Forums > General > Non-Evo Question

NON-EVO QUESTION
Previous | 123 | Next

I was out on Saturday for the Judo club Christmas meal/piss up. One of the guys (who was off his face) started get really upset, so I asked him what was wrong. He said he didn't want to tell me in case we all hated him. I said I doubted that and he should tell me and if I thought it was truly terrible, I'd just keep it to myself. He said "I'm gay and I have a boyfriend". I just replied "And? You're not the first gay person we've had in the club and I'm pretty sure you won't be the last. Now stop being a dick and get the drinks in."

I'm amazed that he genuinely thought we wouldn't accept him and somehow shun him because he was gay. I thought that attitudes had changed in the last 20 years? Are people really still so narrow minded and prejudiced?

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

What does bother me is false, forced, OTT behaviour from our same-sex compadres. There's no need for it, and it's the equivalent of straight guys going around going "PHWOAARR!! I nob girls!" near-continously. It's boorish and domineering.

Don't make me unable to avoid your sexuality, it's not cool.

Updated December 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Delphi said...

Are people really still so narrow minded and prejudiced?

tl:dr yes.

I have absolutely no problem with people who are gay as long as they don't shove it down your face. Funnily, I know a lot of camp people who are straight but annoys me to infinity with the way they behave and act.

Uncannily similar response :lol:

:lol:

Maybe it's because it's Judo and being a proper contact sport, he felt even more uncomfortable to "come out".

Delphi said...

I thought that attitudes had changed in the last 20 years? Are people really still so narrow minded and prejudiced?

Yes, they are.

On Sunday I was at a wedding being held in a registry office. Twice during the ceremony, the registrar made derogatory comments about gay marriage. Firstly he said "marriage is a union between a man and a woman despite what Cameron and Clegg have in mind". The second time he pointed to a framed print on the wall that stated marriage being a union between man and woman and said marriage is as it says there, and hopefully will remain that way, despite Cameron and Clegg's plans.

--

Food | Large format print & graphics

I'd imagine the anxiety of coming out (horrible phrase, by the way) was the cause of the upset rather than the forecast reaction.

People can like who they like . Over campness is annoying but i have a straight mate who does that . I call him our happy camper

I thought he was going to say he was a Jehova Witness - I could understand him getting upset then :lol:.

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Blinkin' Jovo's.

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

I have absolutely no problem with people who are gay as long as they don't shove it down your face.

Quite!

I can see why this guy would be embarrassed to "come out" to the judo club.
Delphi, I bet he was made up that you put his mind at rest :)

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

JL said...

What does bother me is false, forced, OTT behaviour from our same-sex compadres. There's no need for it, and it's the equivalent of straight guys going around going "PHWOAARR!! I nob girls!" near-continously. It's boorish and domineering.

Don't make me unable to avoid your sexuality, it's not cool.

Precisely none of the gay people I know are like that. Maybe it's different over there! ;) Although is it even legal in Dubai?

--

JL said...

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

This.

And yes - some of "our generation" are still very much gay-o-phobic.

men hugging men in dressing gowns and he thought you would be shocked by telling you he was Gay ? :D

Delphi said...

Precisely none of the gay people I know are like that. Maybe it's different over there! ;) Although is it even legal in Dubai?

I must admit that of the gay people I know, there was only one guy like that, but he was so over the top about it it's formed something of an opinion. Hopefully you don't think I think all gay people are like that, as I know better than that! As for it being legal here - I don't know, to be honest. I'm too busy humping hotties, eating red meat and getting into fights to notice the bummers out here ;)

_Mick_N said...

men hugging men in dressing gowns and he thought you would be shocked by telling you he was Gay ? :D

:lol:

Given the number of MX5s and Evoques on the forum it is hardly surprising we are so tolerant! ;)

Some people hate anyone different. I am astonised when people hate others for their colour or sexuality etc.

Having said that, I remember in a previous job most of my colleagues being genuinely astonished that I was faithfull to my wife. They thought I was wierd! :shock:

Nowt as queer as folk. :D

Rev is gay?

_Mick_N said...

You're welcome to join us any time you feel like doing something more strenuous than dangling a stick over a stream, Mick! :D

--

Daddydadbo said...

Having said that, I remember in a previous job most of my colleagues being genuinely astonished that I was faithfull to my wife. They thought I was wierd! :shock:

Nowt as queer as folk. :D

[joke]Is she a minger or something then :lol: ?[/joke]

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular