Forums > Gaming forum > Steam for Linux/SS3:BFE Review

STEAM FOR LINUX/SS3:BFE REVIEW
Previous | 1 | Next

Impressively, it seems to work. Well, I couldn't get TF2 to work but then I don't care for that.

Serious Sam 3 though runs nicely - solid 40+fps @ 1080p with high CPU/High GPU/Ultra VRAM settings, not a single crash or glitch in six hours of gaming.

Also, it's good fun in an old skool way.

Just need to get Source fully ported to Linux and I can see me gaming on the PC a bit more often...

Updated December 10, 2012 at 12:53 AM

STEAM BOXXXXXXXXXX

--

Bunta's Tofu

I've spent the last hour writing a review of SS3 and tacitly, of Steam for Linux, and I just managed to clear the post box by hitting clearing my cache to see if the hotlinked images would stick, and instead if hitting the 'preview' butting, I refreshed the page.

*bangs head against wall*

Anyway, it's as well implemented as any good Windows game I've played, no bugs, good performance given my distinctly midrange hardware, it's massive fun, but only for a few hours at a time, and I'm not sure where the replay value would be. I mean, speedruns yes, but the levels are too large for that (several square miles, it feels like).

7/10 - I'll maybe knock something up again tomorrow.

Actually, I watched CynicalBrits review of SS3 and it very much mirrored my thoughts on the game - it's a breath of fresh air in a world of scripted, quick-time-action 'war simulators' or what IGN laughingly describe as 'thinking mans shooters' (which ones would that be then?), but you can't play it for too long or you get ground down by it a bit - the constant action is surprisingly tiring, as it needs constant, total concentration to not be torn to shreds. Truly manic action.

Other than being extremely playable for those few hours bouts, the other standout is the music - which is outstanding.

Here's the review - WTF is Serious Sam 3.

40 mins, so make a cuppa and enjoy.

Oh, and here's some screenies I've scraped off the net - all high res so 'open in new tab' for best results.

Yes, that is an in game/engine based screenshot.

Yes, that is a tentactled helicopter overhead...

Serious about shopping smart - shopping S-Mart. And over the top violence.

Once you get halfway through the game, this little lot would seem like a holiday.

Worth a pop if you see it on sale and fancy something a bit different (if you're too young to have played Doom et al) or a bit of the good old days (if you are old enough to have played Doom et al).

Beany said...

Yes, that is an in game/engine based screenshot.

Meh. Have you seen FarCry3 in anger ?

Yes, it's staggering, but it's a bleeding edge engine - Serious Engine 3.5 is perhaps a generation and a half behind the proper new stuff.

Looks nice, but yes, FC3 looks fvcking amazing!

How much do you need to spend on a gfx card to run Farcry? I just looked on Scan and you can spend £1000 on one! :shock:

One
Thousand
Pounds

Jesus Christ on a bicycle! Surely this sort of thing isn't necessary?

--

Spazda MX-5/Honda CRF450R/VFR400/WRX Wagon

_Andy said...

How much do you need to spend on a gfx card to run Farcry? I just looked on Scan and you can spend £1000 on one! :shock:

One
Thousand
Pounds

You can spend a small fortune on whatever your interest is.. is it necessary ? unlikely.

A £1000 card is arguably unecessary, although if someone will pay for it, someone will pay for it.

You don't need a £1000 card for gaming though.

Two £200 cards would probably be nearly as quick, if the game supports it ;) and for most people, a single £200 card would be more than quick enough for most of the time.

Hell, a £100 card is quick enough for me most of the time ;)

Half Life 2 on Linux, windowed, obviously on current hardware it's 60fps everywhere.

Looks spot on, plays very nicely indeed, thankyou.

Should have Portal 2 soon.

I'd expect Steambox + HL3 announced at the same time - rumours abound that the updated Source engine is being optimised for Steambox, AKA Steam on Linux....

_Andy said...

One
Thousand
Pounds

Cough...I bought one of those, and I still can't max Crysis 3. Far Cry 3 runs like butter with everything maxed though.

--

Nuclear Engineer, but hoping to pass my exams and be legally called a Door Supervisor.

Nothing will max Crysis 3 at 60fps at the moment, other than quad top-end-single-GPU cards.

Or, if you're a profligate numpty, quad top end dual GPU cards.

My HD7770 is doing perfectly well for £130 a year ago, thanks :)

Beany said...

Nothing will max Crysis 3 at 60fps at the moment, other than quad top-end-single-GPU cards.

Or, if you're a profligate numpty, quad top end dual GPU cards.

My HD7770 is doing perfectly well for £130 a year ago, thanks :)

Yep, I realise it is quite heavy on hardware, especially with the AA settings. I tend to just do a "big bang" upgrade every 5 years. My card before this GTX690 was a 5 year old 4870x2.

--

Nuclear Engineer, but hoping to pass my exams and be legally called a Door Supervisor.

Ah, I can remember lusting after a 4870x2.

That was a while ago!

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular