Forums > Moaning forum > Idiots at work

IDIOTS AT WORK
Previous | 12 | Next

Can I have just one day at work where I don't have to:

1) correct somebody's repeated mistakes
2) explain to them how to do their jobs
3) make excuses to clients for mistakes, delays or outright stupidity
4) relentlessly chase people to get even the most basic tasks completed within a week of the deadline
5) review pretty much all communication flowing out to ensure they don't say something stupid
6) control my urge to scream at people for being dumber than snot.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Time to quit!

DeskJockey said...

4) relentlessly chase people to get even the most basic tasks completed within a week of the deadline
5) review pretty much all communication flowing out to ensure they don't say something stupid

Civil service ?

Become self-employed. Do all the same things but realise you only have yourself to blame :D

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Go all Danish Viking warrior at them. Then cut one of them in half with a battle axe.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

1) Train them and if they still can't get it right, performance manage them out over 12 weeks and replace them with someone competent
2) See 1
3) See 1
4) See 1
5) See 1
6) See 1

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

_Mick_N said...

DeskJockey said...

Civil service ?

Nope. New work being looked for.

Updated December 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM

--

DeskJockey
---

NotoriousREV said...

1) Train them and if they still can't get it right, performance manage them out over 12 weeks and replace them with someone just as incompetent, but now you've wasted more time and money on recruitment

EFA

exiges said...

NotoriousREV said...

1) Train them and if they still can't get it right, performance manage them out over 12 weeks and replace them with someone just as incompetent, but now you've wasted more time and money on recruitment

EFA

One of these damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

--

DeskJockey
---

exiges said...

NotoriousREV said...

EFA

1) Get yourself trained in recruiting skills

If you're not sacking 5% of your staff for incompetence each year, you're doing it wrong. You'd be surprised how much harder everyone else starts working.

Updated December 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM

--

Jobbo said...

NotoriousREV said...

exiges said...

NotoriousREV said...

EFA

1) Get yourself trained in recruiting skills

If you're not sacking 5% of your staff for incompetence each year, you're doing it wrong. You'd be surprised how much harder everyone else starts working.

5%? We've got turnover in excess of a 100%. I would settle for 50%.

--

DeskJockey
---

Sounds toxic. Dump it.

--

Jobbo said...

NotoriousREV said...

Sounds toxic. Dump it.

In the process. What have you got going for a man of my talents (and based in SE London)?

--

DeskJockey
---

NotoriousREV said...

1) Train them and if they still can't get it right, performance manage them out over 12 weeks and replace them with someone competent
2) See 1
3) See 1
4) See 1
5) See 1
6) See 1

What if it's a director of the company you work for who fits that bill? :lol:

Beany said...

NotoriousREV said...

2) See 1
3) See 1
4) See 1
5) See 1
6) See 1

What if it's a director of the company you work for who fits that bill? :lol:

1) Manage up. Tell him just enough to keep him off your back but don't let him take big decisions.

--

Jobbo said...

DeskJockey said...

NotoriousREV said...

Sounds toxic. Dump it.

In the process. What have you got going for a man of my talents (and based in SE London)?

Sadly nowt in London. What I need is a contract Change Manager (12 months) in Leeds.

--

Jobbo said...

I want 100K, a fuel card, month on month off rotation and be able to shout "Big Business" at every meeting.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

GraniteV8 said...

I want 100K, a fuel card, month on month off rotation and be able to shout "Big Business" at every meeting.

Dave!

No. That's my job.

--

Jobbo said...

On the other end of the scale, I just received feedback from my latest interview.

Resounding no :lol:

I decided to man up and ask for reasons why, i didn't mind if it wasn't constructive just a straight forward reason on WHY.

10 emails :roll: later and I still haven't quite got the jist of why they do not want to employ me. Apparently I waffled but was also too comprehensive (eh?) and they didn't like how I 'relayed' my presentation, mainly because I didn't get to the point. After every point I gave them a reason, a development, a conclusion. I'm not sure how more to the point I can get.

So, from both sides of employment, you really are damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

:?

--

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”

drophead said...

On the other end of the scale, I just received feedback from my latest interview.

Resounding no :lol:

I decided to man up and ask for reasons why, i didn't mind if it wasn't constructive just a straight forward reason on WHY.

10 emails :roll: later and I still haven't quite got the jist of why they do not want to employ me. Apparently I waffled but was also too comprehensive (eh?) and they didn't like how I 'relayed' my presentation, mainly because I didn't get to the point. After every point I gave them a reason, a development, a conclusion. I'm not sure how more to the point I can get.

So, from both sides of employment, you really are damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

:?

You failed one of the 3 interview questions. I'm guessing you just didn't quite click with them (or someone else clicked more). The feedback is just them trying to justify it.

Think of it as practice for the job you really want.

--

Jobbo said...

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular