Forums > General > Don't buy a GTR! Buy an Audi A1 instead!!!

DON'T BUY A GTR! BUY AN AUDI A1 INSTEAD!!!
Previous | 12 | Next

Slippery when wet

:P

--

Cheers,

Ian

Or fit narrower winter tyres to the GTR ;).

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

It would have been a slightly more worthwhile comparison if they'd left the VDC on or at least in R mode in the GT-R...

"Hey look, one of the most technologically advanced cars performs differently if you turn all that technology off!

:roll:

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

David_Yu said...

It would have been a slightly more worthwhile comparison if they'd left the VDC on or at least in R mode in the GT-R...

"Hey look, one of the most technologically advanced cars performs differently if you turn all that technology off!

:roll:

so the computer does do all the driving for you

thanks for the clarification

--

WIBBLE

Or maybe David means that in those conditions they're a very useful feature rather than 'doing all the driving for you'

In the dry however, I presume some owners will turn the electronics off and have some fun. They don't stay on all the time.

I'd love to see that hideous Audi keep up then.

Updated December 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

They confirmed that the GTR was on normal rubber, but I'd be interested to know how worn the tyres were too?

Not suggesting it would have changed the result, but it would be interesting to see a comparison of "a car" on that wet handling track on 3mm treaded tyres and then fresh tyres - must be worth at least 5 secs - even with the increase in gearing. :D

mik said...

They confirmed that the GTR was on normal rubber, but I'd be interested to know how worn the tyres were too?

Not suggesting it would have changed the result, but it would be interesting to see a comparison of "a car" on that wet handling track on 3mm treaded tyres and then fresh tyres - must be worth at least 5 secs - even with the increase in gearing. :D

Yeah a well thrashed demo car might not have the freshest rubber, although the Dunlop runflats on the GT-R are pretty useless in the wet unless brand spanking new anyway.
Dangerous in the wet when even part worn and the Bridgestone alternatives are even worse.

One of my scariest moments in the car was at 50mph on the sliproad off the M25 when I decided I had to bail rather than take the next junction and the right hand side decided to aquaplane and yaw the car about 35 degrees!

The Autocar "test" done with the Michelin Pilot Sports I've now switched to and with VDC on would have been a genuinely interesting comparison.

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

so Mich Pilot Sports are the tyre to go for atm?

the OEM contis on my car are pee poor ...

--

WIBBLE

Eric Pisch said...

No, the GTR is sh1tter than the sh1ttest car Audi makes so the GTR fanboys must justify this discrepancy by making up excuses.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

An Audi A1 @ 40k. Pointless. Thread closed.

--

3 - 2 - 1 - Go.................

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

An Audi A1. Pointless. Thread closed.

EFA

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

DeskJockey said...

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

An Audi A1. Pointless. Thread closed.

EFA

This.

Eric Pisch said...

They are something of a miracle tyre to be honest. Ride is much better than the OEM runflats (obviously), dry grip is about the same, wet grip is MASSIVELY better, noise is infinitely lower, they are about half the price of the admittedly vastly overpriced OEM Dunlops and most amazingly of all, they don't appear to wear out!

I've had my set on for nearly 9 months and 5000/6000 hard miles, (including a severe thrashing by Dickie M for the suspension test I wrote about) and they still have tons of tread left. I have never known a high performance tyre to last as long.

ETA, these are not Pilot Sports BTW, these are Pilot Super Sports. Big difference.

Updated December 3, 2012 at 7:19 PM

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

On a track that slippery, I have to think that rally-style driving would have been more effective. I would love to see how much Loeb could shave off that time in either car.

David_Yu said...

Eric Pisch said...

They are something of a miracle tyre to be honest. Ride is much better than the OEM runflats (obviously), dry grip is about the same, wet grip is MASSIVELY better, noise is infinitely lower, they are about half the price of the admittedly vastly overpriced OEM Dunlops and most amazingly of all, they don't appear to wear out!

I've had my set on for nearly 9 months and 5000/6000 hard miles, (including a severe thrashing by Dickie M for the suspension test I wrote about) and they still have tons of tread left. I have never known a high performance tyre to last as long.

ETA, these are not Pilot Sports BTW, these are Pilot Super Sports. Big difference.

thanks Dave, cant wait to get shot of the contis and i now know what to get :)

--

WIBBLE

You can't beat physics

--

Cheers,
Mike

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

An Audi A1 @ 40k. Pointless. Thread closed.

It's ironic that a car that is shaped to appeal only to women and gheys has so much power. And the price is utterly insane. Who will buy this car?

But how good does the GTR look in white with black wheels. Absolutely superb 8)

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

I've driven a GTR three times now, finally last week on a track. The GTR is INCREDIBLE!

If you want to learn how to drive turn the electronics off, that is an option available to you. If you want to go faster than any real road car then leave them on and it will smash cars like the Audi R8 it to the weeds - if you've not driven one then take my word, it's that fast.

Thanks for sharing the video, a bit like when a Mini won the Monte Carlo rally beating things like 911's.

--

www.nitroaddiction.co.uk

DK Turbo said...

I
Thanks for sharing the video, a bit like when a Mini won the Monte Carlo rally beating things like 911's.

I don't recall the Mini Coopers having a price tag 75% of that of a 911 of the day.

Please, do expand on this point, unless the only bit you are referring to is the fact that one is a small car, the other is a coupe ;)

Beany said...

DK Turbo said...

I

I don't recall the Mini Coopers having a price tag 75% of that of a 911 of the day.

Please, do expand on this point, unless the only bit you are referring to is the fact that one is a small car, the other is a coupe ;)

the A1 is a highly butchered car and only 333 exist so I don't have a problem with the price, especially as you can spec the normal models well into the mid 30s, hopefully it should hold its money well

wouldn't be my first choice for an audi, but would probably be in my top 20 lotto win cars

--

WIBBLE

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular