Forums > Geeks corner > PC component shops?

PC COMPONENT SHOPS?
Previous | 12 | Next

Enjoying MWO a lot, apart from diabolical framerate drops when a lot is happening and having to run low rez.

Pretty sure my old Althon II X2 is to blame, performance monitor says they're both at 100% continuously. So looking for a triple but preferably quad (or sext) core upgrade for not to much cash. Socket AM2/+/3.

Flea bay seems to sell for 80% of new so any reccomendations for an online store?

Overclockers.co.uk, ebuyer.co.uk, novatech.co.uk

They're all pretty good, just check best for price.

dont forget good old Amazon (Processors Section).

+ if you buy enough stuff from them, you'll benefit more from their cheap prices than you've lost from their lack of tax paying!

Updated November 24, 2012 at 2:51 PM

If you've got an AM2 or AM2+ socket, you might be able to drop a Phenom II 940 in there (or is it 930? I forget)...

I have one in my VM server and it's perfectly adequate. Might want to budget for a decent midrange GPU (AMD 7770) as well.

And a power supply to run it.

Um....:lol:

I got a decent mobo that does support the phenoms, they are a bit more exxy than athlons though and I think the main problem is not enough cores rather than slow cores.

GPU is old 4850 but as I've got all the AA and shiney off I think it's geometry crunching that is killing the fps.

PSU is OK for now.

I'll be honest, I went from a Q6600 to an A8-3870K, and that did not much for my frame rates with a 4850 - quad core to quad core, natch. Both about the same, math wise.

Put a 7770 in there, and the difference is staggering. Mind you, I am only playing HL2/Portal :lol:

I tested MWO at 1080 then 720 and now down to 1024x768 (great on a 24" widescreen :( ) and with each reduction got a fair increase in fps which iirc means the CPU isn't handling doing all the geometry. GPU just does shading and AA I think? Would be nice to update the GPU too but I don't thunk Santa will be that generous :)

Have you played HL2 cinematic mod? Now THAT will give you some shiney to admire!

Updated November 26, 2012 at 9:44 PM

If you are interested in a budget upgrade I'm thinking about upgrading to a new bundle at home (currently Overclockers Q6600 quad core @ 3.4Ghz, 5870 gfx etc).

Cheers,
Jon

Just Jon Innit said...

If you are interested in a budget upgrade I'm thinking about upgrading to a new bundle at home (currently Overclockers Q6600 quad core @ 3.4Ghz, 5870 gfx etc).

Cheers,
Jon

Tempting but a fair price would be well over my budget.:cry:

I dunno - stick an SSD in that and it'd be as fast as anything else available right now in the real world.

Evonomics, man!

Talking of which, the nipper wants a cheap turnkey desktop for Minecraft and the new Elder Scrolls/Skyrim MMORPG.
Any suggestions?

I have suggested he sticks with the xbox and "gets a life", but apparently a PC would be handy for schoolwork, too.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

RobYob said...

Just Jon Innit said...

Cheers,
Jon

Well I think the gfx card is the only thing worth a deal there, so if you reckon your CPU is the bottleneck, I could just do the mobo (need to look up what it is), CPU/cooler/ram, ready to drop in?

Just Jon Innit said...

RobYob said...

Just Jon Innit said...

Jon

Well I think the gfx card is the only thing worth a deal there, so if you reckon your CPU is the bottleneck, I could just do the mobo (need to look up what it is), CPU/cooler/ram, ready to drop in?

Q6600 still get a good price on fleabay tbh. But if you want to PM me a price I'll see if I can raid the piggy bank.

Si_ said...

Talking of which, the nipper wants a cheap turnkey desktop for Minecraft and the new Elder Scrolls/Skyrim MMORPG.
Any suggestions?

I have suggested he sticks with the xbox and "gets a life", but apparently a PC would be handy for schoolwork, too.

Tomshardware budget PC guides will be a good pointer for you. Man up and build your own with him ;) they click together very easily these days, no more using a crowbar to get heatsinks on etc.

Anandtech

+
scan

Job done.

RobYob said...

Si_ said...

Any suggestions?

Tomshardware budget PC guides will be a good pointer for you. Man up and build your own with him ;) they click together very easily these days, no more using a crowbar to get heatsinks on etc.

I've been building my own PC's since 1993. I'm not convinced it's any cheaper than a turnkey system, especially when you cost in the OS.

--

Stupidly overcomplex too much choice crap.

<buys another android tablet>

--

Si_ said...

I've been building my own PC's since 1993. I'm not convinced it's any cheaper than a turnkey system, especially when you cost in the OS.

'93 for a PC? I think I still had a c64....
Agree for a full system it's hard to beat prebuilt on price.

Si_ said...

LOLage.

Brazos CPU/MObo combo - £50

8gb 1066mhz RAM - £30

Just add old HDD, PSU, chassis, you have a perfectly usable computer for under £100.

I have an old Athlon tower from 2004.... With a Geforce whatever card... used to run Doom4 at 120FPS. Currently lacking an OS.

Quite tempted by THIS tho

--

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular