Forums > General > OT/ Rooting a Samsung GS2 (FAO Pugs/Beany?)

OT/ ROOTING A SAMSUNG GS2 (FAO PUGS/BEANY?)
Previous | 1 | Next

As per thread title I want to root my SGS2. I know it's been discussed before but I can't find the darned thread.

Could anyone tell me the best way of rooting it? I haven't done it before so I'm a bit worried about bricking it :?

uchoob seems to have plenty of tutorials?

Have you looked on XDA Developers?

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 320d MSport

This is a sexual perversion too far. I'm not surprised that beany roots his phone though...;)

--

Cheers

Rich

Mark BT52 said...

Have you looked on XDA Developers?

And modaco is useful

I'm a bit dubious of the Youtoobe stuff, I'd rather have some advise from some blokes on the internet ;)

Cheers guys, will check those sites now and find a guide. I completely forgot about XDA :oops:

Updated November 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Depends what ROM you want to put on it. The CyanogenMod site was very useful with all kinds of tips and information.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

What do you want to root it for?

Here's the easiest way to do an S2. XDA Devs

If you want to root it for installing custom ROMs etc, try this - Also XDA Devs

Cheers for that 8) At the moment the phone has a silly amount of bloatware on it. I actually have a folder that I've put it all in.

When I was having a go on my mate's Galaxy Nexus, the OS is just so much better without Samsung and Vodafone pissing about with it first. I think it was Jellybean 4.1 or 4.2 and it was great.

What would I need to do to get a similar experience? I think Pugrallye uses the CyanogenMod with a Jellybean ROM?

Updated November 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM

My S2 is rooted and running cyanogen mod 10 (jellybean) - apart from a well documented media scanning problem it has been flawless under this rom.

You'll want to install and run warning triangle remover after installing the custom rom (the samsung firmware detects a custom rom and puts a yellow warning triangle on the boot screen to let your phone network know you've been naughty and doing things with your phone that they don't want you to!)

--

New exhaust valves and pipework fitted

Sponsor me here - http://www.justgiving.com/teacherboy

Ta. How easy was it to install? I'm just scared of bricking it!

Alex88 said...

Ta. How easy was it to install? I'm just scared of bricking it!

Basically, it's pretty simple.

There's a Windows programme called Odin that you'll use.

You'll also need to check what "baseband" your phone is running (Settings/About phone/Baseband version).

If you google for "odin <last 5 chars of baseband>" you should find everything you need - i.e. Odin plus a rooted baseband.

The process is pretty simple - connect phone to PC (making sure you have the correct drivers installed), put the phone into "download mode" (google it). You then use Odin to install the rooted baseband. This will root your phone and install Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.

Once you have CWM/root, you'll easily be able to download and install other ROMs using something ROM Manager (google play).

Don't forget to backup current ROM before installing a new one though! :)

When it comes to ROMs, there's an "official" CM100 version, but I don't rate it as highly as this one - it's smoother, faster and gives better battery life. The XDA thread is here

Once installed, you'll be amazed - I promise. It'll make your phone seem brand new - and the very stripped down, "pure" version of Android is so much nicer than Samsung's IMO.

This may all sound pretty complicated, but I promise it's not - even I could do it and I'm not in the least technical when it comes to phones.

In case you're interested, I'm running the latest build of that ROM I linked to (20121127) with the accompanying v4 version of the Siyah kernel - a great combination IMO.

Any questions, just shout...

I've not rooted an SGSII, but the HTC isn't too bad.

XDA Devs or the CM site are where I'd start too in your shoes.

IIRC from doing my old Galaxy Portal, there are three stages:
Install 'insecure'/root access granting kernel (edit - Pugs is correct, it's actually the baseband you are modding - do a mental find/replace for the rest of this post, too lazy to DIY ;) )
Install Recovery/Mod application
Use RecoveryMod application to format the onboard storage and write the new OS to the device.

Install an 'insecure' kernel
One that allows the user to perform root operations. Such as formatting the internal storage, etc. This is the complicated part that requires allowing USB debugging on the phone, having KIES (for driver support of Debug mode) installed, and using Odin to push the new kernel to the handset. That's a bit in depth, but once you get your head around what it's doing, it makes sense.

Recovery/Mod Program
Once you have pushed the new kernel in, you can install a recovery mod program such as ClockworkMod, or similar. These are available from the Play Store. Use whichever one your guide of choice recommends. Often it's just the developers personal preference, sometimes there's a reason for it. Don't try to be clever....!

Download your modded image (Cyanogenmod etc) of choice and place it into the root of the SD card/storage or wherever the recovery app tells you it wants it.

Format C:, SETUP.EXE ;)
You get a reboot menu called ClockworkMod recovery when you try to power off the phone - "Shutdown, reboot, reboot into Recovery" - which boots you into a separate, very minimal OS, which because you rooted it with the new kernel, has rights to wipe the storage and OS - which the 'secure' kernel does not let you.

You choose to install a ROM from a Zip, point it at your ROM of choice in your storage device on the phone, and it unpacks it, and writes it to the phone. It should then do something common sense like reboot into the new build. First time boots take a while - give it around 10 mins before giving up and starting again ;)

Those are the basic concepts - the root, the recovery mod, and the OS install - there are minor details such as getting a program that allows you grant SuperUser rights (think UAC on windows - are you sure you wish to allow this app system level rights, etc) which sometimes come into play, again, depending on the guide you use. Certainly, after you have rooted it, any application that lets you, say, override the CPU governer from the factory default - so you can set the minimum and max CPU speed to below and above what the factory recommend for power efficiency - then it'll require SuperUser access. Without root access, you just can't do that.

The Samsungs have always been a touch trickier to root, but it's well worth doing it, especially as you point out, to get rid of the crapware that comes with operator subsidised phones.

Currently running a CM9 port for the HTC Saga (AKA Desire S) which is pretty much feature complete, runs perfectly well (very smooth most of the time, but lack of RAM makes it bog down a bit after a while due to background tasks) but it's stable as you like, and has 'hard crashed' perhaps twice in a year and a half....

Updated November 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM

The Samsungs have always been a touch trickier to root

I would disagree with this - my old HTC Desire was a PITA to root. The GS2 was a doddle - Odin is all point and click and it took literally minutes.

As I said, I'm not skilled in this at all, but I rooted my GS2 within about 3 hours of buying it - and never looked back.

A few months back, I did have a panic - my phone just turned off and wouldn't come back on at all. I got home, put the phone into download mode, fired up Odin and re-installed a rooted baseband and I was away again.

That's about the only problem I've had since.

It's something I'd totally recommend as the ROM I suggested is so smooth, fast, light (no bloat at all) and clean-looking compared with the standard ROMs.

I downloaded and installed Samsung's own Jelly Bean ROM the other day and the crazy thing is, these ROMs that are just built for fun and free of charge are WAY better than the official version from the manufacturer.

I think the difference is for the HTC I did it from Linux - no driver issues, or anything - it just emulates a serial terminal natively (benefit of android/linux kernel dev shared input), and pushes the stuff over with ADB, the android debug bridge.

Put phone in download mode, run script, phone rooted - none of this driver installing malarky. Although even that's not too tricky.

Much appreciated chaps 8) I'll get this done on Saturday and will let you know what happens..

I rooted my HTC Desire a few months ago and it was pretty painless. I'm getting far better battery consumption too. I was going to upgrade, now I'm not sure I'll bother.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular