my part time work, from April 2013 before i have graduated.

I rang up to ask why this was the case. I was told that because i had loans for two years and self funded this year, they automatically assume you have either graduated or dropped out.

I've emailed staff at uni who have said they will get me a letter stating i'm still on my course. The biggest pain is that they will send it to me and not directly to the student loans company.

The other magnificently stupid advice i was given by student finance was that i could apply again for a loan, but put £0 in all the boxes. Genius.

rant over :D

Sell the GTO, pay it off. Dont worry.

JL said...

I'm so fucking pleased I went to uni when I did - it was still in the days of grants from the govt and my student loan was about 2.5k in total. The amount of debt you need to rack up now would seriously have dented my wishes to go to uni.

This all over.

But even in our day people were complaining that it was getting too expensive. It wasn't that much earlier that it was completely paid for in generous grants *and* students could sign onto the dole during the holidays !

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this | This one's just a posh Beetle

Sundayjumper said...

But even in our day people were complaining that it was getting too expensive. It wasn't that much earlier that it was completely paid for in generous grants *and* students could sign onto the dole during the holidays !

SJIC. And the Poll Tax riots!

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular