Forums > General > Richard Burns 17.01.71 - 25.11.05

RICHARD BURNS 17.01.71 - 25.11.05
Previous | 12 | Next

Seven years ago :(

'On Sunday, November 25, Burns' third place finish behind Peugeot duo Gronholm and Harri Rovanpera enabled him to become the first Englishman to win the World Rally Championship. When Richard passed the finishing line at the final stage of the final rally in 2001, Burns uttered words thought to be paying tribute to his codriver Robert Reid: "You're the best in the world". To commemorate the title success, Subaru produced a special edition of the Subaru Impreza in the UK called the RB5.'

'Late on Friday, November 25, 2005, four years to the day after winning the World Rally Championship, Burns died in Westminster, London, aged 34, after having been in a coma for some days as a result of a brain tumour.'

:(

Top Gear tribute

sp

--

Dragons must be sad on their birthdays.

Wow. Really 7 years? :shock:

I was genuinely upset at his passing. RIP Richard.

Can't believe its 7 years ago. :(

RIP Richard. Still missed.

Updated November 26, 2012 at 5:41 AM

--

Xbox & PS3 tag: daveycG60

7 years has gone way to quick.

That time takes me back to wanting an RB5 and when scoobys and evos were fighting it out not only in rallies but on the streets and in the show rooms.

The fact that in this months EVO it's said that Subaru have sold just 250 this year instead of nearly 3500 back in early 2004 ish is a sad thing to me.

RIP Richard. :cry:

Updated November 26, 2012 at 6:49 AM

--

For sure

Very sad to be reminded of this, and of how fast time goes by.

As an aside - my memory is failing as I thought the RB5 was a Prodrive special; was it actually a factory model?

The RB5 was also released earlier than 2001 as the bug eye model was on sale by then.
The RB 320 several years later was the proper RB tribute car.

Time passes by so quickly. Great man from a great era of rallying

Think the RB5 came out on a T plate IIRC

RB320 were out in 2008?

Updated November 26, 2012 at 7:33 AM

--

For sure

2006 from a quick Google.

Updated November 26, 2012 at 7:42 AM

JL said...

2006 from a quick Google.

:shock: time does fly

--

For sure

it is strange how your memory plays tricks, was Colin McRea's accident before or after this. I am pretty sure it was after.

RIP Richard

I loved the era when Burns and McRae were fighting it out with the best in the world.

I'm going to be 34 in just over a years time. He had his life cut short, didn't he? :?

What disappointed me the most about this was that George Best died the same day and the papers were full of garbage about the pathetic idiot that drunk himself to death and almost nothing about our last World Champion.

--

Done.

Dan +1. I was raging that hardly any of the news rags recognised Richards passing and concentrated on somebody simply threw his life in the garbage.

Top Gear tribute to Burns - RIP:cry: Click

--

Tree Trunks, I'm all jacked up because of you. Look at my jacked up face!

Dan said...

What disappointed me the most about this was that George Best died the same day and the papers were full of garbage about the pathetic idiot that drunk himself to death and almost nothing about our last World Champion.

Minority sport compared to football, even back then. Even more so now.

RIP RB.

RIP WRC.

:cry:

Time goes by too quickly. Wearing my RB Foundation orange T-shirt today.

RIP :(

mik said...

I was genuinely upset at his passing. RIP Richard.

Same here, especially as it seemed he'd got the better of it for a while :(

I seem to remember him passing out at the wheel of his 996 Turbo on the way to a rally a few years previously.

--

This ^

This whole thread x 111111

27Gilles said...

Top Gear tribute to Burns - RIP:cry: Click

I remember watching that; it was nicely done by Top Gear.

--

Kintegra y0!

RIP - he will be remembered forever.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

--

Tree Trunks, I'm all jacked up because of you. Look at my jacked up face!

^ what a pic

--

For sure

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular