Forums > General > Non-Evo Question

NON-EVO QUESTION
Previous | 123 | Next

I was out on Saturday for the Judo club Christmas meal/piss up. One of the guys (who was off his face) started get really upset, so I asked him what was wrong. He said he didn't want to tell me in case we all hated him. I said I doubted that and he should tell me and if I thought it was truly terrible, I'd just keep it to myself. He said "I'm gay and I have a boyfriend". I just replied "And? You're not the first gay person we've had in the club and I'm pretty sure you won't be the last. Now stop being a dick and get the drinks in."

I'm amazed that he genuinely thought we wouldn't accept him and somehow shun him because he was gay. I thought that attitudes had changed in the last 20 years? Are people really still so narrow minded and prejudiced?

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

What does bother me is false, forced, OTT behaviour from our same-sex compadres. There's no need for it, and it's the equivalent of straight guys going around going "PHWOAARR!! I nob girls!" near-continously. It's boorish and domineering.

Don't make me unable to avoid your sexuality, it's not cool.

Updated December 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Delphi said...

Are people really still so narrow minded and prejudiced?

tl:dr yes.

I have absolutely no problem with people who are gay as long as they don't shove it down your face. Funnily, I know a lot of camp people who are straight but annoys me to infinity with the way they behave and act.

--

Back to three pedals and a stick

Uncannily similar response :lol:

:lol:

Maybe it's because it's Judo and being a proper contact sport, he felt even more uncomfortable to "come out".

--

Delphi said...

I thought that attitudes had changed in the last 20 years? Are people really still so narrow minded and prejudiced?

Yes, they are.

On Sunday I was at a wedding being held in a registry office. Twice during the ceremony, the registrar made derogatory comments about gay marriage. Firstly he said "marriage is a union between a man and a woman despite what Cameron and Clegg have in mind". The second time he pointed to a framed print on the wall that stated marriage being a union between man and woman and said marriage is as it says there, and hopefully will remain that way, despite Cameron and Clegg's plans.

--

My food blog

I'd imagine the anxiety of coming out (horrible phrase, by the way) was the cause of the upset rather than the forecast reaction.

People can like who they like . Over campness is annoying but i have a straight mate who does that . I call him our happy camper

I thought he was going to say he was a Jehova Witness - I could understand him getting upset then :lol:.

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Blinkin' Jovo's.

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

I have absolutely no problem with people who are gay as long as they don't shove it down your face.

Quite!

I can see why this guy would be embarrassed to "come out" to the judo club.
Delphi, I bet he was made up that you put his mind at rest :)

--

My Flickr

DSP Active Speakers

JL said...

What does bother me is false, forced, OTT behaviour from our same-sex compadres. There's no need for it, and it's the equivalent of straight guys going around going "PHWOAARR!! I nob girls!" near-continously. It's boorish and domineering.

Don't make me unable to avoid your sexuality, it's not cool.

Precisely none of the gay people I know are like that. Maybe it's different over there! ;) Although is it even legal in Dubai?

--

JL said...

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

This.

And yes - some of "our generation" are still very much gay-o-phobic.

men hugging men in dressing gowns and he thought you would be shocked by telling you he was Gay ? :D

Delphi said...

Precisely none of the gay people I know are like that. Maybe it's different over there! ;) Although is it even legal in Dubai?

I must admit that of the gay people I know, there was only one guy like that, but he was so over the top about it it's formed something of an opinion. Hopefully you don't think I think all gay people are like that, as I know better than that! As for it being legal here - I don't know, to be honest. I'm too busy humping hotties, eating red meat and getting into fights to notice the bummers out here ;)

_Mick_N said...

men hugging men in dressing gowns and he thought you would be shocked by telling you he was Gay ? :D

:lol:

Given the number of MX5s and Evoques on the forum it is hardly surprising we are so tolerant! ;)

Some people hate anyone different. I am astonised when people hate others for their colour or sexuality etc.

Having said that, I remember in a previous job most of my colleagues being genuinely astonished that I was faithfull to my wife. They thought I was wierd! :shock:

Nowt as queer as folk. :D

Rev is gay?

--

_Mick_N said...

You're welcome to join us any time you feel like doing something more strenuous than dangling a stick over a stream, Mick! :D

--

Daddydadbo said...

Having said that, I remember in a previous job most of my colleagues being genuinely astonished that I was faithfull to my wife. They thought I was wierd! :shock:

Nowt as queer as folk. :D

[joke]Is she a minger or something then :lol: ?[/joke]

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular