Forums > Geeks corner > Samsung Galaxy

SAMSUNG GALAXY
Previous | 12 | Next

Anyone got one?

I am looking at an S3 to replace the iphone with. Certainly looks like you get a lot for your money but is there anything to look out for/ignore/must get with the phone?

--

Bunta's Tofu

I have got the galaxy ace ( the cheaper one) and i think its ace funnily enough

Updated November 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I've had a play with a couple of S3's and spoken to their owners and each one has been overjoyed with their purchase.

I'm bored sh1tless of iPhones having been an early adopter of Gen1 all the way through to the 4S.

I want something different but can't decide what. This sums up how I feel now.

Looking at the Lumia 920......

I've had a S3 for about a month and its great out of the box, i haven't even altered the browser.

I've got an S2 and it's brilliant as well. Feels a bit flimsy compared to my old brick of a HTC but technically it's pretty much perfect.

--

I often drive for a road travel

Samsung Galaxy - a family of approximately 70 devices.

The S3 is a really nice handset. A little large though, but all the high end stuff is.

The HTC One X is a higher spec device, for about the same money, although Samsung seem to be really on it with regards to Android updates etc.

The Nexus 4 shouldn't be ignored. Especailly if you want to buy just the handset. The £239 price tag makes it very appealing.

iPhone 5 is great, but i think iOS is starting to get left behind a bit? It's just very samey.

The Nokia 820 and 920 look great. The 920 is currently exclusive to EE i believe, but you can get the 820 anywhere. I've been massivly impressed with Windows Phone 7/7.5 and 8 looks brilliant too. Only downside is that you dont get as many apps. Think banking apps, SONOS app etc...

Bunta said...

Anyone got one?

I am looking at an S3 to replace the iphone with. Certainly looks like you get a lot for your money but is there anything to look out for/ignore/must get with the phone?

I use one almost everyday but not for phoning, texting, internet, FB-ing, taking pictures. :lol:

If you're going Android, I'd go for either the S3 or One X+. Personally I prefer the One X as I simply prefer HTC's layout over Samsung's.

I really need to have a go of a Nexus 4 and Lumia 920. They're currently the only contenders. For some reason I just don't like the S3. I think it's a combination of being massive and IME made out of crappy materials.

The iPhone 5 is just too boring, too accomplished and with no real standout features.

Must get down to a phone store soon - they're always experiences to treasure :lol:

GK1985 said...

I really need to have a go of a Nexus 4 and Lumia 920. They're currently the only contenders. For some reason I just don't like the S3. I think it's a combination of being massive and IME made out of crappy materials.

The iPhone 5 is just too boring, too accomplished and with no real standout features.

Must get down to a phone store soon - they're always experiences to treasure :lol:

Really? My S2 is made out of the same kind of plastic and yes it doesn't feel expensive but it's certainly worn very well. Minimal scratches and no damage despite a few drops that would have shattered my old iPhone.

Got the S3 for a few months now - it seems pretty good, and is not that big actually.
I may not be very demanding though, since my previous phone was very low end (HTC snap windows phone).
Apparently the Nexus 4 looks like very good value for money; main drawback I see is that its memory cannot be extended as it doesn't support memory cards.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Nexus 4 is always sold out on the Play Store.

The iphone5 has actually an outstanding feature as its maps application is apparently a valuable source of fun.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Alex88 said...

GK1985 said...

Really? My S2 is made out of the same kind of plastic and yes it doesn't feel expensive but it's certainly worn very well. Minimal scratches and no damage despite a few drops that would have shattered my old iPhone.

Aye, it'll probably outlast an iPhone, but it just doesn't feel like £500 worth of phone.

The Nexus is sold out which isn't ideal! Also the Verge said that the back is extremely vulnerable to cracking. I think their test unit they had cracked after one drop :!:

The maps thing is amusing. They had to change it but they did goof it up in a big way.

Bunta said...

Anyone got one?

I've had my Galaxy S3 since mid October and really love it; the screen is awesome and the camera takes truly great pics. Apps like Camera360 and Photo Editor work wonders, too.

I'd recommend getting a micro SD card to complement the phone's 16gb internal memory. I bought a 16gb card and I think it was under £15.

The only two disappointments are the predictive texting – my old htc Desire was way more intuitive. And my S3 has now stopped recharging at the mains, meaning I have to recharge it through a PC or Mac. This is a common problem apparently. Needless to say I will be sending my phone back to O2 asap. I'd still recommend the S3, though!

I've just ditched the iphone 4 and bought a Galaxy Note 2 which is sat at home awaiting my return.

2GB Ram, 1.6ghz processor, a Mali 400 MP4 graphics chip (whatever the fook that is), 5.5" screen and an S pen/stylus so what's not to like. I've not even used it and I already know that it'll be great.

I'm all excited :oops:

McSwede said...

I've just ditched the iphone 4 and bought a Galaxy Note 2 which is sat at home awaiting my return.

2GB Ram, 1.6ghz processor, a Mali 400 MP4 graphics chip (whatever the fook that is), 5.5" screen and an S pen/stylus so what's not to like. I've not even used it and I already know that it'll be great.

Nowt wrong with that!

The Note is for people who don't like to fvck around when it comes to mobile phones! Not sure I could get used to having something that big in my pants though :lol:

McSwede said...

It's a big old Hector though.

I got fed up of not being able to decide what new phone to get so just thought "f*ck it" and ordered the Note 2 without even having a faff with one.

I walked in an O2 shop on Saturday to have a quick peep whilst awaiting delivery and couldn't believe how massive it looked compared to my iphone4. Fortunately I have been blessed with a massive head and reasonably large hands so the phablet should be a good fit.

GK1985 said...

McSwede said...

Nowt wrong with that!

The Note is for people who don't like to fvck around when it comes to mobile phones! Not sure I could get used to having something that big in my pants though :lol:

I'm used to having something that big in my pants 8)

Well, not really.

My plan is:
Nexus 4, put personal SIM in, use that till personal contract rollover time.

Personal contract - get Note 2 for, er, notetaking ability - I've got a crap short term memory, mixed with constantly having five or six jobs/projects on the go means that the ability to write on it alone has pretty much sold me on it.

Then I'll probably use the Nexus as my works handset and see if work will let me claim back the difference between subsidised and SIM-only contract via petty cash. Hell, even if they don't it'll be a load better than my current works steed - a Wildfire S.

FWIW, in terms of build/durability, the high end plastic handsets from HTC/Samsung/Motorola might not feel as high quality as an iPhone, but I've not heard anyone complain about 'em for real. Likewise, the Nexus 4 appears to be no more vulnerable to droppage than any other metal/glass phone - it depends entirely on how you drop it :lol:

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular