Forums > General > Working from home??

WORKING FROM HOME??
Previous | 123 | Next

Serious question coming.

At the moment I am a full time Dad during the week and work Friday, Saturday and Sunday nightshift. This is not the ideal as I cannot get used to the nightshifts and come better weather means we cannot go away camping at weekends.

I am at the PC a few hours every day (as you may have noticed from my inane ramblings)

Surely I must be able to make a living, or at least some extra cash doing customer service for some company or similar.

Anyone got any ideas on this please?

Cheers

Gavin

According to my gmail spam folder I am eagerly offering myself plenty of opportunity to make hundreds of euros an hour doing data entry...

I'm sure there is a way for you to make money working from home - but I think you are better off starting with an idea for a service you can offer.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Be realistic about what you can actually do while working from home - if you need to look after a baby then you've got to neglect the work and vice versa.

I thought my garden would look great after working from home for a year but in reality I have no more time to work on it than when I commuted to an office.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Daddydadbo said...

At the moment I am a full time Dad.

Surely I must be able to make a living.

No. Just enjoy all the time you have with your kid(s), they won't be that small for long. </mumsnet>

Updated November 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM

The Wife the main breadwinner then ?

Working from home by yourself is great. Looking after kids and work at the same time must be a nightmare.

Daddydadbo said...

At the moment I am a full time Dad during the week and work Friday, Saturday and Sunday nightshift.
Gavin

Is this a coming out thread?

At the moment I am a full time Dad during the week and work Friday, Saturday and Sunday nightshift.
Gavin

You must be f**cked, sounds like a nightmare :shock:

Mate of mine works six full days every week and looks after the kids on Sunday..so the mrs can have a break...

My neighbour works 7-7pm and then has to cook dinner when he gets home..because she's tired.

Loads more horror stories like that, sadly.

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

Working from home by yourself is great.

For short periods, a week or two, I'd agree. Long term, no.

Horror stories? Don't have kids.

Evostick said...

Mate of mine works six full days every week and looks after the kids on Sunday..so the mrs can have a break...

Does she then go to work on Sunday ?

Conversation with MrsREV on Sunday:

MrsREV (sharply): "I need you to get off your arse and help me tidy the kitchen and hoover the living room"

Me: "No"

Her: "Why not?"

Me: "'cos I work 40 hours a week plus another 15 of driving, I cooked yesterday, I spent this morning assembling toys for the kids and sorting out Minecraft so the eldest would stop whinging, I don't have any clean underwear or socks because you haven't put a load on all week and the F1 is starting"

Then she got in a sulk about something but I don't really know what.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

exiges said...

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

Working from home by yourself is great.

For short periods, a week or two, I'd agree. Long term, no.

I work from home most days and have done for 11 years. Its not a problem as long as you go out and see clients. If you are stuck there all day and night then yes its an issue.

no. she goes shopping or summat :?

I know someone with 12 week old twins who has a nightnanny come in twice a week during the evening / night just so the parents can get some sleep, the mother doesn't even work and even had the luxury of the nightnanny staying till mid morning so that she can shower, do her hair and make-up in peace.

God knows what they are going to do when they are mobile and they are trying to put their fingers in the plug sockets and bashing the TV with a frying pan.

I tend to do the cooking in our house, not because the Wife is lazy but I like cooking, glass of wine in hand and the kids in bed I find it's a good way to wind down.

Updated November 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Our youngest is 4 months now. He's a pretty good sleeper. Not quite as good as me though :)

My youngest Sam is still a pain and he is 18 mths old,then again he still has the comfort of my Wives lovely boobs, Ben sleeps for 12 hours without waking :D It's hard work sometimes, but that's kids for you, it ain't a walk in the park.

My Mum used to work part time in the morning and yet we had an immaculate house which was cleaned daily, the dinner was on the table when we came home from school and when the old man came home two hours later. Clothes always ironed and put away. Not like that now is it. :)

_Mick_N said...

We had an immaculate house which was cleaned daily, the dinner was on the table when we came home from school and when the old man came home two hours later. Clothes always ironed and put away. Not like that now is it. :)

To be fair, despite her innumerable faults, my missus is good around the house, place is always spotless, does all the cleaning/ironing, dinner is always cooked for me from fresh ingredients.

I've often wondered though, when whoever is at home (not being sexist here) does the ironing, cooking, there's an expectation that you say thanks, but you go to work and bust your balls all day and you don't get so much as an acknowledgement of your effort.

NotoriousREV said...

Conversation with MrsREV on Sunday:

MrsREV (sharply): "I need you to get off your arse and help me tidy the kitchen and hoover the living room"

Me: "No"

Her: "Why not?"

Me: "'cos I work 40 hours a week plus another 15 of driving, I cooked yesterday, I spent this morning assembling toys for the kids and sorting out Minecraft so the eldest would stop whinging, I don't have any clean underwear or socks because you haven't put a load on all week and the F1 is starting"

Then she got in a sulk about something but I don't really know what.

Likewise, we had a major bust-up the other night when the missus had to bath the kids by herself. This after I'd spent the whole weekend boarding out the rear loft to create storage, not an easy job on your tod. I was vacuuming up all the nasty wooden splinters from outside the kids rooms/bathroom so they wouldn't do themselves in any harm, while said bath was going on... I think my angry vein may have throbbed a little.

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular