Forums > Moaning forum > Salary: Competitive

SALARY: COMPETITIVE
Previous | 12 | Next

Why not just write down how much it actually is you tw@ts?
Of course I don't care about money, I just really like your firm ;) :roll:

--

How about not having a sig at all?

I think it usually translates to "shit"

It's only the financial sector that says that. The law firms don't. Realised that I can still apply to a big ass bank and (in my day dream) get minted like Will Smith in the pursuit of happyness :oops:

--

every sector does that. it's namby pamby pr bs.

if the advertised job is worth having, and worth paying for, advertise it properly, and you'll get candidates worth interviewing/hiring.

i thought that was a simple thought process, but apparently not.:/

Salary: Competitive = Salary: The minimum amount we think you'll accept (to be ascertained in the interview) + £1

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Much like my hate of "POA" - price judged on the size of your wallet.

Here's how it works, Sales:

If a f*cking rockstar turns up to the interview and bowls everyone over, he can pretty much name his price.

If an inconsequential turd turns up, they pay you the lowest they can get away with and figure you can do the Starbucks run and all the other crap no one wants then put your name down first if they ever have a round of redundancies.

I've subtly indicated in the text above which category you fit into.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

Or else it's for them to ask you what you expect to be paid. Clever move in an interview, especially if there are a lot in for it, as you don't want to make yourself out as too expensive or too cocky

Alan said...

Or else it's for them to ask you what you expect to be paid. Clever move in an interview, especially if there are a lot in for it, as you don't want to make yourself out as too expensive or too cocky

If they ask you this, Sales, the answer is £1000 per day. No more, no less.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

Salary competitive... You have to fight for it8)

--

Definition of an optimist… "A person who thinks he can just afford to run a second-hand Aston Martin"

NotoriousREV said...

Alan said...

If they ask you this, Sales, the answer is £1000 per day. No more, no less.

:lol:
I'll ask for minimum wage with a £500,000 lump sum bonus just before Christmas :lol:

--

It's a law firm - they offer you the job 2 years in advance and will pay exactly the same as every other firm in the area at the point at which you start, but they're not committing to a figure.

Don't think of this as a bad thing. My salary went up nearly 10% after I'd accepted the offer but before I started at Linklaters. And the time gap was a couple of months, not a couple of years.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

I just started applying to Linklaters. In reality I'm tired of all this (with all the talk about how difficult it is to get accepted, especially in this ECONOMIC CLIMATE...) and just want to get a training contract in London with a firm that isn't crap. As you said they all offer the roughly the same wage. That way I can actually be at ease about my future for the next 4 years.

The bastards do seem to prefer taking older graduates who did any random subject apart from law...

--

You have to go through the same process with pretty much all the firms; you do improve your chances if you go on a vacation scheme though.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Yeah, looking at that, lots of the firms ask you if you are applying for a TC or summer placement or both so I just tick the both box.
In most places if you do a summer placement then you immidiately have an interview afterwards for your training contract to save you doing the process all over. That would be the ideal + they would then fund part of the LPC.

The video for the summer placement on Linklater just shows you buddying up, going to the pub, posh restaurants and playing softball :lol: I'm sure the reality is far from it and that it's a load of marking rubbish...

--

Salary: competitive = sh!t. And if they think they can find an excuse for knocking the wage down (ie you don't know the company and aren't already doing the role) then they can pay you bottom dollar.

I'd just avoid it, if they were really in need of some good doing that specific role then they'd shove a proper salary on there aimed at the people they want to hire.

I guess they can justify it by saying that they're low because they are training you in the process. Still sh1t though. click

--

Jobbo said...

It's a law firm - they offer you the job 2 years in advance and will pay exactly the same as every other firm in the area at the point at which you start, but they're not committing to a figure.

Don't think of this as a bad thing. My salary went up nearly 10% after I'd accepted the offer but before I started at Linklaters. And the time gap was a couple of months, not a couple of years.

Do the Law Society in England not set a minimum recommended wage for 1st and 2nd year trainees? Law Society of Scotland do, resulting in 95% of firms offering the exact same wage.

Take what you can get, Sales and just hope you get kept on.

--

"Drink, drugs and driving a black Porsche Carrera what a big brave man he is, also a father and husband, HOW SO VERY SCARY!!!!!!!"

Maurice said...

Jobbo said...

Do the Law Society in England not set a minimum recommended wage for 1st and 2nd year trainees? Law Society of Scotland do, resulting in 95% of firms offering the exact same wage.

Take what you can get, Sales and just hope you get kept on.

Legal firms are no longer obliged to offer trainees an SRA-determined minimum salary as of 1st Aug 2014 :(
THey need only pay national minimum wage of £6.08 per hour or around £11k PA before tax.

Even more of a reason to get a contract secured early before salaries dive :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Updated November 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM

--

Frankly if I was asked what rèmuneration I was hoping to achieve in a interview for what is effectively a training course you need, I would get my best arse kissing suit on and say "for this opportunity, with this company, i'd do it for nothing sir"

You know they've got to pay you and they'll pay you what everyone else gets, but getting it is the trick.

Good luck bulb :)

Updated November 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular