Forums > Moaning forum > Stupid headlight design

STUPID HEADLIGHT DESIGN
Previous | 12 | Next

Which means you have to take off body parts to replace a headlight bulb.

Yes a headlight bulb has blown on the Golf, which means I'll be taking the front bumper off at the weekend to replace it.

An hour-or-so work in the cold. Whereas with the rear light cluster, it's less than a minute to change any of the bulbs.

Bloody VWs, blowing headlight bulbs. It'd never happen to a Honda ;)

--

Yes, yes, yes, I'm doing that all the time. You don't have to remind me every 10 seconds.

Could be worse: French quirkiness?

--

3 - 2 - 1 - Go.................

I just had to change a headlight, tail light and rear number plate bulbs on my Focus. Same problem, rear of the car took about 5 minutes, headlight took an hour.

Granted, I'm not the most mechanically adept of folk, but surely ease of maintenance must feature on a car designer's To Do list somewhere?

Marv: won't it be easier to take it to Halfords and get them to do it for £5 or whatever it is they charge?

The Beetle was similarly bad, but it was easier to replace the entire headlamp cluster than it was to change a bulb.

Orange Cola said...

The Beetle was similarly bad, but it was easier to replace the entire headlamp cluster than it was to change a bulb.

The new Beetle? I remember replacing an indicator bulb in my ex-wife's; bit awkward but didn't require bumper removal or anything like that.

The 5 series you dont have to remove anything body wise but you need small hands to get to it.

Last time one went I paid halfords man to do it while I watched - he said it was simple. This time I had a go and it wasnt as simple as I thought.

Marv said...

Yes a headlight bulb has blown on the Golf, which means I'll be taking the front bumper off at the weekend to replace it.

An hour-or-so work in the cold. Whereas with the rear light cluster, it's less than a minute to change any of the bulbs.

10 minutes, tops.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

You can mock but in seven years I think I replaced one bulb on the ITR :lol:

Ironically, the Octavia has a simple open back to the front lamps, I bet its quite a quick job. The lights are dreadful anyway so I probably wouldn't notice if a bulb did go..

Bumper off? You sure? VW just don't do that sort of thing surely? Nic will be along to mock you if they don't....

--

Caterham 7 - Seat, steering wheel, pedals, er... Lights?

On my C3 you need to remove the grille and the bumper :shock:
Definitely bad design :evil:
By the way regarding safety I think it's terrible - since you cannot change a bulb on the side of the road, so if it blows you will drive for a while with a missing light, therefore such crap design should be forbidden or at least punished in the safety ratings.

Updated December 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Barry said...

I didn't even have to change one. One stopped working but a quick "bash" it fixed itself :D

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

Could be worse: French quirkiness?

Thats bollocks that is. You can get to them from the inspection hatch - even massive hands Bond managed.

I did swear and moan in the moaning forum though ..

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

hardboiledPhil said...

Barry said...

I didn't even have to change one. One stopped working but a quick "bash" it fixed itself :D

I recall having a tail light go as the seal failed and let condensation creep in. Bah, bloody Japanese cars eh.

I thought this was going to be a thread regarding Audi and there awful, chavvy drl's.

Nevermind eh?

My 3 series is a PITA to change bulbs so just get the dealer to do it especially now it's cold and dirty. :oops:

NotoriousREV said...

Marv said...

10 minutes, tops.

That's a 1.6 16V. There's less space with my TDI engine. Can't get the covers open wide like in them pictures, with my car.

Taking the battery out may be an option though.

Fvck taking it to Halfords too.

I quite like the way Porsche designed the headlights on the Boxster & 996 - turn a couple of levers and the whole cluster comes out, IIRC. Why don't all manufacturers who have to work to a confined space do the same?

--

Yes, yes, yes, I'm doing that all the time. You don't have to remind me every 10 seconds.

Apparently, there's a way of flipping the lights on the Z so that you don't need beam benders. They recommend that you take it to a dealers to do it. From what I've read, it's really fiddly to do yourself.

A good idea, but bloody pointless if its not easy to make use of.

Makes me think of this;

Bloody Stupid Johnson

Updated December 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM

--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carolineccb/

Marv said...

NotoriousREV said...

Marv said...

10 minutes, tops.

That's a 1.6 16V. There's less space with my TDI engine. Can't get the covers open wide like in them pictures, with my car.

I quite like the way Porsche designed the headlights on the Boxster & 996 - turn a couple of levers and the whole cluster comes out, IIRC. Why don't all manufacturers who have to work to a confined space do the same?

Sucks to be you.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

NotoriousREV said...

Marv said...

NotoriousREV said...

Marv said...

10 minutes, tops.

Sucks to be you.

I know, it seems that I'm flat our run out of luck these days :cry:

:P

--

carolineccb1 said...

Apparently, there's a way of flipping the lights on the Z so that you don't need beam benders. They recommend that you take it to a dealers to do it. From what I've read, it's really fiddly to do yourself.

A good idea, but bloody pointless if its not easy to make use of.

Makes me think of this;

Bloody Stupid Johnson

You've been able to for years on BMWs with projector type lights. On e30s from 1987 onwards you loosen 3 screws and rotate the dip beam part within the headliggt housing. I did mine in a car park just before the ferry.

E36 are the same ( but noone seems to know about it ) and I would hope later cars have similar.

Only car I've had where bulb changes are tricky was the lancia, to get the dip beam out you had to remove the battery, and the battery clamp bolt was buried under the back of the headlight.

Excuseable though as the car wasn't really ever designed for that much stuff in the engine bay :lol:

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

What age of golf? On my Mk5 GTI they took about two mins to change. On the wife's Audi however it's a bastard of a job!

--

Strong Broo Racing

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular