Forums > Moaning forum > Paper driving licenses

PAPER DRIVING LICENSES
Previous | 1 | Next

The fact you still need them when getting a hire car or in this instance a Mercedes courtesy car, waste of time introducing the bloody card type FFS!!

--

A yellow loltus

A rather irrelevant and archaic leftover - join the 21st century FFS (the DVLA, not you).

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Isn't it about time we just get ID cards? Everyone can carry one. It could work as our passport and driving license etc.

Obviously Daily Fail readers would be outraged because of the "privacy violation", but lets face it "they" know all about you/us already.

(i see passport has been added to the swear filter)

Why not go the while hog and stick a chip in everyone's neck?

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Si_ said...

I think just a card would suffice.

I struggle to understand the objection to ID cards - they're a damn sight better than the continued reliance on utility bills and bank statements.

As long as the data is owned by the individual and used only by government entities and not shared with "carefully selected partners that may contact you from time to time" (=any tw4t that can afford to buy the list and spam you continuously with offers of tat, rubbish and sh1t).

--

DeskJockey
---

In Hong Kong, they have ID cards and you are obliged to carry it with you every single day. I believe you get fined if you can't produce it with good reason when asked by the police. I believe it's to combat illegal immigrants.

I think they are every hand. Most people use public transport so the majority may not have a driving licence (card form) for identifying purposes. Also, I love using it at airports as there is no need to wait in stupidly long queues. Card in, fingerprint scanner, off you go.

Had them in Sweden since forever. Seems like a good idea at first. You have a card you can use for everything, shopping, hiring , doctor etc. The bad thing then is that your employers could write your references on it so...
You can also have all your exam results and credit history on some of them.
They're not compulsory but if you want to get a job any firm will demand to see one so they're pretty compulsory.

Here you can hide some things and have a chance of getting a good job whereas there if you make a mistake in life (even speeding can ruin your chances of getting a job) you're fvcked for life.

ID Cards - good for the government and employers, bad for everyone else.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Back to Foz's moan - this baffles me as well. WTF is the point in having a photocard licence only to have to potentially keep your paper counterpart at hand as well?

Gets right on my goat. :evil:

Maybe it's harder to forge a paper driving license?
I remember at school when we were under 18 everyone bought fake driving licenses for a tenner and they looked pretty indistinguishable to the real thing.
It's probably the insurers requirement for them to check the paper license.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mito Man said...

Maybe it's harder to forge a paper driving license?

Are you kidding me?

It's (potentially) not hard to forge a plastic one. We have the equipment sat on the desk next to me, use it to make our own smartcards with.

--

Mito Man said...

Had them in Sweden since forever. Seems like a good idea at first. You have a card you can use for everything, shopping, hiring , doctor etc. The bad thing then is that your employers could write your references on it so...
You can also have all your exam results and credit history on some of them.
They're not compulsory but if you want to get a job any firm will demand to see one so they're pretty compulsory.

Here you can hide some things and have a chance of getting a good job whereas there if you make a mistake in life (even speeding can ruin your chances of getting a job) you're fvcked for life.

ID Cards - good for the government and employers, bad for everyone else.

I'm glad to note that you grasp of reality is as tenuous as ever.

--

DeskJockey
---

RichardMajor86 said...

Si_ said...

I think just a card would suffice.

Everyone should have an ID code tattoo'd on to them at birth. I believe these guys had the right idea* :lol:

* Clearly this post is complete BS.

Updated November 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

--

Waiting for the Technological Singularity.

:D Yeah I was trying to avoid any references to our sausage-loving friends.

Seriously, though a chip in the neck with everything on would be ideal. You can't lose it. Read it with an RFID scanner. Bosh, job done.

--

Si_ said...

:D Yeah I was trying to avoid any references to our sausage-loving friends.

Seriously, though a chip in the neck with everything on would be ideal. You can't lose it. Read it with an RFID scanner. Bosh, job done.

It'd make having an MRI "interesting" if nothing else! :D

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Ah. They never mentioned that in teh xfiles ;)

--

The thing that you have to laugh at the UK system is that the plastic card you have already has the ability that all the other countries use. In other countries the police swipe it in the car and it shows your information live, there and then.

But the UK doesn't want the reader. So you have the piece of paper that the police write on. If you have it on you, which I think is still optional. So you have the efficency, reliability of writing a cheque.

--

Whiskey is my yoga

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular