Forums > General > Winter travel problems; 'it wouldn't happen abroad'

WINTER TRAVEL PROBLEMS; 'IT WOULDN'T HAPPEN ABROAD'
Previous | 1 | Next

Wrong.

Just summat for when someone moans about this country.

On a lighter note;

--

Get in the back of the van

It was on our news this morning. Before the storm it had been warm and this person had left his car window open. Oooops. :oops:

Having seen the absolute chaos when it snowed in Amsterdam last winter, I know full well that other countries are just as bad as us. In fact Schiphol airport was closed due to snow earlier this week.

--

Out of step with the forum.

In 2010 when the weather was bad I got caught in Belgium and had to spend a night in the car :evil:
It wasn't so much the weather as the stupid driving causing the problems; you'd be stationary for a good time while an accident was cleared, then when you could move again you'd have an idiot behind you trying to push you down the road, cue more accidents/spun cars :roll:

*Note to self, put sleeping bag, chocolate and cans of coffee in car.

--

JustMax said...

Oops, I hope it's cold enough to just scoop out without too much trouble.

--

JustMax said...

It was on our news this morning. Before the storm it had been warm and this person had left his car window open. Oooops. :oops:

Scoop it all out before it thaws out :shock:

An old vacuum cleaner could be handy!

Leaf blower and all the doors open.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Winter chaos seems to descend on most countries. Only place I've been where winter snows didn't immediately cause the nation to grind to a halt was Sweden.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

nuttinnew said...

Wrong.

Haha the article reports 30cm of snow and interviews many people who've only been delayed a few hours. One said he didn't bother going to Ikea yesterday as the web said the roads were busy so he's going today instead. At worst they stayed in a hotel and got the train the next day.

Have you any idea of what 30cm of snow would do to this country!?

--

Cheers,
Mike

I have vivid memories of the coach trip back from Val Thorens in Mid December 2010. We all wafted through France, large amounts of snow but the roads were clear and there were no incidents. Within 30 minutes of getting off the boat at Dover we were caught in a massive tailback, the roads were not clear, there were cars struggling to accelerate down the slip road and a Ford Focus bounced off the bus due to driving too quickly.

Basically, other countries seem to take it much better with regards to winter weather.

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Not to harp on, but many other countries also understand the concept of winter tyres.

Makes progress much easier when you're not trying to go uphill in snow on your barely legal summer tyres. Something to do with grip and traction I believe.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Do our emergency services even fit winter tyres? Fairly sure there were images on the news of police cars struggling in the "big freeze" the year before last. If not that is ridiculous.

--

Cheers,
Mike

I remember when the snow gritters couldn't get up some roads :lol:

I don't really remember than many problems with snow in Sweden. Things only really ground to a halt when the snow was so deep that I could jump out the second floor of the house and not die :D
Constant snow ploughs, gritters and heated footpaths and important sections of road helped thanks to the silly amounts of geothermal energy they have over there. Also studded winter tyres were a must.

Updated December 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Can't really expect to know how to drive in conditions they're not used to. You want to see what happens here when it rains :lol:

caneswell said...

nuttinnew said...

Wrong.

Haha the article reports 30cm of snow and interviews many people who've only been delayed a few hours. One said he didn't bother going to Ikea yesterday as the web said the roads were busy so he's going today instead. At worst they stayed in a hotel and got the train the next day.

Have you any idea of what 30cm of snow would do to this country!?

I know, I know, but the people inclined to moan won't let the details put them off ;)

The media-assisted attitude here would be 'I can't get to IKEA today because the council/government/anyone I can blame haven't cleared the roads' etc.

JLIC; Tuesday morning we had a dusting of snow here and there was a ten car crash. Fortunately no one was injured, but it didn't have to happen in the first place.

Going back a few decades, I'm guessing the design of the average tyre was similar to what we call four season, then as technology and knowledge advanced cold weather tyres were developed and then the average tyre was tweaked to be better in warmer weather because it didn't have to do everything.

--

In France I cannot remember any situation when the snow should be a real problem for cars.
When the chaos happens (from time to time) it's because:
- the weather forecast has not properly warned in advance, or has not been considered properly, leading to a lack of preparation;
- trucks continue to drive until they get caught and block all traffic.
In fact just stopping the trucks in time almost solves all problems.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

JustMax said...

This reminds me of a Twizy I saw this morning. The garage forgot to bring it in :lol:

--

Nuts on the road

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular