Forums > Moaning forum > Traffic Planners

TRAFFIC PLANNERS
Previous | 1 | Next

On my daily drives to Leeds and back, I have to endure our wonderful Highways Agency's Managed Motorway being built.

They've basically coned off several miles of motorway (I think it's about 10 miles covering 5 junctions). It's a 50mph limit, with narrow lanes and average speed cameras.

Of course, they're only working on one bit of it at a time so 9.75 miles of the roadworks are essentially pointless at any given moment.

This week, they've extended the works by 2 miles and 1 junction.

As you come away from Leeds, where the works used to end was the Brighouse junction. At this point, a 4th lane starts to start climbing up the Pennines and let everyone pass the slow wagons. Except now that they've extended the works, half a mile from where the 4th lane starts, they close it again leading to massive tailbacks as 4 lanes of traffic fight back into 3 lanes.

Utterly, utterly stupid. Bunch of fùcking morons. Why not just cone off lane 4 in its entirety?

Updated December 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM

--

Out of step with the forum.

No! You have no right to be annoyed, no right to complain, you are lucky there are roads at all y'know!

But yes it was a bit rubbish when I foolishly took the bradistan route into the yorkshire dales a couple of months ago.

You deserve anything they throw at you for being foolish enough to choose to the UK's worst commute. ;)

ETA: In all seriousness do you think a traffic planner will have been anywhere near it? In truth what will have happened is Mickey the "foreman" (or whatever it is for highway schemes) will have said to someone that they need to extend a lane, drawn up on the back of another drawing what they want to do, sent that off to the PM at the HA who, now that they're totally devoid of any ability to think or make a decision for themselves, will have just assumed that said contractor has a better idea than he does of what is the right thing to do, so just signs it off.

Updated December 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I do hope there is a special place in hell for the guys that "plan" roadworks in this country, they must have been bullied at school or something as nothing they do ever makes sense or shows compassion to the motorist. :evil:

It's just a complete lack of common sense.

--

They closed a big bit of the A2 since the end of the Olympics till just a week or so ago. 1 lane, 40MPH limit, about 6 miles long. They resurfaced 200 metres of road FFS!

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Swervin_Mervin said...

You deserve anything they throw at you for being foolish enough to choose to the UK's worst commute. ;)

ETA: In all seriousness do you think a traffic planner will have been anywhere near it? In truth what will have happened is Mickey the "foreman" (or whatever it is for highway schemes) will have said to someone that they need to extend a lane, drawn up on the back of another drawing what they want to do, sent that off to the PM at the HA who, now that they're totally devoid of any ability to think or make a decision for themselves, will have just assumed that said contractor has a better idea than he does of what is the right thing to do, so just signs it off.

This! The Managed Motorway is one thing. But now the extended traffic management you speak of is to install the concrete central reserve.
However, you would of thought the mighty HA would have installed the concrete central reserve when the traffic management was already in place when the HA upgraded the lighting columns last year.

And it doesn’t end there, if you commute north up the A1M from the recent upgrade of the A1 from Dishforth to Leeming yesterdays government autumn announcement, the go ahead for the upgrade north to Barton is back on the cards and will probably start construction in 2 years. So more coned misery in the pipeline.

I don't know why I worry about it, it'll all be over in Winter 2013 :roll:

--

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular