Forums > General > No more original windscreen

NO MORE ORIGINAL WINDSCREEN
Previous | 12 | Next

Got in my car to go to work and was welcomed by this

After 18 years and 206,438 miles the original screen was finished off by a sharp frost :(

I know it was a bit of a forum joke after that csl ad, but I was quite proud of still having the original screen complete with running in instruction sticker.

How do I go about getting a decent quality screen without it costing as much as the car is worth ( which without the original screen is pretty much sod all now anyway ;) )

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Won't your insurance cover it?

THat's so funny because my 328 had it's original screen until last week due to an almost identical crack (admittedly it had been slowly growing since Feb this year!)

You can get your insurance company to replace it for ~£75 shirley?

p.s. in your experience what is the usual cause of running rich/poor mpg in these? Had the thermostat changed on Saturday as it was running cool and it hasn't fixed the low mpg.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Probably, but I don't want the cheap polish crap autoglass usually try and fit.

Will have to give them a ring and see if they'll do a proper pilkington one, or let me pay a bit extra for a BMW one.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

miles the original screen was finished off

Hate to break it to you dude I just told Zips it was so he would pay my overinflated asking price. The running in instructions were actually from a Matra Rancho i just stuck on it.

Cheers

Steve

integrale_evo said...

Probably, but I don't want the cheap polish crap autoglass usually try and fit.

Will have to give them a ring and see if they'll do a proper pilkington one, or let me pay a bit extra for a BMW one.

Mine must now be a Polish one :cry:

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

That'll T-Cut out!

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

When the scoob screen cracked autoglass wanted to fit some cheap p1sh without the darkened "visor" sections along the top.

I told them I wanted a Subaru screen. They told me I could have one - if I paid an extra £400.

We compromised on Pilkington glass (they make the scoob screens) for £0 extra.

Harry, seeing as your car will have a replacement sreen, and is officially declared a worthless deathtrap as a result, how about we do a swapsy for my Puma, with it's original, heated screen.

I'm doing you a favour, dude.

It's the Autoglass monkey you must be scared off, not the glass.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Mito Man said...

It's the Autoglass monkey you must be scared off, not the glass.

Mine was quite normal. He even warned me that the scuttle trim on E36s often cracked when removed but that would be as careful as possible. He managed to get it off fine.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

My colleague had autoglass out to fit a screen and it was a friendly American guy who did a lovely job of the fitting.

--

Large format print & graphics

I'm just spreading rumours from the Internet. They do tend to break things (particularly rain sensors) but its not usually their fault and they do warm you beforehand as above.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

I've still not bothered to phone them, it can wait until next week when i'm on the other shift.

However, someone else has said that bmw can do them through insurance just like accident repairs so might be worth popping in for a word.

Autoglass came and put a new screen in my dads alfa spider this morning,and it's a proper pilkington one (all be it with a MASSIVE logo ) I can't imagine he asked specifically for a good one so maybe that's just what they fit as standard.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

I had a Pilkington one once in my old valver. It was crap, and there were obvious distortions in the glass. :(

Evo - the thrill of choosing a pane of glass! :)

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Well, oddly enough I put being able to see where I'm going quite high up on the list of things I want to be right with my car.

Quite a lot higher up than soft noisy tyres to be able to cope with the two snowy days we might get ;)

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Glass is glass though, right?

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

mattcambs said...

Glass is glass though, right?

Hell no! Why do you think Nikon and Canon get away with charging fortunes for their lenses!

--

Strong Broo Racing

I used autoglass for the side window of the m coupe when it was broken into - it is proper bmw glass as took them a week to get it.

Autowindscreens used to make their own - bust now?

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular