Forums > General > Winter reminder

WINTER REMINDER
Previous | 1 | Next

I know you are all forgetful, so thought I'd remind you all (after seeing my neighbour struggle to get into their car at the weekend).

Wipe door seals with clear silicone shoe-shine. Takes seconds and works a treat. Many brands available.

Here endeth this tip reminder.

Or buy a garage.

Marv makes a good point. 8)

If your car is currently parked outside, then either do this, or buy a garage.

Ensure all of your journeys have a garage at the other end too guys. Phone Claridges if you need any help. :idea:

Oh and DO remember to drive to the conditions. :lol:

As for the shoe shine tip - buy a better car if that happens.

I'm not sure if Mik's suggestion is any cheaper, but personally I recommend the proper stuff: Gummi Pflege.

Which reminded me I need to get some new door seals for the Volvo. Two of them are looking rather worse for wear.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Just buy a garage Deskjockey. Problem solved. 8)

Thanks for the reminder guys.

My garage is full of cr*p however I've a carport too and that's great, no frost or ice problems on the car and no opening and closing of garage doors. The builders turn up next year and it's going to be filled in, I'll certainly miss it though, very handy.

I have a can of silicone spray - do you think that would work well enough?

_Mick_N said...

My garage is full of cr*p however I've a carport too and that's great, no frost or ice problems on the car and no opening and closing of garage doors. The builders turn up next year and it's going to be filled in, I'll certainly miss it though, very handy.

Why does a carport make any difference? I used to park in one and experienced the same thing - no frost even on the coldest of days. It certainly doesn't notably affect the temperature, so I guess it's that moisture comes mainly downwards out of the sky, and a car port etc shelters the car from it?

What about Vaseline? I've read before on the internet that it's a very bad thing to put on rubber as it degrades it, but I used to use it on all the seals on the old mk1 Clio seemingly without ill-effect.

Well the roof / walls must radiate some heat and also as you so no where for water droplets to settle.

Even when it got to minus 15 or so there still wasn't any ice problems.

Swervin_Mervin said...

What about Vaseline? I've read before on the internet that it's a very bad thing to put on rubber as it degrades it, but I used to use it on all the seals on the old mk1 Clio seemingly without ill-effect.

No wonder you couldn't sell it! :shock:

The Saab is one of the worst cars for freezing door seals.

YOu would think being Swedish it would be quite handy in cold temperatures. As I have no room or cash for a garage I may get some shoe polish. Cheers. :D

_Mick_N said...

Well the roof / walls must radiate some heat and also as you so no where for water droplets to settle.

Even when it got to minus 15 or so there still wasn't any ice problems.

Also reflects the heat the car would normally be radiating out into space on a clear night.

--

Cheers,
Mike

mik said...

Marv makes a good point. 8)

If your car is currently parked outside, then either do this, or buy a garage.

Ensure all of your journeys have a garage at the other end too guys. Phone Claridges if you need any help. :idea:

Just get one of your servants to kip in the car overnight, and fire it up 1/2 hour before you need it. ;)

mik said...

Have a garage (although no access - landlord is using it to store rubbish in), but even if we could use it the thing is so narrow I wouldn't be able to get out of the car.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

DeskJockey said...

mik said...

Have a garage (although no access - landlord is using it to store rubbish in), but even if we could use it the thing is so narrow I wouldn't be able to get out of the car.

Climb out of the rear hatch.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular