Apologies for whoring, this is purely to appease JL as I know most of you aren't interested - in which case look away as you'll find this very boring.
After having to put this off for a couple of years I'm thrilled to be back at it now, for those that don't know I'm doing a DIY honda with a set of mounts fabricated up by an engineer local to me (he shares a unit with Clockwise and is converting his own elise).
I've spent a lot of time over there chewing the fat and I was convinced enough to put my money where my mouth was and buy an engine and a kit of parts from him to convert the tidy 111s I've recently bought. Interestingly, my kit includes bespoke drive flanges to suit the lotus hubs and allow me to run honda outer CV joints which I hope will help to alleviate some of the issues there.
My engine is a very low mileage k20z4 from a late model civic type R which means it has a dbw throttle body but also a different gear linkage setup meaning that no additional rockers / linkage is required. Mine will be a direct cable connection to the 111r linkage I require to go in the car.
I have already split the box ready to install an LSD and change the final drive from 5.06 to a 4.7 to provide a few crucial extra mph in the lower gears, i'll be able to pull 60 in 2nd
First things first though, my old shed was rotten and subsequently the contents were going rotten too, so I needed a new workshop. I built this from scratch over a couple of weekends.
It's not completely finished but close enough to get me going.
The box didn't take long to disassemble.
Engine on the stand.
I don't plan on doing a great deal to this engine yet, it does need a shallower sump and different oil pump and also the balance shafts deleted. I'm also in two minds currently over whether to stick with my original plan for an RBC manifold and throttle body or just put individual throttle bodies on it. I know what I'd rather do but the cost may be prohibitive.
Finally, I got home today and decided I wanted a trolley to sit my car on so I can remove all four corners and refurb the suspension. It's a bit rough and ready and needs some bracing before being used (its also larger than it looks) but it should make it very easy to work on the car.
More to come.