Forums > General > Honda powered Elise build thread FAO JL

HONDA POWERED ELISE BUILD THREAD FAO JL

Mine is and has 310bhp great this time of year :twisted:

Updated December 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

--

A yellow loltus

Even 135hp is fun at this time of year. I desperately need to finish mine though and have a car with a proper diff to enjoy it properly.

--

Done.

Mines a complete bast@rd to be honest, too low and stiff to be anything other than terrifying on greasy cold roads, even with the diff and a more benign geo it's snappy as hell!

--

A yellow loltus

Let me know when it's up for sale, Foz ;)

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

It is. Well it isn't as it's no the time if year but it is I you know what I mean..

--

A yellow loltus

8) Honda'd 'lise/'xige is on my list to own in the future too.

£10k on the engine and gearbox conversion is often only the start though. Some of the ones I've seen on Seloc have run to £40/50/60k with the upgrades to suspension and breaks :shock:

I can't think of many better unions though than an Elise and a K20.

--

This ^

my build thread

--

A yellow loltus

Dan said...

Even 135hp is fun at this time of year. I desperately need to finish mine though and have a car with a proper diff to enjoy it properly.

Try 280lb ft of torque! As soon as it comes on boost in second it lights the rear wheels up :)

--

New Skool Turbo Power

YouTube Channel

8)

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

NotoriousREV said...

I'm being a cvnt :lol:

No change there. :lol:

Good stuff, Danny boy. Keep it coming.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

Foz, that looks the absolute nuts - good skills!

--

Cheers

Rich

I need to update that as it now has a Bosch charge oiler pump and various other things which I never bothered photographing.

--

A yellow loltus

Both very lovely cars 8)

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Little bit more progress to report.

I've had the bottom end balanced by Andrews Precision while it was apart, so the crank, flywheel, clutch and damper (and oil pump drive just to be anal).

Its surprising how much material has come off to get it to balance perfectly, but i'm now told I can 'rev it any rpm you like safe in the knowledge there are no forces acting upon it'. Which is nice.

Here's the assembly as I collected it.

Close up of some of the material removed from the crank.

The damper had a chunk missing from the outer ring, the guys balancing it said you'd expect to have to remove some material from the opposite side to get it to balance, but actually this is what was required.

I collected a full set of cosworth bearings on friday too and have now set about plastigauge'ing them to set my clearances.

Nice new bearings.

Crank carefully placed in the block.

And the result after torquing the cradle down and then removing it - the plastigauge is squashed and I can measure the tolerances.

Thats the mains done, next i'll do the big ends. Once they're OK i've got all the bits I need to put the engine back together so i'll be dropping it in the car over christmas.

--

Done.

I love this thread - I dont really know what all the bits do but it results in sideways style so all good in my book. :)

--

Bunta's Tofu

Bunta said...

I love this thread - I dont really know what all the bits do but it results in sideways style so all good in my book. :)

This, I'm looking and seeing things that I should have some vague idea about but I haven't a clue! :D

Spent a very therapeutic couple of hours in the shed just.

After using the plastigauge on the big ends and mains, my big ends were a little sloppy (ooh err) so I exchanged a half set of bearings to get the desired clearance of just under 2 thou. I rechecked them and they're now spot on.

So with all of the bearing clearances set, and my crank ladder machined to accept the earlier style oil pump, it was time to torque it all back up finally :D

I actually had to buy a new torque wrench for this engine as my existing one didn't go down low enough. Rods are torqued to 22lb ft + 90°

Followed by the crank ladder which is 22lb ft + 56° and sealed using genuine hondabond silicone.

From there its a pretty straight forward job to install the oil pump, windage tray, chains and tensioners.

I keep talking myself into buying more shiny trinkets from Ian at Clockwise, so i've got these two little blanking plates to delete the water hose that runs through the standard oil filter housing, as i'll be using a remote and a cooler.

Thats it for tonight, tomorrow I might put the gearbox back together.

--

Done.

In and running by Xmas day? ;)

--

In next week, running when i've earned some more money to buy an ECU and exhaust. Aiming to be driving in feb.

--

Done.

8)

--

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular