Forums > Moaning forum > Pluvial flooding

PLUVIAL FLOODING
Previous | 12345 | Next

As opposed to fluvial, that is. Plenty of people in Warwickshire who live near rivers are suffering, and they have my sympathy, but river levels rising is something which can be anticipated.

This morning I came downstairs to tread in a marshy carpet. Thinking the cat had missed the litter tray at first, after trying to turn on the light I realised the house was full of water. The tide mark was well over 6" high in places though there was only a couple of inches left lying in and on the carpet.

Typical that the house was how I like it and now I've got to find similarly nice carpet, sofa etc, and don't yet know whether my other furniture and stereo etc is going to be written off. Insurance is a wonderful thing (well, it is until I renew it next August and baulk at the premium). But I don't live by a river, or anywhere near; this was just a flash flood caused by heavy rain combined with sodden ground and not something you could anticipate. Almost wish I'd been awake to see it and perhaps rescue my stuff, but more to know how it happened.

Bugger, sorry to hear that. Is there anything you can do to stop it happening again?

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

IaFG Supercharged Muppet Division

:(

Bad news

I had a bit of water in the garage due to the soakway not being able to cope with the volume of water flowing down the driveway. I've spent much of the afternoon chiseling a chanel in the concrete outside the garage door as a secondary escape route for the water.

--

http://retrotekracing.co.uk

If you can salvage the stuff/repaint the walls from any left over paint you might get away with just replacing a few items and a carpet. Might be enough to prevent a massive hike in the premiums.

Failing that, move house. It'll only get worse over time.

I suspect sealing the front door might prevent it happening again - it's just for show now anyway so I could potentially fix it shut and waterproof the aperture.

As for just replacing the carpet; not a chance:

Ouch.

I'm not moving house anyway :)

Disaster. Hope you get it sorted for your self imposed deadline.

:D

--

"Drink, drugs and driving a black Porsche Carrera what a big brave man he is, also a father and husband, HOW SO VERY SCARY!!!!!!!"

Ouch. So did the water come in through the doors or the floor?

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Jeez ! Not good, hope you get it sorted. Its hard to plan for things like that.

The river crossing our land burst its banks again last night. The missus told me to look out the window this morning, I was expecting to see the water level slightly higher, but about an acre of garden had disappeared. It subsided by noon, but I'm not too keen on more rain coming tonight/tomorrow with the ground already saturated.

Updated November 25, 2012 at 10:44 PM

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

How deep did it get in the house? Where did it come from?

--

Strong Broo Racing

Definitely came under the front door, possibly also through the wall. I still struggle to understand how even prolonged heavy rain can create a pool at the front/side of the house sufficient to pour in more than 6" of water; it's not even particularly sewagey.

Woke up this morning realising that the stuff which I am potentially going to find hardest to recover is my data. Both the NAS and backup drive were below the water line, albeit in different places; properly dried I think they'll both work long enough to get the data off but until I try it I can't be sure. Losing power leads to pretty much everything (transformers in the leads) is going to be a pain; they're never easy to replace on their own.

THat sucks. My parents moved to high ground a few years back, as it happened about a year before the old house ended up over a foot under water.

I went up that week and helped our old neighbours take stuff to a handily empty RAF house and it was heartbreaking to see the damage.

They couldn't just repaint, the floorboards had to be treated and then left for weeks to get rid of bacteria etc.

Hope you get everything sorted, especially photos and data!

Simon this sucks very, very muchly.

Put the hard drives in the warmest place you can find for as long as you can before trying to get anything off them, but you already know this.

And although I've found power leads easy enough to source, paying for them is far more painful. I think a Vaio power lead was the best part of 70 quid :(

Sounds about right for the Vaio lead. I'm off to the Sony Centre later...

exiges said...

The river crossing our land burst its banks again last night.

What River is that ? any fish in it ? ;)

I fish the Rivers most weekends and you would be amazed just how little rain will cause a one to flood, the Warwickshire Stour is a good example, from more or less a shallow brook / small river with an extended period of rain it could be meters up in hours and a raging torrent.

Jobbo it's the worst I've seen the area since the serious floods in 2007, lots of local roads to me are still suffering, hope you get it sorted soon.

Hope the insurance company get it sorted quickly for you Simon.

If you need a new front door, get them to fit a slight raised round one :)

--

Yes, yes, yes, I'm doing that all the time. You don't have to remind me every 10 seconds.

_Mick_N said...

I fish the Rivers most weekends and you would be amazed just how little rain will cause a one to flood, the Warwickshire Stour is a good example, from more or less a shallow brook / small river with an extended period of rain it could be meters up in hours and a raging torrent.

Jobbo it's the worst I've seen the area since the serious floods in 2007, lots of local roads to me are still suffering, hope you get it sorted soon.

Ironically we were planning to go out yesterday and look at the swollen rivers just to see how bad it was. Didn't get round to it, not feeling like I want to now :lol:

You not near the Arrow then Jobbo ?

http://www.environment-agency.co.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/riverstation.aspx?StationId=2047&RegionId=2&AreaId='+7&CatchmentId=33

Bit like the Stour that, can flood quickly after an extended period of rain.

Previous | 12345 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular