Forums > General > iTunes apps?

ITUNES APPS?
Previous | 12 | Next

Are there any good, preferably free apps on Mac that can clean up my music collection after iTunes has borked it then re-import it into iTunes?

I've ended up with several thousand duplicates thanks to the way iTunes has tried to organise my folders after copying them from other PCs. e.g. BumCop by Crazy Penis is in a "Crazy Penis" folder, a "Ministry of Sound Presents Chilled Sessions" folder a "Ministry of Sounds Presents Chilled Sess" folder and another folder that seems identical to another folder but somehow isn't.

F*cking iTunes!

Although, just to be clear, I want to pull my stuff out of iTunes, clean it up then stick it back in (requote at will). I don't want to move away from using iTunes normally.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

No idea.

But under the same title, how can I update an app via iTunes on the laptop rather than directly on the iPhone?
TomTom just released an update, but says if I do it on the phone I will lose all settings, and to do it via "the iTunes app on my computer".

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Apps/Updates Available, then Sync?

--

Waiting for the Technological Singularity.

tune up?

its an add on - finds missing artwork and sorts duplicates for you.

--

Hmmmmm BO! BO! Chick.............. Chick a chickaaahhh!

ilmostro said...

Can't find an update button anywhere on iTunes. You can "buy" it, but I don't want to risk buying it again when all I want to do is update it.

Annoyingly, my phone is saying it doesn't have enough space to download the update directly anyway, despite showing having plenty of spare space! :evil:

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

David, have you ever synced the phone with iTunes? Do that and make sure it is set to copy across apps purchased on the phone (I thought that was the default but it could be turned off). Then it'll show in iTunes as an app, and it'll allow you to update.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Jobbo said...

David, have you ever synced the phone with iTunes? Do that and make sure it is set to copy across apps purchased on the phone (I thought that was the default but it could be turned off). Then it'll show in iTunes as an app, and it'll allow you to update.

Yeah I sync it occasionally and did so yesterday to try exactly what you (and Apple) suggested, but on the iTunes App manager, I can see TomTom, but nowhere does it tell you that it has an updated version available or how to update it, only to "purchase" it at £54.99!

On the phone, that is sort of how you update it, i.e. by pressing "install" and it updates it, but I don't want to risk paying another £55 for something I already paid for!

Updated November 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

All your other apps are in the iTunes app manager? Weird; maybe try downloading a new free one on your phone, syncing, and see if it appears in iTunes.

I have found that stuff doesn't copy across to iTunes when I sync sometimes unless I manually sync again after the auto-sync when I first connect.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

hoyleyboyley said...

tune up?

its an add on - finds missing artwork and sorts duplicates for you.

Yeah, I saw that but they want $50 (or $40 for a 1 year licence) for it and I'll probably only ever use it once plus I wasn't sure if it was any good or not i.e. I was hoping to find someone with real world experience of something.

--

Jobbo said...

Jobbo said...

All your other apps are in the iTunes app manager? Weird; maybe try downloading a new free one on your phone, syncing, and see if it appears in iTunes.

I have found that stuff doesn't copy across to iTunes when I sync sometimes unless I manually sync again after the auto-sync when I first connect.

The app was there, I just couldn't see an update button, but I've just noticed a "search for updates" button at the bottom of the app listing page, so done! Will sync it up once it's downloaded.

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Bumped back to the top in case someone can answer my question and not the thread hijackers question :roll:

--

Jobbo said...

NotoriousREV said...

Are there any good, preferably free apps on Mac that can clean up my music collection after iTunes has borked it then re-import it into iTunes?

I've ended up with several thousand duplicates thanks to the way iTunes has tried to organise my folders after copying them from other PCs. e.g. BumCop by Crazy Penis is in a "Crazy Penis" folder, a "Ministry of Sound Presents Chilled Sessions" folder a "Ministry of Sounds Presents Chilled Sess" folder and another folder that seems identical to another folder but somehow isn't.

F*cking iTunes!

Although, just to be clear, I want to pull my stuff out of iTunes, clean it up then stick it back in (requote at will). I don't want to move away from using iTunes normally.

I havent found a way to clean it up - but I have found by selecting the "duplicates that are not " together and right clicking --> get info --> then make them part of the same collection works ..

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

Incidentally itunes 11 has just dropped ..

--

andybond said...

NotoriousREV said...

F*cking iTunes!

I havent found a way to clean it up - but I have found by selecting the "duplicates that are not " together and right clicking --> get info --> then make them part of the same collection works ..

A quick way is to copy all your music to another folder, delete the library then copy your music back.

Problem is I do have a couple of thousand actual duplicates. I think I'll have to buy Tuneup.

--

Jobbo said...

My brother-in-law asked me to do a similar thing a few months back.

He'd been using iTunes for a couple of years and everything was a complete mess - dupes, odd tracks here and there, missing/wrong/incomplete tags, missing/wrong album art etc.

I spent a bit of time on it, then just gave up.

There's no easy way around this apart from taking the time to make sure all the tags, art, folder/file names etc are correct up-front (when you rip/download/import).

Sorry...

David_Yu said...

ilmostro said...

Can't find an update button anywhere on iTunes. You can "buy" it, but I don't want to risk buying it again when all I want to do is update it.

Annoyingly, my phone is saying it doesn't have enough space to download the update directly anyway, despite showing having plenty of spare space! :evil:

DELETE ALL SAT NAV APPS - else your ass will be raped by this forum!

--

Waiting for the Technological Singularity.

Try copytrans.

Just dont install iTunes11 before - its too new ..

--

I used Itunes Library Updater this before I realised iToonz is shyte and went with WinAmp.

Product is old and hasn't been updated for a long time, but it worked with the last version of iTunes I used (8-something?).

Freeware so nothing lost by trying.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

andybond said...

Incidentally itunes 11 has just dropped ..

Just updated this without really looking at the fact it was a whole new generation...

Me no likey change. :(

--

The thrill of two litre diesels???

Tune Up is pretty popular. There are a couple of cheaper alternatives as well if you do a Google.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular