Forums > General > I drove a 530i (and I liked it)

I DROVE A 530I (AND I LIKED IT)
Previous | 1 | Next

The 330d, fondly known as 'the pirate ship', turned out to be poorly named. Its dead. An acute case of hydrolock.

It's been replaced by an E60, and I have to admit, I love it. I'm doing a lot of miles in the Z at the moment - long journeys either side of stop start trips around Derby. Stepping into the 5 at the weekend is like stepping into a cloud. It's a really nice drive - nowhere near as wallowy as I thought it might be.

I adore the Z, and won't be parting with it, but it's nice to have a polar opposite alternative to drive occasionally :)

--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carolineccb/

Did you drive into a river?

I have always fancied a 5.

Standing water, apparently. Although I guess a small pond would technically fit that description. I wasn't driving.

I was quite sorry to see the back of the 330, but I'm very taken with the 5. It's the sort of car where taking your time is what feels right, but it isn't too shabby when you put your foot down. The boot space is about the same size as the cabin on mine. I can't get on with the i-drive - but I'm not the most patient of people.

Updated December 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM

--

...nice choice of wheels. I nearly bought a 528i (E39) a few years back and sometimes wish I had...I think a 530i is the sort of car I could quite see myself graduating to, quick enough without the OTT diesel torque thwack you get every time you sneeze on the loud pedal!

is it one of the later 272 BHP models?

Nice choice. I've had my E60 535i a few weeks now and love it. Perfect for cruising around with the family and soaking up the miles in comfort, with a decent amount of go as needed.

Bezza said...

is it one of the later 272 BHP models?

It is.

I can't take any credit for choosing it. I tried my damnedest to get him to buy a Defender.

We're taking it (the 5) on a long trip in a few weeks. I'm sure that whilst we're eating up the miles, comfortable, warm and listening to tunes on the excellent stereo - I'll be pleased he didn't let me twist his arm.

Previously, I was reluctant to take the 330 over the Z4 when working away for the week. I've already found myself pleading to take the 5 series and leave the Z with himself.

The contrast is a nice change - chalk and cheese.

--

Good choice my dear. IDrive isn't all that bad though I think it takes a while to feel that way. I now prefer the original simple system with none of the extra buttons. Only noticed last week that the menus were each tinted different colours.

If it has the widescreen nav, set it so it shows the nav map on the right at 2.5mile or 5mile scale and it'll show you traffic problems marked on there, while you can leave the left hand screen on radio or whatever.

JustMax said...

Nice choice. I've had my E60 535i a few weeks now and love it. Perfect for cruising around with the family and soaking up the miles in comfort, with a decent amount of go as needed.

It's worth having a read up on the high pressure fuel pump issues that people sometimes have with this model.

A day after getting ours, an engine warning light came on. Diagnostics showed an error with the this high pressure fuel pump - ours is on a 57 plate.

New pump being fitted on Monday.

Hopefully, it will never trouble you - but if it does, might save you getting the run around.

--

Jobbo said...

Good choice my dear. IDrive isn't all that bad though I think it takes a while to feel that way. I now prefer the original simple system with none of the extra buttons. Only noticed last week that the menus were each tinted different colours.

If it has the widescreen nav, set it so it shows the nav map on the right at 2.5mile or 5mile scale and it'll show you traffic problems marked on there, while you can leave the left hand screen on radio or whatever.

Cheers for the tip, Mr J. I'll go and twiddle things in the morning. I much prefer the on-board computer gubbins in mine.

Having said that, and thanks for reminding me, mine has mysteriously started giving me traffic info in French. Nothing else is in French, and I can find no option to change it. One day it was in English, the next in French, which is most unhelpful when I'm trying to decide whether to re-route. I do wonder if it was the mechanic at the stealership after the amount of stamping I did over the issues I had after inspection II :lol:

--

Your Z4 has the nav I assume? IIRC it uses the interface of the E39/E46 nav unit and there's definitely a way of sorting out that language problem. Can't remember it but google should sort you out.

Jobbo said...

Your Z4 has the nav I assume? IIRC it uses the interface of the E39/E46 nav unit and there's definitely a way of sorting out that language problem. Can't remember it but google should sort you out.

Excellent - thanks again. I keep meaning to sort it out, but forget about it until the next time I'm about to hit traffic. Maybe I should just gaffa tape Clayton in to the passenger seat and he can translate :P

--

carolineccb1 said...

JustMax said...

It's worth having a read up on the high pressure fuel pump issues that people sometimes have with this model.

A day after getting ours, an engine warning light came on. Diagnostics showed an error with the this high pressure fuel pump - ours is on a 57 plate.

New pump being fitted on Monday.

Hopefully, it will never trouble you - but if it does, might save you getting the run around.

Good info I didn't know. A quick google says it was a recall issue here so when I next go to the stealer I'll get a report run to see if it was done.

Lovely motor I had a 535d a few years ago and the long-distance E60 experience was very impressive.

--

BMW Car Magazine

I hate all the BMW diesels. They keep getting awards for being the most refined so god knows what pos the other manufacturers make. I guess they are fine once they warm up but it's so boring.

Updated December 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Mito Man said...

I hate all the BMW diesels. They keep getting awards for being the most refined so god knows what pos the other manufacturers make. I guess they are fine once they warm up but it's so boring.

This thread is about a 530i.
HTH.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

mattcambs said...

Mito Man said...

HTH.

but his point is perfectly accurate

BMW Diesel - The Ultimate Snoozing Machine

mattcambs said...

Mito Man said...

HTH.

You are DIW. This is the evo forum.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

carolineccb1 said...

Maybe I should just gaffa tape Clayton in to the passenger seat

Pervert.

Updated December 8, 2012 at 10:55 PM

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular