Forums > General > Mazda Cosmo

MAZDA COSMO
Previous | 12 | Next

Always wanted one more out of curiosity then anything, and I think I've found a suitable one in Japan.

This is what they look like...

Has 300bhp from the triple rotor engine which is apparently easily made 400bhp simply by adding a boost controller :shock::D

Going to stick some Rota alloys on and have it wrapped in E90 M3 Frozen Grey (yes I know it's so last year!).

Cheers,
Bryn.

--

Performance Legends

Lovely looking thing 8)

Never even heard of them, is it a RX7 motor?

They don't style 'em like they used to 8)

LJK Setright managed to put one off the road in a test drive in Car Magazine years ago. Always appealing because you just don't see them in the UK.

carlos said...

Lovely looking thing 8)

Never even heard of them, is it a RX7 motor?

As I understand it, basically yes, but it's a triple rotor with 2.0l displacement where are the RX7 is a dual rotor with 1.3l displacement.

So if you want big power from a rotary, this is the engine to use. Bizarrely it only ever came in the Cosmo although the Mazda Le Mans cars had engines based on something similar.

Cheers,
Bryn.

--

Performance Legends

Don't think I've ever seen one of those before? :? Very elegant 8)

Side or circumferential ports on that engine? :?: (guessing circumferential)

What was the feedback on the handling?

I think you've just answered my first question if it is a 3-rotor version of the RX7 engine. Interested to hear a soundbyte when you get it (maybe even a cheeky vid? ;) )

Thought this thread was going to be about the original Cosmo, which was rather lovely 8)

Updated December 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Bryan, any decent AE86's left in Japan ?

Lovely looking thing (the mk4, not the mk1)

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Never heard of that before. Very cool 8).

--

just the tip

Sound here...

20B

Cheers,
Bryn.

--

Performance Legends

You should let EVO review it. I would love to read a good EVO Cosmo review.

Bryn_P said...

Sound here...

20B

Cheers,
Bryn.

Yours won't sound like that, it's an N/A motor that's probably bridge or peripheral ported.

Very cool cars, though, I'd love one.

--

Out of step with the forum.

NotoriousREV said...

Bryn_P said...

Sound here...

20B

Cheers,
Bryn.

Yours won't sound like that, it's an N/A motor that's probably bridge or peripheral ported.

I will take your word for it as I have zero technical knowledge of such things ;)

But why would they be using an N/A motor in an RX7 drift car?

Cheers,
Bryn.

--

Performance Legends

Bryn_P said...

NotoriousREV said...

Bryn_P said...

Sound here...

20B

Cheers,
Bryn.

I will take your word for it as I have zero technical knowledge of such things ;)

But why would they be using an N/A motor in an RX7 drift car?

Cheers,
Bryn.

Throttle response

--

Cheers,
Mike

interesting choice - it looks good.

Now swap in a great big LS9 with a blower. You know you want to...

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

DeskJockey said...

Or tune the 20B to make the same power probably for less money 8)

Cheers,
Bryn.

--

Performance Legends

Very cool car, rare as rocking horse poo though. I have never actually seen one in the flesh but it's worth it for that engine alone. Also, I'm pretty sure a heavily breathed on version of the N/A engine appeared in the ALMS from 2004-2006 in the back of a Courage LMP2 car.

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Bryn_P said...

DeskJockey said...

Or tune the 20B to make the same power probably for less money 8)

Cheers,
Bryn.

True. But based on your F355 thread you are not a man for taking the cheap or easy route!

(that is not a criticism - I tip my hat to your petrolheadedness)

Updated December 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular