Forums > General > New Little Toy

NEW LITTLE TOY
Previous | 1 | Next

So, after about 2 1/2 years of living in a nostalgic world of back-to-front levers, upside down gears, 4 gears and about 7 neutrals, no brakes and appalling handling, I decided that the novelty of my designed in the 1950s and built in 1978 by Indians motorbike had worn off.

Admittedly it looks good and sounds good, but that's where it stops. Slow and thirsty and overall a bit of a liability, proved when I mowed down a stupid pedestrian a few months ago - something which probably could have been avoided my bike possessed any brakes :?

Bunta has spoken about these and deliberated for months, I deliberated for a few hours and then went to the showroom this morning and bought one :)

OK, it's never going to set the world on fire only being a 200cc, but it's only 125kg and handles really nicely, first impressions are good 8)

Crappy phone pics after I got it home a few minutes ago, old and new:

Cheers, Rich

--

Mito Man said...

It's what happens when you use the grinder app chaps

Nice!

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

Ace! :)8)

I can't believe these are only £1200 !

Welcome to the KTM club 8)

N said...

I was actually looking at one of these last month. It's a shame they are closer £4000 in the UK. I've read they were also going to do a 350cc one, though it might be near 150 KG. I wonder if I could import one from India?

Updated December 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

ilmostro said...

N said...

I was actually looking at one of these last month. It's a shame they are closer £4000 in the UK. I've read they were also going to do a 350cc one, though it might be near 150 KG. I wonder if I could import one from India?

go there, buy one and ride it back. Take Charlie Boorman with you and become famous at the same time! :)

Daddydadbo said...

ilmostro said...

N said...

go there, buy one and ride it back. Take Charlie Boorman with you and become famous at the same time! :)

:lol:

I've never been to India, but if the roads are as bad as Sri Lanka, I expect it would take about 4 mins for me to get killed on a Motorbike there!

i've been tempted to spend that much on one of these:

i think yours is the better decision ;)

Updated December 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Nicely. I quite fancy the 690 version but the RRP is a joke over here. They are doing the 390 too, just to cheer I'll mostro up :)

N said...

A bit more than that, 150000 Rupees, or about £1725ish, still not exactly mega money.

It's a fun little bike, I've just managed an unintentional power drift on some wet paving slabs :D

There was no point in bringing my Enfield back to the UK as it would never pass an MOT. However the KTM would make a nice city bike, so might fall into my repatriation belongings when I finally get fed up of India and return to civilisation :lol:

Cheers, Rich

--

Mito Man said...

Daddydadbo said...

I did harbour rather romantic notions of riding my Enfield home when I finished here, however I'm not sure it would make it. It's slow as buggery anyway, so I'm not sure how enjoyable the journey would be either.

Route-wise, it would be India, Pakistan, Iran, Turkey etc, not sure how much fun Pakistan and Iran would be. If I could ride from Istanbul, certainly, but again, a Superduke or 990 Adventure would be a bit more suitable than a little baby 200. Maxed out at 135kph might get a little tedious after a while :lol:

Cheers, Rich

--

Mito Man said...

Barry said...

Nicely. I quite fancy the 690 version but the RRP is a joke over here. They are doing the 390 too, just to cheer I'll mostro up :)

:lol:

Just had a look on KTM uk - 390 ( which is actually 373cc :?: ) Is only 10KG more than the 200cc ( 390 is 139KG ), 44 bhp, which should be enough to cruise at 70 odd. £4500 thought!

Updated December 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM

That should be a giggle.

The 640 LC4 SM I had a few years back is a bike a don't regret selling. The LC4 engine (still pretty much unchanged in the 690 anpart from Fi and few more cc's) is quite strong but feck me is it rough. Painful over any distance.

Love the LC8 stuff though. Any they've always been well regarded with smaller capacity stuff too.

So, after being away for a couple of weeks, I've ridden my little KTM to work and back twice, and the verdict is good :)

It's everything my Enfield isn't, buzzy, direct, tight, and quite quick. However, I thought that having a bike with decent handling and working brakes would mean that I'd be able to avoid accidents better than on my old bike - the reality is that it encourages me to ride like a bit of a tw@t :lol:

Will still be officially running it in for a while as I will only be using it for short trips, so technically I shouldn't be taking it above 5k rpm, which is difficult to resist as it loves to rev :oops:

What will also be difficult to resist will be to upgrade to the 390 version when it comes out, potentially in March. If there are trade-in deals to be done it'll almost be a certainty :P

Cheers, Rich

--

Mito Man said...

I need to man up and just get one - they are still 120000 rs in Banga.

But then there is one with more power coming out...

--

Bunta's Tofu

On the road with taxes, insurance etc they are about 1.5 lahk, or £1750, the new one will be about £2.5k.

Recommended though, fun little bike :)

Cheers, Rich

--

Mito Man said...

Well lets see - I really am not sure how much longer I'll be staying there to be honest mate ;)

--

Bunta's Tofu

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular