Forums > General > FAO computer folk

FAO COMPUTER FOLK
Previous | 1 | Next

Afternoon one and all. My trusty HP laptop has had a knackered screen for the past couple of months now so I've been running it on my TV. I've searched a bit and if I'm honest I'm not sure what to go for laptop wise. What would you guys recommend up to £500 that can be used for some gaming, uni work, photo editing?

Found this but I had a Vaio many moons ago and the screen broke after just a year.

click

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

What size screen are you looking at? 15.6" is the standard these days so you can get a lot of laptop for a reasonable price in that size.

Downside is that they're a bit heavy and unwieldy (although I've had one for nearly four years and I generally find it to be fine).

Also any requirements for resolution (assume 1366x768 is not acceptable), drive space, etc.?

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

DeskJockey said...

What size screen are you looking at? 15.6" is the standard these days so you can get a lot of laptop for a reasonable price in that size.

Downside is that they're a bit heavy and unwieldy (although I've had one for nearly four years and I generally find it to be fine).

Also any requirements for resolution (assume 1366x768 is not acceptable), drive space, etc.?

Not too bothered about screen size, just as long as it has HDMI as I'll be running it on my TV. I put most of my stuff on an external Hard drive so as long as the HDD is reasonably sized then it's all good.

I would however like to play Rfactor, Race 07, Sim Raceway so good graphics and RAM and a decent processor (been told by brother i5 or i7) are a minimum.

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

This Acer looks like it might fit the bill if you can stretch to an extra £10.

Cheaper here.

Updated November 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM

--

DeskJockey
---

Looks very good DJ, found the same one on Laptops direct, but it has more RAM and better graphics for £494. Silly question but how well are Acer's laptops made? I've got a desktop from Acer that is excellent but their laptops are an unknown to me.

--

They've come on leaps and bounds. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. They can feel a bit cheap, but build quality is good. Bought one for the wife last year and it hasn't given me a moments grief.

--

DeskJockey
---

Excellent. My outgoing laptop has lasted me over 4 years, fingers crossed this Acer one will last as long. 8)

--

Try to pick up something with at least a gig of dedicated graphics.

My dad has a Vaio with i7 processor at 3.70 but only intel 4000 graphics and it struggles with minecraft.
I got an alienware desktop 6 months ago with the same processor but 1gb dedicated graphics and it plays everything I chuck at it on almost all full settings (f1 2012, iracing, World of Tanks, Saints Row 3...)

So I'd say the graphics card is the limiting factor.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Mito Man said...

Apparently the mentioned Acer V5-571G has 1GB graphics:
"Graphics: Dedicated (NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M with 1GB Dedicated Memory)"

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

pilouil said...

Mito Man said...

Apparently the mentioned Acer V5-571G has 1GB graphics:
"Graphics: Dedicated (NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M with 1GB Dedicated Memory)"

Correctomundo. A gig of graphics means it will make Rfactor, et all look very lovely indeed. I'd love an Alienware set up one day but there are a list of things higher on the want list than a mega gaming rig for the foreseeable future.

--

I'll see you Core i5 and raise you an i7 (6GB RAM and 1TB disk too) and it's a Dell:

Inspiron 15R - 5520
Inspiron 15R - 5520
Processor: Intel Core i7-3612QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.3GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
6 GB DDR3 Dual Channel 1600MHz (2 DIMMs)
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
8X DVD+/-RW Drive
Display: 15.6 inch High Definition LED Display (1366 x 768) with TrueLife
Graphics : 1GB AMD Radeon HD 7670M
English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64Bit OS)
Back Up Media Not Included
Wireless : Intel 2230 Wireless Card + BT
LCD Back Cover: Moon Silver Switch Cover
Battery : Primary 6 Cell 48W/HR
Internal Qwerty Keyboard

£396+VAT and Delivery from the Dell Outlet, they say refurb but most current spec ones always used to be cancelled orders, the father in law has bought at least 10 and they have all been new.

Carl.

Updated November 23, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Dr Carlos said...

I'll see you Core i5 and raise you an i7 (6GB RAM and 1TB disk too) and it's a Dell:

Inspiron 15R - 5520
Inspiron 15R - 5520
Processor: Intel Core i7-3612QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.3GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
6 GB DDR3 Dual Channel 1600MHz (2 DIMMs)
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
8X DVD+/-RW Drive
Display: 15.6 inch High Definition LED Display (1366 x 768) with TrueLife
Graphics : 1GB AMD Radeon HD 7670M
English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64Bit OS)
Back Up Media Not Included
Wireless : Intel 2230 Wireless Card + BT
LCD Back Cover: Moon Silver Switch Cover
Battery : Primary 6 Cell 48W/HR
Internal Qwerty Keyboard

£396+VAT and Delivery from the Dell Outlet, they say refurb but most current spec ones always used to be cancelled orders, the father in law has bought at least 10 and they have all been new.

Carl.

link?

--

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=7&c=uk&cs=ukdfh1

Not sure if it will work as the sites a bit odd.

Have to check the Inspiron 15r and 512mb and higher graphics boxes.

Carl.

Updated November 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular