Forums > General > Forum trading dispute, would you accept this?

FORUM TRADING DISPUTE, WOULD YOU ACCEPT THIS?
Previous | 12 | Next

Trying to garner some opinion here.

About 10 days ago I saw a part of the for sale section of another forum I use (Bikes and parts) that I needed so I responded asking to buy.
The part was a bike wheel hub which was described as for parts only as the axle was ceased. However the part (the freehub body) I needed is separate to this so I asked if it was OK and the response came back from the seller say 'yes, it seems good' so I paid (about $25 via paypal goods) and waited.
When it arrived I checked the part I needed and it was partially ceased, not clicking like a freewheel should and not engaging on the drive correctly so it slipped, obviously this was not 'good'. I doubt he even checked it and just chucked it in a box thinking he'd done well to palm off some crap for $15.
I was a bit pissed but I thought I may be able to save it as quite often the grease dries out causing these symptoms. So I took it off the hub (using the correct tools and procedures) and flushed the bearings out with cleaner (having bought some special spray to relube it) only to find out that the bearings appear to have broken up inside and it sounds like a maraca.
When questioned over this the seller said it was only parts, that he gave no guarantees over condition, it worked fine the last time he used it and he wasn't going to do anything about it (at the time he thought I had broken forum rules and paid by non-protected paypal gift).
So I started a dispute on paypal feeling that I had bought something where I was told the part I needed was good and it was junk.
I got another PM from the seller saying that paypal complaints are not for used goods only new and that I would got nowhere (I think this is utter crap). However on the case on paypal he has offered a partial refund of $10 which is basically the postage costs saying it was fine.
I am in two minds as I think I have a good case for a full refund. I asked specifically about the part I needed and was told it seemed good I would obviously not bought it if he had said 'sorry, it doesn't turn well and doesn't engage properly.'.
If I escalate to a claim and let paypal decide I may get nothing if he is correct that it's not for used parts and they believe that I broke it or something (I wouldn't bet on him not making something like this up as he already lied about the condition).
On my side I do have the PM's where the part was described as good and I have a video of the part rattling when shaken (which it shouldn't).
So what would you do, take the partial refund or chance it and go for the lot on principle (as he's already partially conceded)?

Carl.

All this grief for $25? :lol:

Seriously, fight it and let Paypal decide. One thing I've learnt is never buy used stuff from people on forums.

I think you will find as a buyer you have the upper hand with PayPal and the money will be taken out of his account faster than he can blink.

p7ulg said...

I think you will find as a buyer you have the upper hand with PayPal and the money will be taken out of his account faster than he can blink.

This

$25 is what, £14.50? Live and learn, do your research on the seller. Anyone half decent on a forum would have bought it back from you.

p7ulg said...

Yep

In fact if you have already lodged the complaint with PayPal the money will be out of his account and being held by them. He has probably offered you the part refund so that they will release the remainder to him.

AFAIK PayPal sides with the buyer about 99% of the time, so despite the amount of money involved I would take this route just for the principle of the matter.

Cheers, Rich

--

Mito Man said...

It's what happens when you use the grinder app chaps

Jesus wept guys how little is your time worth?! :lol:

We've got Mik going to the High Courts over a 30 quid traffic fine and now this escalation to a nuclear exchange for just under half Mik's fine.

Life is not always perfect, suck it up and move on.

JL said...

We've got Mik going to the High Courts over a 30 quid traffic fine and now this escalation to a nuclear exchange for just under half Mik's fine.

:D JLIC

I'm all for principles and doing the right thing, but for that amount I would have just put it down to experience.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

JL said...

I've managed to secure a top lawyer - (like Marv) they charge £300 an hour, but I'm pretty sure this will improve my chances.

I'm not going to devote any more time or worry to this as yes, it's really not worth it.

So will let paypal decide now.

Carl.

JL said...

I love this. Given the amount of time we all waste on here & other sites earning nothing, you guys are giving Carlos grief over spending 25 mins of his time in getting his money back.

L and indeed, OL :lol:

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

A truly Mick-worthy drawing of parallels there Gareth, well done 8)

Wasting time on here passes the time in a (normally) enjoyable way - getting stuck into the netherworld of wanky ebay sellers and Paypal refunds is not.

Well, at least not for me. Your Mileage May Vary.

As per Mik's thread, if this happened to JL he'd be on here whinging like a little girl and planning a suicide pact with his cats. Don't listen to him!

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

Well, no I wouldn't because I wouldn't buy something like that secondhand in the first place, thus neatly sidestepping the whole sticky issue :lol:

Updated November 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM

JL said...

Well, no I wouldn't because I wouldn't buy something like that secondhand in the first place, thus neatly sidestepping the whole sticky issue in the first place :lol:

But you may have to buy a used part for your boat though?

Carl.

Nope, not if I can help it, unless it's something like a whole engine or gearbox, approx. 15k and 4k respectively. Come on mate, seriously - you took a risk, it didn't pay off, hey ho and on we go.

Updated November 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Just so we're clear, you're right to pursue this in principle but I wouldn't be able to tally the time spent on the money I get back. But then I'm lazy and stupid.

So far I have spent about half an hour in PM's to the seller and my complaint to paypal.
Problem with this part is they have been out of production for about 15 years and new ones are rare and until the weekend I though extremely expensive. I have found a new one for £40 so will just get that now.

Carl.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular