Forums > General > Honda powered Elise build thread FAO JL

HONDA POWERED ELISE BUILD THREAD FAO JL

Barry said...

Any chance you'll be doing the LOT Anglesey Easter weekend Dan? I'm hoping to be there with that K24 powered Elise, TDiElise and a couple others, and possibly be hiring a Cat for myself. Should be a giggle. 8)

I'd love to say yes but I fear it might not be ready by then.

I've got a couple of weeks off at the end of feb, by which time I intend to have it fitted and back on its wheels and looking like a car, but the final few jobs like wiring loom might stretch it out a bit while I earn enough money to finish it.

--

Done.

While I have a drink and a bite to eat I will update today's progress so far.

I have to modify one of my wishbones for this conversion, moving the cross brace further towards the ball joint end for clearance, so I set about it with a hacksaw. As I sawed through one end, the arms of the wishbone sprang together so they were obviously under a little tension. In order to make sure I got them back in the right place I used this ingenious method to spring them apart and measure against the other wishbone.

Then set about welding the brace back in and I must say it was probably the best bit of welding I've ever done, which isn't saying much as it usually looks like a flock of passing seagulls did it.

And so here we have a full set of wishbones ready to be blasted and painted.

Right, to the bat cave!

Updated February 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM

--

Done.

Oh hello :D

--

Done.

Elise parts toe links? Next stop for my car before it goes on track

--

New Skool Turbo Power

YouTube Channel

Spitfire engineering...nicer than the EP items in my humble opinion!

--

Done.

What driveshafts are you using?

--

A yellow loltus

Custom made using honda outer cv's and bespoke drive flanges.

So, after a couple of days mountain biking in snowdonia, I'm hard at work.

First job of the day was the bulkhead, the potential for this to go horribly wrong was massive :D

I got a good bead of my chosen bonding agent on it...

And the same on the chassis....

But I was worrying about nothing, after a few taps and a handful of rivets we now have a bulkhead :)

Bit of tidying up of the excess sealant and jobs a good'un.

Back to it!

--

Done.

How much are the driveshafts? Also be interested to see the gear linkage as mines seen better days

--

A yellow loltus

I'm paying about 500 quid for the shafts and flanges.

It's a work in progress but its coming on nicely :D

Whilst I was waiting for the bonding to dry I started to play with my gear linkage. The new linkage came as a complete unit with hand brake as well, where as the s1 linkage is separate to the handbrake, so I cut it in half and offered it up....s1 handbrake, s2 gear linkage:

I have to modify this slightly for cross gate movement, as reverse is in a different place but that's no problem.

Whilst doing this I realised that the linkage is made from some horrible flimsy tin and has an enormous amount of flex, so I set about bracing and welding all the seams. It's now very stirdy - I intend for the quality of the shift to be as good as I can possibly get it as its an important part of the driving experience.

And here it is in place - I think this is going to be excellent :)

--

Done.

Who's linkage?

--

A yellow loltus

Foz said...

Who's linkage?

At the gearbox end you mean?

None required as i'm using the later Z spec box, so its a direct cable connection. Its going to be an awesome quality gear change I think :D

--

Done.

Yeah, z spec box what's that :?

--

A yellow loltus

I have a K20z4 as fitted to the latest civic type R, you have a K20a as fitted to the old bread van shape.

Z spec box with cables attached...

Direct to the gear stick, no additional linkage required...

It feels good, with the mods I've done I'd say on a par with the S2K...

--

Done.

Ah ok, that's the chocolate one with the soft rods yeah ;)

Linkage mech on the gearbox looks pretty much identical to be honest!

The standard shifter end is indeed awful, additional bolts improved mine but culd still do with additional stiffening, I need to stop looking as stumbles across seloc again today which got me thinking about the car again, not looked at it since about October, that will be another dead battery then :roll:

--

A yellow loltus

As long as the rods hold on until my 300hp stroker is built i'll be happy ;)

--

Done.

A quick test fit of the spare gearbox case I had...

And hey presto, we have a car with an engine.

Please excuse the bolts, they're temporary...

--

Done.

This thread is actually rekindling my interest in my own car 8)

--

A yellow loltus

Keep the updates coming dan, I love these threads!

--

Cheers

Rich

Rich B said...

Keep the updates coming dan, I love these threads!

Very much this!

--

MarDoubleT

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."

8)

Not long till it will be running now surely?

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular