Forums > General > Ford's heated screens

FORD'S HEATED SCREENS
Previous | 1234 | Next

In this weather are one of the best inventions evar.

Is it correct that Ford have some sort of patent on this technology? I've read this before on several forums and would probably explain why people on my road with newer cars are sometimes scraping away and de-icing their screens in the morning.

If so this is a feature I will miss greatly on my next car.

One of the best things about my first car: Ford Focus :D.

However, I did at times keep staring at them :shock: and wondered how they managed it?

Alex88 said...

Is it correct that Ford have some sort of patent on this technology? I've read this before on several forums and would probably explain why people on my road with newer cars are sometimes scraping away and de-icing their screens in the morning.

I believe they do yes. Volvo don't patent any of their safety innovations for the reason that doing so could cost lives. It could be argued this is a safety invention; that helps stop people driving off with inadequately cleared screens. They should allow others to use the idea, even if on on licence.

Updated December 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM

--

www.leatherbetter.co.uk
Make imperfect leather brand new again.

The heated screen was one of the reasons I chose the Evoque over other cars (and the heated seats). Makes it a good winter car. It should arrive mid-May :lol:

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

Alex88 said...

Totally agree, all cars should have them. Surely if Ford have the patent they could make a killing on licensing it to other manufacturers.

I read someone's post on here saying it's only a limited patent or something and that it expires soon so other manufacturers can start fitting them.

Can a patent not be renewed?

I agree with the comment about it being a safety feature. I've also seen people drive off with poorly cleared screens due to impatience.

:? A heated screen may be a convenience, but I'm not sure it's really a safety feature.

I think it is. People would rather press a button and have the work done for them rather than scrap away in the cold. At least with the screen all of the ice/frost is definitely gone rather than just doing what you think is necessary.

I don't like the lines, especially at night, I found them really distracting.

Id rather spend a minute scraping the screen and side windows and have perfectly clear line free glass.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

I thought they'd be a pain when I first noticed them but now they don't bother me at all. Sometimes I see them in certain light but it's not often at all.

Yes to patent.

Mrs mik's Disco3 has one - they are superb imho.

8Ball said...

:? A heated screen may be a convenience, but I'm not sure it's really a safety feature.

I believe it is. Unlike my recent ST my work Kangoo van takes a bloody lifetime to clear its screen, even after scraping off ice. On a few occasions I have got impatient and set off hoping I had enough visibility, only to pull up metres later realising I have nothing of the sort. Shouldn't happen, but people do it.

Updated December 1, 2012 at 1:30 PM

--

www.leatherbetter.co.uk
Make imperfect leather brand new again.

My favourite invention is the BMW thing where you press a remote button 15 minutes before you drive and it heats up the car and deices itself. The Ford thing is pretty cool but the lines annoy me. Then you have the most pointless invention where on some cars just the area round then wipers gets heated up which does fvck all.
I just put on a ceramic treatment this time of year on all my glass which stops any ice forming in the first place.

*awaits forum argument on whether or not one should use a kettle of hot water to deice the car while some members swear by it and others throw a hissy fit over the risk of cracking the original windscreen*
;)

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mito Man said...

I just put on a ceramic treatment this time of year on all my glass which stops any ice forming in the first place.

Wossat then?

My wifes car has them and I find it makes my eyes sore after a short while :shock: . Also every now and then I find I focus on them rather than through them, bit like one of those seeing eye puzzles.

--

And for that reason I'm out.

Our Focus has one too and I completely agree they are fantastic !

As for it being a safety feature, not in any wY shape or form. It's an easy way of clearing the screen and that is all. It let's you be lazy in the morning, if a car doesn't have one then don't be lazy or silly enough to drive off till you know you have good visibility.

In really icy spells I switch the front and rear screens on but still need to scrape the side windows, just like everyone else.

The Landy gets the Eberspacher fire up 15 minutes before departing and it is toasty warm and ice free. Too bad it is currently borked mind you.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

John said...

Mito Man said...

Wossat then?

It's the glass equivalent of the electric supercharger/ fuel line magnets.

GraniteV8 said...

The Landy gets the Eberspacher fire up 15 minutes before departing and it is toasty warm and ice free. Too bad it is currently borked mind you.

Mrs mik's disco has the fuel burning heater, with a £40 timer as opposed to the £200 "plipper" activation.

Doesn't operate the fans (Disco 4 has that option) to demist, but it is obvioulsly toastie warm the second you start the engine.

Superb piece of kit 8) , although it is utterly 5hit at clearing the car when your missus can't manage to remember to perform a single-button-press to activate the b4stard device at any point 24hrs before you want the feggin thing to go off. :roll:

We have the fuel burning heater in ours too. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't work. Thanks to the geniuses at Land Rover, after 3 attempts to light, it needs a software reset at the dealer before it'll attempt it again. So even if I cleaned up the igniter thingy it still wouldn't light. :roll:

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular