Forums > Gaming forum > FarCry 3 Quicklook

FARCRY 3 QUICKLOOK

I've got an i7 2600K processor, Asus P8Z68-Pro motherboard, 8gb of DDR3 (667Mhz) memory and a Radeon 6950 that I've flashed the firmware to make it a 6970.

Nothing is overclocked, and it's aircooled, its my work PC.

It's pretty good bang for the buck, the GFX card was only £110 I think, the next step up would have been another £100 for not much more performance, same goes for the processor.

I need to use Photoshop etc which is why I went for the i7, I know those on a budget recommend an equivalent i5, because you won't need the hyperthreading for games.

Updated December 1, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Yeah was planning on an i5 and swaying towards the radeon cards as they appear to offer more for your money over nivdia at the moment.

Spent a few hours on this yesterday night and was blown away, especially by the start - such a great and intense intro to the game. The island and practically everything on it are a lot more intimidating than I anticipated. You really are made to feel like a noob at the start, which of course, you are.

I've had so many memorable moments and I've barely scratched the surface!

Sí Barone said...

Yeah was planning on an i5 and swaying towards the radeon cards as they appear to offer more for your money over nivdia at the moment.

As mentioned, i7 is a waste unless you need it for a specific application. For gaming, an i5 (and overclocked, if you desire such things) is more than enough.

Wouldn't bother with more than 8GB, either. Graphics related, I swear by nVidia myself, but that's more of a personal preference.

--

ClubLupo
Technomotive - Games, Cars, Stuff

I've been an nVidia man for as long as I can remember, but there's no denying the value for money in the Radeons at the moment

According to THIS thread, the x360 and PS3 are running in 1280x704 (8 lines removed from the top + bottom of 720) and average 20-25 FPS on the X360 and 15-20FPS on the PS3..

I don't know what level of detail / lighting / shading / textures the console ports are running.

Green Man Gaming have Far Cry 3 for the PC on digital download now (it's not on Steam until the 4th in the UK), and this code gives you 30% off making it £24.50

Code : GMG30-DEC01-ARFC9

just ordered my copy on ps3:D

--

Do not act as if thou wert going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over thee. While thou livest, while it is in thy power, be good.

exiges said...

According to THIS thread, the x360 and PS3 are running in 1280x704 (8 lines removed from the top + bottom of 720) and average 20-25 FPS on the X360 and 15-20FPS on the PS3..

I don't know what level of detail / lighting / shading / textures the console ports are running.

I should be used to it now, but my GTX 560 (which was a £210 card only 12 months ago) cannot run Witcher 2 maxxed out, nor can it maintain a good stable (ie, consistently more than 25fps) framerate with Far Cry 3 maxxed out according to benchmark articles.

It's not a major issue, but I feel a little left behind if I can't have all the shiny things turned on...

--

ClubLupo

I have that card.

Seems ok on mine maxxed out ?

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

andybond said...

I have that card.

Seems ok on mine maxxed out ?

Some benchmark place are running at 1680x1050 (my res) at full whack, and averaging 30fps. They recommend at least a 6xx card to avoid any jerky moments.

Will still give it a shot though once I eventually get around to playing it ;)

--

ClubLupo

Don't forget, nVidia released a new driver 2-3 days ago with specific FarCry improvements.

http://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-releases-geforce-310-64-beta-drivers-aimed-at-far-cry-3-29258977

I got eaten by a crocodile earlier. Didn't even see it when I jumped in the water :D

Dunno what my frame rates are but mine is running very smooth on ultra detail, looks amazing.

--

Done.

And done... just the co-op to save for xmas day with my bro.

Very, very good game - well worth a look.

(I must get this for pc) :oops:

--

Bunta's Tofu

Enjoying this very much. Some missions are a little linear. I dont always want to do m1 - m2 - m3 then free roam.

Bruce , drop me a line when you are back. You can have my copy ..

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

Bunta said...

Already! How long from start to finish?

--

ClubLupo

MattyB_ said...

Bunta said...

Already! How long from start to finish?

I stormed it over the weekend - only thing left to do now is the co-op missions.

To be fair - it is a huge game but if you just follow the story I'd say around 8 - 10 hours.

I must have put 30 in over the weekend. :oops:

--

Bunta's Tofu

I'd love to know what the co-op is like, sounds a blast

NSFW co-op trailer

:twisted:

--

Bunta's Tofu

Another day another beta driver designed for FarCry.

nVidia 310.70 BETA was released yesterday.

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular