Forums > General > Trackday cancelled due to ice

TRACKDAY CANCELLED DUE TO ICE
Previous | 12 | Next

Booked in to open pit lane today at Knockhill circuit in Fife. They phoned 1 hour before to say it was can cancelled due to ice on the track!! Has this happened to anyone else? It's a beautiful day here, cold yes, but the sun's beating down. All the roads are fine because i presume they were gritted last night. Why on earth can't they do the same for the circuit? Very disappointing

Updated December 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Presumably because having a gritty surface wouldn't be ideal for grip either.

--

I often drive for a road travel

zedleg said...

Presumably because having a gritty surface wouldn't be ideal for grip either.

Well just salt then? Gritted roads are perfectly grippy. I fear it's just lack of preparation

I think you have overly high expectations as to what a circuit can and should do in bad weather. They're not going to risk the track surface for a couple of days worth of ice.

Obviously you're disappointed but shít happens.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

Knockhill on FB said...

Sorry to all, decision made at 9.30am with the priority to phone all 30 drivers who were pre booked to to come, then post on Facebook etc by around 10am. We wanted to give the sun the best chance to do its work, but by 9.30am, it was clear the temp is not going to get to the 5 or 6 degrees required. Its snow on top of ice today, so even Sebastian Loeb would be challenged with this type of track condition. See everyone at the Christmas Cracker Hot Hatch on the 16th

So it isn't just a case of a bit of frost or patchy ice.

Updated December 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM

--

I often drive for a road travel

Hmm, didn't look at all snowy this morning. I got the call whilst on my way there. If it's not safe to drve then so be it I guess.

Will maybe try to head to the warm(er) south for a track day next weekend instead

When I did Cadwell last month the approach roads and circuit were one big ice rink. They sent the gritter out to do a few laps and after twenty minutes under striped red/yellow flages the circuit was fine.

They just tweeted me this photo:

God knows if the link works, never posted a pic before

That'll be no then.

Maybe this pic.twitter.com/jQV3YBBX

Anyone got some studded tyres :lol:

Updated December 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

The weather at Knockhill is often completely different from everywhere surrounding it. :?

Meh, I thought you Scotch were used to a bit of frost

;)

CLICK

I was a couple of miles away from there today and it was indeed surprisingly slippy out.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Even Snetterton looked similar yesterday morning, but the sun came out and it ended up being like this:

However, the temp didn't get above 3°C :shock:.

Great for charge temps - saw a peak of 14°C at 1.5 bar 8). In fact the wind chill factor at speed was so great, that the thermostat was tripping in and out ON TRACK :shock:.

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Knockhill is on the side of the Ochils. They proper cop it up there.

I did Oulton Park in -9c temps. Shell corner was treacherous (and gritted), and tbh I was bricking it all day.
Better off trying to get a refund, imo.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

revsrus said...

Very disappointing

Who was the track day company ?

I've been to some bitch cold trackdays with BookaTrack and those boys actually encourage people to get out on the track in the ice.. best way to learn car control at much lower speeds.

In fact, I think the last time I met David Yu there was snow on the track at Donington.

You sir have good taste in car revsrus. :D

--

Kintegra y0!

exiges said...

revsrus said...

Very disappointing

Who was the track day company ?

I've been to some bitch cold trackdays with BookaTrack and those boys actually encourage people to get out on the track in the ice.. best way to learn car control at much lower speeds.

In fact, I think the last time I met David Yu there was snow on the track at Donington.

No track day company, knockhill pretty much do them all 'in house'

Updated December 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Coaster said...

You sir have good taste in car revsrus. :D

Likewise

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular