Forums > General > Honda powered Elise build thread FAO JL

HONDA POWERED ELISE BUILD THREAD FAO JL
Previous | 123..24..464748 | Next

Apologies for whoring, this is purely to appease JL as I know most of you aren't interested - in which case look away as you'll find this very boring.

After having to put this off for a couple of years I'm thrilled to be back at it now, for those that don't know I'm doing a DIY honda with a set of mounts fabricated up by an engineer local to me (he shares a unit with Clockwise and is converting his own elise).

I've spent a lot of time over there chewing the fat and I was convinced enough to put my money where my mouth was and buy an engine and a kit of parts from him to convert the tidy 111s I've recently bought. Interestingly, my kit includes bespoke drive flanges to suit the lotus hubs and allow me to run honda outer CV joints which I hope will help to alleviate some of the issues there.

My engine is a very low mileage k20z4 from a late model civic type R which means it has a dbw throttle body but also a different gear linkage setup meaning that no additional rockers / linkage is required. Mine will be a direct cable connection to the 111r linkage I require to go in the car.

I have already split the box ready to install an LSD and change the final drive from 5.06 to a 4.7 to provide a few crucial extra mph in the lower gears, i'll be able to pull 60 in 2nd ;)

First things first though, my old shed was rotten and subsequently the contents were going rotten too, so I needed a new workshop. I built this from scratch over a couple of weekends.

It's not completely finished but close enough to get me going.

The box didn't take long to disassemble.

Engine on the stand.

I don't plan on doing a great deal to this engine yet, it does need a shallower sump and different oil pump and also the balance shafts deleted. I'm also in two minds currently over whether to stick with my original plan for an RBC manifold and throttle body or just put individual throttle bodies on it. I know what I'd rather do but the cost may be prohibitive.

Finally, I got home today and decided I wanted a trolley to sit my car on so I can remove all four corners and refurb the suspension. It's a bit rough and ready and needs some bracing before being used (its also larger than it looks) but it should make it very easy to work on the car.

More to come.

--

Done.

Subscribe. :lol:

Rightio....in order to fit the shallower sump and delete the balance shafts I have to remove the crank cradle and machine part of it down to clear the pump so I've stripped the engine down.

Here's what the inside of your head looks like....

Lovely timing chain, no more cam belt to worry about.

Crank out and cradle ready to machine.

I also picked up a lovely light flywheel from clockwise today, no pics yet but it's very light!

--

Done.

JL said...

+1

Nice shed there too, Dan 8)

Thing of beauty...

--

Done.

Despite the low miles its evident that some kind of debris has found its way into the oil of my honda engine as one of the mains has a nasty score in it and there is evidence that whatever it was made its way through the other 4 too. So, i'm replacing the mains and the big ends while I have the engine apart.

I've had the cradle machined so I can reassemble the engine once i've plastigauge'd the bearings.

My wavetrac diff has arrived and looks, well...like a big lump of metal, but i'm very much looking forward to seeing how it performs.

I'm dropping my bottom end off for dynamic balancing soon too at Andrews Precision - founded by Trevor Wilkinson formerly of Wilkinson Dynamic Balancing in halesowen. He is one of the best respected balancers out there.

--

Done.

Marv said...

JL said...

+1

Nice shed there too, Dan 8)

2.4 x 3.6m and built from 3 inch stud, lined with breather membrane and larch cladding all for under 500 sheets :D

Double glazed as well :lol:

--

Done.

I have heaps of parts lying about if you need stuff, I have gone for larger 70mm tb etc.

Flewy did my engine mounts btw, he could have copied them now I think about it:?

--

A yellow loltus

I expect itll be a bit like this Youtube cliiick

Foz said...

I have heaps of parts lying about if you need stuff, I have gone for larger 70mm tb etc.

Flewy did my engine mounts btw, he could have copied them now I think about it:?

Very kind foz cheers, I'll be fitting a clockwise tb for now, but I still need plenty of odds and sods. Fuel pump for one.

--

Done.

I can't believe how little progress you've made in all this time.

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

NotoriousREV said...

I can't believe how little progress you've made in all this time.

You jest (I presume :?) but I actually feel like i've been slacking and i'm going to up my game a bit :lol:

--

Done.

I'm providing motivation :lol:

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

Dan said...

Despite the low miles its evident that some kind of debris has found its way into the oil of my honda engine as one of the mains has a nasty score in it and there is evidence that whatever it was made its way through the other 4 too.

Interesting - any idea where the engine came from?

Its working.

I'm looking forward to its first outing at Oulton for the forum track day anyway, so I have a deadline. ;)

--

Done.

Jobbo said...

Dan said...

Despite the low miles its evident that some kind of debris has found its way into the oil of my honda engine as one of the mains has a nasty score in it and there is evidence that whatever it was made its way through the other 4 too.

Interesting - any idea where the engine came from?

A written off type R, engine was bought by clockwise / bespoke engineering as a job lot of 4 or 5 engines at the time. Its pretty immaculate apart from the above - you can see its done very little work.

The scoring is nasty by my standards - ie. almost nothing at all, its probably just been ragged from cold with a smidgen of dust in there. I'm changing the mains and big ends anyway as I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't. Lesser folks might just put it back together as is.

--

Done.

I'm not sure I understand the point of a car building thread on a car forum... :lol:

Looking like some quality work - subscribe.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Dan said...

... as I know most of you aren't interested ...

More to come.

I am interested 8). I love this kind of stuff, probably because it's so beyond me :)

Good progress so far Dan, I'll be watching this build closely as a mental K20'd Elise is on the 'Must own one day' list. 8)

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Is it nearly done yet? :D

--

Kintegra y0!

Previous | 123..24..464748 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular