Forums > General > Computer too cold to turn on.

COMPUTER TOO COLD TO TURN ON.
Previous | 12 | Next

The last 2 days when I've gone to turn it on it refuses to do anything, the led on the back shows there is power but nothing happens, it was rather cold here the past couple of nights and on feeling the case it was cold but not that cold. Unplugging it and standing it by a radiator for 5 minutes had it working fine, same this morning. Obviously this is getting somewhat tiresome! What controls the temperature at which it will turn on? Over the years I've had about 8 pc's that have all lived in exactly the same spot and never had a problem. It's a 6 week old Dell Inspiron btw and no it can't be moved anywhere else.

Move out of Siberia?

--

Out of step with the forum.

As I said, it's cold but not that cold, hasn't even hit minus figures yet!

You have a female computer.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Your computer is faulty, raise a support ticket.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Zonda_ said...

Unplugging it and standing it by a radiator... and no it can't be moved anywhere else.

:?:

exiges said...

Zonda_ said...

Unplugging it and standing it by a radiator... and no it can't be moved anywhere else.

:?:

The radiator is by the door in an inspired move by the house 'designers'. There is nowhere else in the room it could go and frankly when every other machine has performed fine there why should it?

Si_ said...

Your computer is faulty, raise a support ticket.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

I'm busy trawling the Dell site to find out how to do it!

It's usually the colder the better with PC's (within reason).

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Heat causes metal to expand, etc.

--

ClubLupo
Technomotive - Games, Cars, Stuff

There are proably jumpers on your motherboard.

Pull these out and put them on the computer to keep it warm.

Job jobbed.

likely it's the elder coin battery on the motherboard (used to keep bios setting saved) going nuts: go and replace it with something in a better shape, less than 1 pound should do the trick.

Gino Pilotino said...

likely it's the elder coin battery on the motherboard (used to keep bios setting saved) going nuts: go and replace it with something in a better shape, less than 1 pound should do the trick.

The machine is 6 weeks old!

Pay your Mum some board and she might put some money in the meter.

_Mick_N said...

Pay your Mum some board and she might put some money in the meter.

That was quite :lol: for a Micking. Well done.

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

Mark BT52 said...

You have a female computer.

:lol:

--

Bunta's Tofu

My work PC has exactly the same problem. I cured it (sort of) by placing one of those electric oil radiators with a timer next to it (on a low heat) before i leave the office, setting it to switch on an hour before i get there in the morning.

Computer being too cold is not a thing.

Is it?

Liquid Nitrogen PC cooling

Most electrical stuff will have an operating temperature range in the manual. read that and if the temperature is within that range but not working send it back.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

I'd bet on dry joints somewhere - probably motherboard or power supply.

Can work your way round them with a soldering iron if you know what you're doing, or possibly the oven trick (190-200 degrees for a few minutes) as a last resort if you were going to bin it anyway.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular