Forums > General > Auto wipers when you wash your windscreen

AUTO WIPERS WHEN YOU WASH YOUR WINDSCREEN
Previous | 12 | Next

Back in the day I was coordinated enough to activate my wipers as I triggered my washers. This is clearly too difficult now as the car mandates that the former is activated by the latter.

- I like that the washer nozzles are located on the wiper arms. Keeps things relatively tidy.
- I like that the first automated wipe clears the windscreen
- I like that the second automated wipe clears the residual fluids away

Dislikes
- I dislike that the third automated wipe starts to pick up the dirty water from teh base of the windscreen and spread it back over my view.
- I strongly dislike the fourth automated wipe. FFS - Four? Really? :evil:
- That at the end of this process I'm almost back to square one.
- That sneaking in a cheeky squirt on wipe #3 (requote at will) resets the counter again. :evil:

This may work to clean witchety grub guts or koala j1zz off the screen effectively, but I can tell you that for cleaning jockland grit off the windae it is rubbish. :evil:

Updated December 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM

...and why isn't this in the moaning forum. GAH! :evil:

This thread would be more suitable in the moaning forum ;)

However, I agree. It also annoys me when the washer nozzles are frozen and the screen is scummy ...you've driven a fair few miles so you hope the nozzles have defrosted, but they haven't, so when you pull the stalk to spray, nothing comes out, the wipers activate three times and the screen become horribly smeared.

It's probably something which effects my Golf more, as the diesel engine is efficient and hardly any heat radiates into the bonnet.

Updated December 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM

--

Yes, yes, yes, I'm doing that all the time. You don't have to remind me every 10 seconds.

Land Cruiser has separate wash and wipe functions. I like to think it's because it's goddamn hardcore and offroady but really I know it's because it's so basic.

I hate these auto wipers. I'm perfectly capable of turning them off and on by myself. They never clean the screen correctly, and there's no way of turning them off :evil:.

--

I can only please one person a day. Today is not your day and tomorrow don't look good either.

Marv said...

However, I agree. It also annoys me when the washer nozzles are frozen and the screen is scummy ...you've driven a fair few miles so you hope the nozzles have defrosted, but they haven't, so when you pull the stalk to spray, nothing comes out, the wipers activate three times and the screen become horribly smeared.

That annoys me as well. I've taken to squirting the rear first to make sure the pipes are clear. (Re-quote at will :lol: )

Updated December 9, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Marv said...

It also annoys me when the washer nozzles are frozen and the screen is scummy ...you've driven a fair few miles so you hope the nozzles have defrosted, but they haven't, so when you pull the stalk to spray, nothing comes out, the wipers activate three times and the screen become horribly smeared.

You lucky b4stard. :evil:

mik said...

Marv said...

It also annoys me when the washer nozzles are frozen and the screen is scummy ...you've driven a fair few miles so you hope the nozzles have defrosted, but they haven't, so when you pull the stalk to spray, nothing comes out, the wipers activate three times and the screen become horribly smeared.

You lucky b4stard. :evil:

:D

Wonder if it's a setting which can be changed on the OBC?

I'd prefer the wash and wipe to be separate functions too, TBH.

--

Yes, yes, yes, I'm doing that all the time. You don't have to remind me every 10 seconds.

With mine my the head light washers spray water sometimes which ends up putting water marks up the bonnet etc. this is annoying when you have a relatively clean car and just want to wash the windscreen.

--

For sure

Ron Burgundy said...

With mine my the head light washers spray water sometimes which ends up putting water marks up the bonnet etc. this is annoying when you have a relatively clean car and just want to wash the windscreen.

On logical (?) cars the headlight washers are activated simultaneously to the windscreen washers if, and only if, the lights are on - so your solution is to never wash the windscreen with the lights on 8)

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

On older bmws the headlight washers only squirt every 5th squirt of the screen washers reasoning that a slightly grubby headlight doesn't affect your vision anywhere near as much as a dirty windscreen, so to wash the lights every time you washed the screen would guzzle water.

I dislike wipers which wipe as you wash, I have heated washers so if it's frozen you can squirt warmed and antifreezed screenwash onto the screen, only for the wipers to start automatically and scrape the wipers over an icy screen :(

A two stage switch so you can just squirt, or push further o squirt and wipe would be a better idea imho.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Ford are quite good at this. Not only are the screens heated but the Mondeo V6 gave two or three wipes then an extra wipe 10 seconds after to catch the dribbles.

Orange Cola said...

the Mondeo V6 gave two or three wipes then an extra wipe 10 seconds after to catch the dribbles.

Is that enough to be forgiven for having half of an Aston Martin V12 as an engine?

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

The accord lets you skoosh for a second before the auto wipe kicks in so you can just give it a little blast and one manual wipe. Hold it longer and the auto wipe kicks in.

--

Strong Broo Racing

Fvck new cars. I'd rather walk.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Mito Man said...

Fvck new cars. I'd rather walk.

Didn't Daddy buy you a new Mito?

--

Strong Broo Racing

Yeah but it's awful. Every time I pull the stalk to wash the windscreen with washer fluid it automatically activates the wipers :roll:
What next, it's gonna go off and fvck my girlfriend or drive itself?! I'd rather not have a car.

--

This reminds me of a moan I was going to do about the Leon I have:

If you have the wipers on intermittent, when you turn them off, they give an extra wipe. Why? I'm turning them off because there's no fricking rain!

And if you have them on intermittent and there's a sudden influx of water, say when you're passing a lorry on the motorway or the car in front goes through some standing water, when you switch the wipers to on, there's a delay of about half a second. Just enough time for you to crap yourself that you can't see.

FFS, I don't want any "programmed logic" in my wipers. On is on, off is off.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

Mito Man said...

Yeah but it's awful. Every time I pull the stalk to wash the windscreen with washer fluid it automatically activates the wipers :roll:
What next, it's gonna go off and fvck my girlfriend or drive itself?! I'd rather not have a car.

ah no toolbag ... i you only pull the stalk for a second or so then the wipers dont automatically come on...

How would a tool bag help me?

--

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular